The Student Room Group

How much do you expect to earn

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a10
8 years to get to that???! i thought radiographers get way more

Sorry, 7 years. Not much better and that is hoping there are no more pay freezes.

You can jump up to Band 6 which starts at £25,000 in a couple of years if you take the right path and go in to CT or one of the other modalities or become a senior radiographer. If you stay as a basic plain film radiographer then you just work your way up Band 5 and then stop.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/working-in-the-nhs/pay-and-benefits/agenda-for-change-pay-rates/
I got 20k starting salary, which is about what I expected. I should be getting 25k after 1 year, and I would expect to be earning 35-40k within a few years. But not necessarily in the same job... Eventually I'd like to earn 60k or more, which is achievable with a bit of hard work.
Reply 42
Managed to get a grad job at 26k. I'm just grateful for that. Don't be greedy with expectations and appreciate what you have.
Well hopefully it will be as a secondary biology teacher and I think the starting wage is like 21k or something :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by playingcards
I’m currently on £17.5k in Central London, and only then if I work all year without holidays or sick leave, neither of which are paid. I left Oxford in 2011 with a First.
Not sure where it all went wrong for me. Should probably have gone to those corporate law and investment banking seminars that other people seemed to know were happening.
Hey ho, back to uni.

Can't believe 1st from Oxford only getting that, what did you study tho?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maple1736

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because someone has a 1st class degree from Oxford it doesn't necessarily mean they're very employable. It's not all about university prestige and degree classification. Skills and work experience are arguably more important.
Original post by maple1736

Posted from TSR Mobile

Modern History =)

To be fair, I've got a bit of funding to head back to uni, so in the past few months have turned down a few offers in sectors where I don't really want to work.

But that initial jolt of leaving uni with a good degree, and (contrary to the person above) plenty of relevant work experience, is not pleasant.
Reply 47
Average (median) starting graduate salary is £29,000 if you only include the top 100 employers.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport13.pdf
Reply 48
Original post by tret
Average (median) starting graduate salary is £29,000 if you only include the top 100 employers.

Pretty much makes that figure pointless then. Not all graduates go for jobs in corperations. Also corperations always pay graduates a higher starting salary simply because they can afford to, so this figure is bound to be higher. Last time I checked the average salary was 26k but I even think this is a bit too high, I'm thinking more around 21-24k. I dont often come accross a graduate salary at 29k. It's usually "up to 28k" which means your probably going to get a little less because of the little room required to haggle.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Modern History =)

To be fair, I've got a bit of funding to head back to uni, so in the past few months have turned down a few offers in sectors where I don't really want to work.

But that initial jolt of leaving uni with a good degree, and (contrary to the person above) plenty of relevant work experience, is not pleasant.

Well, it's a very good subject for getting into the academic world if you really enjoy it! Based on you degree performance I am sure you will do well if you do go down to that path!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by tret

Average (median) starting graduate salary is £45,000 if you only include investment banks.

What an incredibly pointless statement.

Modern History =)

As you've already got a first from Oxford, what possible good do you think going back to university will do? A masters is unlikely to offer you very much from an employability perspective.
Original post by Sagga
Between £33k to £36k.

That is the average for my degree from a top uni.

Warwick computer science student.

Not in your first year, you're not... (Or unlikely)
tree fiddy
Original post by M1011

As you've already got a first from Oxford, what possible good do you think going back to university will do? A masters is unlikely to offer you very much from an employability perspective.

Au contraire. It offers a huge amount. Culturally, socially, intellectually, with the added bonus that I don’t need to pay for this.

It also enhances career prospects in the sectors which are truly tough to crack. Job opportunities in the UN, Foreign Office, DfID and EU will be far more accessible with a good MA in International Relations.
Reply 54
Au contraire. It offers a huge amount. Culturally, socially, intellectually, with the added bonus that I don’t need to pay for this.

It also enhances career prospects in the sectors which are truly tough to crack. Job opportunities in the UN, Foreign Office, DfID and EU will be far more accessible with a good MA in International Relations.

My feeling is that it offers exactly what I went to uni for - a chance to do more of something you love. But I admit this may not be a majority opinion.

OP: I started on ~25k, but with pretty good raise potential. For non-London, I'm not upset with that.
Reply 55
1) Au contraire. It offers a huge amount. 2) Culturally, socially, intellectually, with the 3) added bonus that I don’t need to pay for this.

4) It also enhances career prospects in the sectors which are truly tough to crack. Job opportunities in the UN, Foreign Office, DfID and EU will be far more accessible with a good MA in International Relations.

1) Speaking from experience?

2) Tosh - you don't need to be at university (again) to expand intellectually etc.

3) Or get paid.

4) Well good luck to you, but if you didn't manage to land a decent job with a first from Oxford then I doubt it was your academics letting you down.
Original post by M1011
1) Speaking from experience?

2) Tosh - you don't need to be at university (again) to expand intellectually etc.

3) Or get paid.

4) Well good luck to you, but if you didn't manage to land a decent job with a first from Oxford then I doubt it was your academics letting you down.

1,2: Well yes. I love learning, and university is the best place to learn. Having people around chasing the same questions, professors to give advice and guidance, that crucial accreditation of quality, and finally the conferral of a degree, which is not just “a bit of paper” but rather an acknowledgement of your ability level by peers and experts in the field. The problem with your Will Hunting-esque spiel is that: a) most intellectual expansion requires a teacher to explain and clarify things if one is not a genius; b) there’s no quality control in independent learning.

3. Well I am. Im given money to live and travel and buy food. You mean : "not paid much", which is entirely different.

4. Hmm. Well that depends on your definition of 'decent'. Could I have taken up my offers with PwC and KPMG and a few others? Sure, but Id have been bored rigid. Instead I've decided to take a chance on a career that I'll actually, yknow, enjoy. If it doesn't work out I know I can take that easy route to money in the bank and a life-sapping existence behind a desk, but at 23 I’m willing to back myself to do something a bit more exciting. Money will still be there in 10 years.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by de_monies
Not in your first year, you're not... (Or unlikely)

First year right student right now. Have internship offer for 3 months. £25k pro rata. 3 and a half years left still at uni...
40-50k

yes, I have sold my soul (To the highest bidder):P
Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse
Just because someone has a 1st class degree from Oxford it doesn't necessarily mean they're very employable. It's not all about university prestige and degree classification. Skills and work experience are arguably more important.

Yes it is. I'll have you know I've been posting on TSR for years, and even though I've never had a job, or have any job experience, I'm going to Cambridge in October so when I graduate I'll be earning at least £25,000.

Everyone knows that if you have a degree from Oxford or Cambridge then you won't struggle to get a job when you graduate. Why would employers hire someone with experience but a degree from a poor university like Warwick or Sheffield? Especially if they only got a 2:1. Do you know anything?

- errr...sorry. Accidentally turned into I'msoacademic for a moment there.

Degree classification and alma mater are very important but only to a point - employers really aren't going to fanny about with league tables when it comes to seeing who is better, a 2:1 from Leeds or a 2:1 from Sheffield. It's based on interview performance, prior experience, suitability for role, etc. A first from Oxford is great, but have you had a job before? Are you an unemployable spenk who knows the square root of 9424924920 but has never had a job before?

Just because someone graduated from Oxford doesn't mean they have a right to a good wage or should expect one based on university alone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending