The Student Room Group

Lose a stone quickly !!

So far I've lost 3 stone - but quite unhealthily - third last stone I want to lose via things like jogging and cutting down on calories - but how do I go about that - like how many calories should I was day - or should I even worry about calories - and how long should I run for - I mean I can't even run - so how do I put a running plan together ??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
How many calories would you say you eat on a daily basis?
Usually, people who want to lose weight, cut down to about 1500 calories a day, from the regular 2000-3000. However if you are planning on doing regular exercise, then you are going to have to keep the calorie intake up around the 2000 mark, as you will be requiring more energy to make up for the amount that's been used up by jogging etc.
For cardiovascular activities like running, try and increase the time you go running for each time. So start out at 20 minutes, then, 30 minutes, 40 minutes, 1 hour... So that you're building up your stamina each time you go. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If you want to lose weight healthily, you can't lose it quickly. Depending on your weight, 1-2lb is normally recommended per week, so you're talking at least 2 months.

If you want to start jogging, try the Couch to 5k program. You can download apps for it, or download podcasts from the NHS website.
I would be interested to know how you lost 3 stones in more detail (since I want to get back to 7 stones but am 8.5 stones)

When you say "unhealthily" what do you mean?

How many times a week did you go running? but then you say you can't run but you want to jog?

Sorry just a bit confused about what you are asking for ...
Reply 4
Original post by livelylettuce
I would be interested to know how you lost 3 stones in more detail (since I want to get back to 7 stones but am 8.5 stones)

When you say "unhealthily" what do you mean?

How many times a week did you go running? but then you say you can't run but you want to jog?

Sorry just a bit confused about what you are asking for ...

I mean I ate like hardly anything and did too much exercise - and the exercise I did was like home aerobics and stuff - and I lost loads of weight - but that's not healthy is it - now I want to lose the last bit of weight by running and eating healthily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by SheldonCooper_96
How many calories would you say you eat on a daily basis?
Usually, people who want to lose weight, cut down to about 1500 calories a day, from the regular 2000-3000. However if you are planning on doing regular exercise, then you are going to have to keep the calorie intake up around the 2000 mark, as you will be requiring more energy to make up for the amount that's been used up by jogging etc.
For cardiovascular activities like running, try and increase the time you go running for each time. So start out at 20 minutes, then, 30 minutes, 40 minutes, 1 hour... So that you're building up your stamina each time you go. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the moment I'm eating like 1200 calories - which feels too little and unhealthy - but thanks - ill try slowly building up running - hopefully I won't eat too much and counteract it !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi :smile:

Can't say I know a lot about losing weight, but I followed an eight week zero to 5k programme last year (took me 10 weeks, so it's not strict), and my fitness and health increased dramatically. Combined with karate classes (aka any muscular training), my heart rate dropped from 65 to 55, and I felt amazing.

5k programmes are widely available - just google it. They start from barely being able to jog 100m to 5k in 8 to 15 weeks, but they'll benefit you even if you're better than that. I really recommend it, but you have to be consistent and you won't see significant fitness results until about five weeks in. It's worth it.

Your calories depend on how heavy and / or active you are, but if you calculate your BMR online (roughly - it's not very accurate), and take 500 calories off you should lose about 1lb a week. this will be about 1200-1500 calories - I wouldn't eat fewer than 1200. Clean foods and cardio and strength training and you're sorted.

Sorry if that was patronising - don't mean it to be, but I was very new to exercise (aged 18), and that's what helped me :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I've found a good website that helps keep track of calorie intake and activity levels. They also have a calculator based on your age, height, weight and goals that gives you a calorie intake you should aim at. I've found it pretty helpful. :smile:
http://caloriecount.about.com/
This thread has helped me..I've shifted nearly 3 stone and struggling to shift the last two I want rid of :smile: Will start to implement these ideas. Thx

Quick Reply

Latest