The Student Room Group

"So you did *insert subject here* at uni, why this job?"

Hi guys, just a question for anyone who can offer some help.

I have a job interview soon for a sales advisor. I've had quite a few interviews in the past few months for the same type of roles and have been rejected. I always research the company well and think I'm articulate and give good responses to the questions I'm asked, but there's one that I think may have been a factor in my constant knock backs.

Basically I have a degree in Drama and it's what I want to do in life as a career. I think though that it may be my downfall when employers see this on my CV as they think I'm only wanting the job until something better comes along (and to be honest they're half right as I don't want to be stuck in retail forever but that doesn't stop me from doing the job 100 percent anyway. I'm a good worker)

So how would you guys answer the question that's in the title? I do say when I'm asked that I do want to act but in perusing it in my spare time at the moment but I think I need to word it better so they don't think I'm not serious about the job. Obviously I can't just lie outright and say I want a career in retail because they will be wondering why I even bothered taking drama in uni and it won't make much sense.

Anybody have an idea of what I can say incase they ask which is a happy balance between the two so they are satisfied that I'm not going to bugger off in a few months time (which I really won't. If I get this job I intend to cherish it as I've been unemployed for a few months now)

Thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
You could always say that you are looking for a challenge to test your skills. I never had an interview for Retail job because probably the same, they see my degree in Business Administration and think that I might leave as soon as a new opportunity arises.. But they shouldn't judge us upon our previous choices.

Are you able to include a cover letter or a support statement or anything for additional information?There you could explain why you want to work in Retail when you have a degree in different discipline :smile:

I wish they would judge less as I also need a job but cannot seem to get it due to my degree being irrelevant :K:
Reply 2
Original post by ForgetMe
You could always say that you are looking for a challenge to test your skills. I never had an interview for Retail job because probably the same, they see my degree in Business Administration and think that I might leave as soon as a new opportunity arises.. But they shouldn't judge us upon our previous choices.

Are you able to include a cover letter or a support statement or anything for additional information?There you could explain why you want to work in Retail when you have a degree in different discipline :smile:

I wish they would judge less as I also need a job but cannot seem to get it due to my degree being irrelevant :K:

Thanks for the advice ForgetMe. It's frustrating isn't it? Not being able to get a job because an employer may think you're "overqualified" for the position based on your degree. They must realise that there are thousands upon thousands of graduates out of work now, if we didn't want the job then we wouldn't of applied in the first place.

In my last interview I explained that drama was something I was perusing in my spare time and I need and want a job to challenge me. I might have to word it differently for my next one though. I have three interviews next week so hopefully I'll get at least one job out of it!

I hope you find a job soon. The way things are at the moment, everyone is feeling the pinch :frown:
Reply 3
Lie a tiny bit - say you studied drama at university because you had a genuine interest in it at that point in your life and wanted to spend three years studying it further at university, and that whilst you really enjoyed your degree and put a lot of effort into doing well, you didn't study it because it was what you wanted a career in, but because you knew you'd find it to be an interesting and fulfilling degree, and at 18 you weren't yet 100% certain on the career path you wanted to follow so you simply studied something you enjoyed and were good at. Then go into all the transferable skills you developed whilst studying at university both in your degree and in extra-curricular activities to show that you didn't spend three years just being a stereotypical student but actually spent the time developing your employment prospects and professional skills.

Good luck!!!
Tbh drama isn't a broad degree so I am surprised they would
Think you are overqualified as such
Reply 5
Original post by Jessica_T
Lie a tiny bit - say you studied drama at university because you had a genuine interest in it at that point in your life and wanted to spend three years studying it further at university, and that whilst you really enjoyed your degree and put a lot of effort into doing well, you didn't study it because it was what you wanted a career in, but because you knew you'd find it to be an interesting and fulfilling degree, and at 18 you weren't yet 100% certain on the career path you wanted to follow so you simply studied something you enjoyed and were good at. Then go into all the transferable skills you developed whilst studying at university both in your degree and in extra-curricular activities to show that you didn't spend three years just being a stereotypical student but actually spent the time developing your employment prospects and professional skills.

Good luck!!!

Great advice Jessica, thank you! Hopefully that will win them round a bit more :biggrin:

Original post by ledleyking123
Tbh drama isn't a broad degree so I am surprised they would
Think you are overqualified as such

Well I thought the same. I didn't really think my degree would go against me as such seeing as it's a really hard sector to get into. I think maybe it also be because I've been saying in previous interviews that I do ultimately want to get into acting but I'm now going to have to go with Jessica's advice and just lie. I'm willing to say anything at this point for a job.
Reply 6
Original post by TheCreed
Great advice Jessica, thank you! Hopefully that will win them round a bit more :biggrin:

Well I thought the same. I didn't really think my degree would go against me as such seeing as it's a really hard sector to get into. I think maybe it also be because I've been saying in previous interviews that I do ultimately want to get into acting but I'm now going to have to go with Jessica's advice and just lie. I'm willing to say anything at this point for a job.

Glad you seemed to like the advice :smile: another point that's important - when you're telling them that at 18 you didn't know what you wanted a career in (but now you've left uni you know you want to work in retail - this part is obviously the fib) you need to be prepared to tell them why you want to work in retail and maybe how you came to that decision in the three years you were at uni.

Also, if you genuinely aren't interested in retail as a career, have a long hard think about what you are at least a bit interested in or would enjoy other than acting and pursue that too. Enthusiasm (or lack thereof) does show in an interview, and actually wanting to work in the sector you're applying for makes some of the questions easier to answer ("why this job, why this company, why should we pick you, where do you see yourself in 5 years time, what can you bring to us" etc)
Reply 7
Original post by Jessica_T
Glad you seemed to like the advice :smile: another point that's important - when you're telling them that at 18 you didn't know what you wanted a career in (but now you've left uni you know you want to work in retail - this part is obviously the fib) you need to be prepared to tell them why you want to work in retail and maybe how you came to that decision in the three years you were at uni.

Also, if you genuinely aren't interested in retail as a career, have a long hard think about what you are at least a bit interested in or would enjoy other than acting and pursue that too. Enthusiasm (or lack thereof) does show in an interview, and actually wanting to work in the sector you're applying for makes some of the questions easier to answer ("why this job, why this company, why should we pick you, where do you see yourself in 5 years time, what can you bring to us" etc)

Thanks a lot for the tips! I'm going to write out an answer to this question just in case it comes up, tailoring it to the job role :smile:

Yes, I agree. I also think that may be another contributing factor in interviews is that they might see that the job isn't a career for me by my responses. I try to seem enthusiastic in the interviews but maybe it's something you just can't fake? I've been thinking about possible career paths other than acting (it's something I'm doing in my spare time, extra work, auditioning and writing my own things and such) and I guess I'm just at a loss at the moment. I can't picture myself being happy in anything but acting if I'm honest but I know how hard it is to get into and it's sensible to have a backup.

I know I'd love to be a writer as a career if acting didn't turn out and I'm planning on writing a few books when I can, maybe get them out there for the Kindle. I'd also love to do graphic design but a lot of jobs like that require experience. I've just been creating in Photoshop in my spare time for the past six years now, no qualifications though. Anything where I could be creative, I'd love a career out of really. At the moment I'm just looking for jobs in which I have experience in because, well, I need the money basically.

Sorry, I'm rambling now :colondollar: But thanks again for the advice! It's much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending