The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iRaii
University of Bath or University of Bristol for EEE?
Stuck between which to choose and why.

At the end of the day its only your decision (i.e. choose where YOU would rather study), and other peoples opinions may vary. But I'd say the latter.
Reply 61
anyone been to a manchester/sheffield/nottingham EEE interview? any tips? especially for the technical questions but any would be helpful!
Original post by #Study
anyone been to a manchester/sheffield/nottingham EEE interview? any tips? especially for the technical questions but any would be helpful!

I had interviews from Nottingham and Manchester last year, Manchester asked basic A level maths and Nottingham asked nothing technical. Declined the Sheffield interview and they gave me the offer anyway haha, you don't need to worry too much, just rehearse the basic questions they'd ask and speak well. Good luck!

Original post by iRaii
University of Bath or University of Bristol for EEE?
Stuck between which to choose and why.

Both pretty much equal for EEE so maybe consider the fact that Bath is a campus whereas Bristol is integrated with the City, or the nightlife/accomodation? Although my mate at Bath has gone on nights out to Bristol since they're quite nearby... Both are great!

EDIT: Regarding my interview experiences, remember they might be different for you! I'm just saying what happened in my case!
Reply 63
Original post by OllieGCSEs
I had interviews from Nottingham and Manchester last year, Manchester asked basic A level maths and Nottingham asked nothing technical. Declined the Sheffield interview and they gave me the offer anyway haha, you don't need to worry too much, just rehearse the basic questions they'd ask and speak well. Good luck!

EDIT: Regarding my interview experiences, remember they might be different for you! I'm just saying what happened in my case!

Thanks, so do sheffield accept you even if you decline the interview! was it beng/meng EEE? and so what sorta "basic" a level maths questions are they? cheers!
Original post by #Study
Thanks, so do sheffield accept you even if you decline the interview! was it beng/meng EEE? and so what sorta "basic" a level maths questions are they? cheers!

My reasoning was that it was way too far to go, an expensive train ticket, AS WELL as my last choice so I politely declined the interview and they offered me a place anyway. BUT that doesn't mean it'd happen to you! I'd already had offers from other choices so there was really no point in going! Men Electronic Engineering. I think I had 3 questions: one was ratios, one was proving cos^2 + sin^2 = 1, and the other was some sort of mechanics question, SUVAT stuff if I remember correctly. It'll change every year though, I expect!
Reply 65
Original post by OllieGCSEs
My reasoning was that it was way too far to go, an expensive train ticket, AS WELL as my last choice so I politely declined the interview and they offered me a place anyway. BUT that doesn't mean it'd happen to you! I'd already had offers from other choices so there was really no point in going! Men Electronic Engineering. I think I had 3 questions: one was ratios, one was proving cos^2 + sin^2 = 1, and the other was some sort of mechanics question, SUVAT stuff if I remember correctly. It'll change every year though, I expect!

Oh ok, thanks! Where are you now? And what is first year like? btw shef are the only one who are saying they can reimburse our train travel fare.
Original post by #Study
Oh ok, thanks! Where are you now? And what is first year like? btw shef are the only one who are saying they can reimburse our train travel fare.

No problem! I'm at Southampton, first year is amazing, we do so many labs and they're so interesting! Ahh well maybe they introduced that this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
At the end of the day its only your decision (i.e. choose where YOU would rather study), and other peoples opinions may vary. But I'd say the latter.

I know, but I want to be going to the best university possible.
My dillemma is:

University of Bath - Top 10 University in the UK, lower than Bristol for EEE

University of Bristol - Top 20 University in the UK, however also holds a ranking in the world rankings and is higher in the top UK unis for EEE

The hook I have for Bath is that it's a top 10 UK university mainly but also without a doubt is a beautiful campus.

The hook I have for Bristol is that it is a strong well-rounded university in a variety of other disciplines.
Original post by iRaii
I know, but I want to be going to the best university possible.
My dillemma is:

University of Bath - Top 10 University in the UK, lower than Bristol for EEE

University of Bristol - Top 20 University in the UK, however also holds a ranking in the world rankings and is higher in the top UK unis for EEE

The hook I have for Bath is that it's a top 10 UK university mainly but also without a doubt is a beautiful campus.

The hook I have for Bristol is that it is a strong well-rounded university in a variety of other disciplines.

Who cares what the rep for the uni is if it's good for your course... The people who matter (future employers) will only care about it's standings for your specific course. Therefore, I'd go for Bath
Hey guys,

Pretty much set on going to Birmingham next year to study EEE.

Thing is, I do Maths, Phys and Econ at A Level, and although I'm really interested in EEE, i still absolutely love Economics and I am interested in getting into the finance industry!

Now, Birmingham offer a Electronic Engineering and Business Management Degree! And a LOT of the modules on the BMan part of the degree is Business Economics!

Are there any people on here currently studying that degree, or know someone who does? It'd be really great to get some insight to what the course is like!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 70
I'm pretty sure that with ANY EEE you can easily get know finance if u at least get a 2:1. I heard the finance industry love engineers.
Original post by Yume
I'm pretty sure that with ANY EEE you can easily get know finance if u at least get a 2:1. I heard the finance industry love engineers.

I've heard that too :wink: It'd just be a shame to leave my economics studies behind.
Hey guys, my first post on tsr woo! Anyway, I'm stuck between Manchester and Leeds for EEE, any tips/views on the course/department?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OhRickiursofine
Hey guys, my first post on tsr woo! Anyway, I'm stuck between Manchester and Leeds for EEE, any tips/views on the course/department?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you been on any of the applicant days yet?
Yeah I went to both, they're both asking for AAA, I can't decide between the big faculty at Manchester and the smaller faculty at Leeds. I'm guessing Manchester would have more options available in the fourth year as there's more staff but would the smaller size of Leeds provide a better relationship with staff? Both do additional years in industry and both have links with the UKESF, with Manchester also being part of the Power Academy which would help if I wanted to go into electrical instead electronic but I'm unsure.

In terms of the cities they both seem great (I live in a tiny town by comparison) and whilst Manchester's based in the city, the accommodation (based on Fallowfield) is around 2.5 miles from the department, compared to Leeds where the accommodation for first years is on campus. I didn't get a chance to see Manchester's accommodation though so I don't know what it's like. But I guess after the first year in both unis you'll have to travel in anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I went to both, they're both asking for AAA, I can't decide between the big faculty at Manchester and the smaller faculty at Leeds. I'm guessing Manchester would have more options available in the fourth year as there's more staff but would the smaller size of Leeds provide a better relationship with staff? Both do additional years in industry and both have links with the UKESF, with Manchester also being part of the Power Academy which would help if I wanted to go into electrical instead electronic but I'm unsure.

In terms of the cities they both seem great (I live in a tiny town by comparison) and whilst Manchester's based in the city, the accommodation (based on Fallowfield) is around 2.5 miles from the department, compared to Leeds where the accommodation for first years is on campus. I didn't get a chance to see Manchester's accommodation though so I don't know what it's like. But I guess after the first year in both unis you'll have to travel in anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it helps, Manchester does have accommodation outside of Fallowfield. There are a few halls within walking distance to the main campus, as well as a couple right next to North Campus (where EEE's based). In any case, the bus services from Fallowfield are extremely frequent so living there probably wouldn't be as big a deal as you think.

There's a (fairly damning) report on EEE at Leeds in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2903479&page=2

It's very easy for me to recommend Manchester over other places, seeing as it's the only place I've studied at, but I do genuinely think the EEE department here is great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here, in my opinion I preferred Manchester. The staff at at Manchester seemed a LOT better, I'm sure you met the famous Dr. Ogi who has a very addictive personality and had a lecture with Prof. Gaydecki who is such a brilliant and inspiring academic. I know this doesn't represent the whole of the staff, but even my interviewer was a pretty sound guy... he even sent me a post card!! Even though there's less staff at Leeds, already i feel as if I know the staff at Manchester a lot better. (I don't even remember the Leeds lecturers names :colone:)

To be honest I doubt there's very much between the two unis as they are both excellent, there is practically no opportunity cost in choosing either of them. I preferred Manchester just because it feeled better, it felt like a place where i could really fit in.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
If it helps, Manchester does have accommodation outside of Fallowfield. There are a few halls within walking distance to the main campus, as well as a couple right next to North Campus (where EEE's based). In any case, the bus services from Fallowfield are extremely frequent so living there probably wouldn't be as big a deal as you think.

There's a (fairly damning) report on EEE at Leeds in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2903479&page=2

It's very easy for me to recommend Manchester over other places, seeing as it's the only place I've studied at, but I do genuinely think the EEE department here is great.

What other universities did you consider before deciding on Manchester? Hmm I'll take a look at them, thanks! Where did you stay during your first year?
Original post by mattdennis
Same here, in my opinion I preferred Manchester. The staff at at Manchester seemed a LOT better, I'm sure you met the famous Dr. Ogi who has a very addictive personality and had a lecture with Prof. Gaydecki who is such a brilliant and inspiring academic. I know this doesn't represent the whole of the staff, but even my interviewer was a pretty sound guy... he even sent me a post card!! Even though there's less staff at Leeds, already i feel as if I know the staff at Manchester a lot better. (I don't even remember the Leeds lecturers names :colone:)

To be honest I doubt there's very much between the two unis as they are both excellent, there is practically no opportunity cost in choosing either of them. I preferred Manchester just because it feeled better, it felt like a place where i could really fit in.

Haha yeah I remember Ogi! Was Prof. Gaydecki the one who did a lecture on digital signal processing? I got a postcard too, I think they must all must have been told to write one haha. Do you prefer Manchester out of your other choices? I still have Bristol and Southampton to consider :s-smilie:
What other universities did you consider before deciding on Manchester? Hmm I'll take a look at them, thanks! Where did you stay during your first year?

Not many, I was only able to apply to universities near to me so that severely limited my options. I also commute from home so I don't really have any experience of any of the accommodation.

Quick Reply