The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Not many, I was only able to apply to universities near to me so that severely limited my options. I also commute from home so I don't really have any experience of any of the accommodation.

Thanks anyway, how have you found the course so far? One of the things that's currently holding me back from choosing Manchester is that I don't want to end up being just another student if that makes sense, I'm not sure it does haha. Despite the large department, does everyone know everyone else? Would I be able to ask someone for help and s/he recognise me?
Original post by OhRickiursofine
Thanks anyway, how have you found the course so far? One of the things that's currently holding me back from choosing Manchester is that I don't want to end up being just another student if that makes sense, I'm not sure it does haha. Despite the large department, does everyone know everyone else? Would I be able to ask someone for help and s/he recognise me?

I'm still in first year so I've only experienced a small part of the course but I'm really enjoying it so far. It is a big department (there's around 220 of us in first year) but it still feels quite tight-knit and friendly. You're with other students so often that you'll inevitably get to know quite a few people.

The lecturers/staff are also extremely friendly and approachable. Whether they recognise you depends on how often you speak to them. Some people are constantly going down to the front at the end of lectures to ask questions etc. where as others (like me) are happy staying more in the background. You also get a personal tutor with whom you have weekly tutorials with a small group of other students (around 5) so they're always available to help you with problems, whether academic or otherwise.

And Dr. Ogi is amazing, surely you don't need any other reasons to choose Manchester? :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha yeah I remember Ogi! Was Prof. Gaydecki the one who did a lecture on digital signal processing? I got a postcard too, I think they must all must have been told to write one haha. Do you prefer Manchester out of your other choices? I still have Bristol and Southampton to consider :s-smilie:

Yes he was :awesome: I think everyone got a post card, but it was a nice touch! What days did you go to the applicant day, i might have seen you! Well Liverpool was my insurance, and tbf I didn't like the Nottingham campus too much (Although first impressions aren't everything). So that left me with Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester.

After going to all the open days, I decided that I liked Manchester the best just because it "felt" a bit better than the other 3, however, I realized all 3 were good unis and there wasn't much between them. BUUUT Birmingham gave me an unconditional offer, and that tipped the balance in favor of them.

I decided to a bit more research and found there was absolutely loads about Birmingham that I really like that I didn't see on the open day e.g. I'm quite a sporty guy, and not only does Birmingham have a reputation for their excellence in sport, by the time I get their they'll open their new state-of-the-art sports center which looks amazing! Plus they offer a "Electronic Engineering with Business Management" course which i'm currently considering taking; it's not offered at many other unis. There also building a brand new library and their student accommodation is seriously good!
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I'm still in first year so I've only experienced a small part of the course but I'm really enjoying it so far. It is a big department (there's around 220 of us in first year) but it still feels quite tight-knit and friendly. You're with other students so often that you'll inevitably get to know quite a few people.

The lecturers/staff are also extremely friendly and approachable. Whether they recognise you depends on how often you speak to them. Some people are constantly going down to the front at the end of lectures to ask questions etc. where as others (like me) are happy staying more in the background. You also get a personal tutor with whom you have weekly tutorials with a small group of other students (around 5) so they're always available to help you with problems, whether academic or otherwise.

And Dr. Ogi is amazing, surely you don't need any other reasons to choose Manchester? :tongue:

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know Manchester did weekly tutorials, how useful are they? Haha does Dr Ogi teach any of the modules? Also what are the MyDAQs like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mattdennis
Yes he was :awesome: I think everyone got a post card, but it was a nice touch! What days did you go to the applicant day, i might have seen you! Well Liverpool was my insurance, and tbf I didn't like the Nottingham campus too much (Although first impressions aren't everything). So that left me with Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester.

After going to all the open days, I decided that I liked Manchester the best just because it "felt" a bit better than the other 3, however, I realized all 3 were good unis and there wasn't much between them. BUUUT Birmingham gave me an unconditional offer, and that tipped the balance in favor of them.

I decided to a bit more research and found there was absolutely loads about Birmingham that I really like that I didn't see on the open day e.g. I'm quite a sporty guy, and not only does Birmingham have a reputation for their excellence in sport, by the time I get their they'll open their new state-of-the-art sports center which looks amazing! Plus they offer a "Electronic Engineering with Business Management" course which i'm currently considering taking; it's not offered at many other unis. There also building a brand new library and their student accommodation is seriously good!

Congrats on the unconditional! Umm I went to the Manchester one somewhere in October/November and I went to Leeds in December. You seem completely decided on a uni, if only I was the same haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply, I didn't know Manchester did weekly tutorials, how useful are they? Haha does Dr Ogi teach any of the modules? Also what are the MyDAQs like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The tutorials are very useful, although I guess it kind of depends on your tutor's approach. Dr. Ogi teaches Circuit Analysis in first year, I'm not sure if he teaches anything else later on. My MyDAQ's just been sitting on my shelf since I got it, to be honest, but it is useful if you want to do some experiments at home.
Hi. My son is interested in pursuing a career in engineering, though he's not sure which type yet. He's about to choose his options but we're wondering what combination would be best and thought you might be able to help.
He will do English lang and lit, maths, chem, biol, physics and definitely wants to study computer science and electronics Which TWO of the following would he be best off choosing, bearing in mind he may yet come to change his mind about career...
resistant materials GCSE, engineering BTEC, geography GCSE, French GCSE. We are also considering getting him a tutor for German or Spanish, so that he could potentially get a language qualification that way instead of at school. I have to admit he's not keen on languages but we're told a lot of unis like to see a language in the list of qualifications. Hope some of you can help. :smile:
Geography GCSE and French GCSE, that would keep his A-level options open
Geography GCSE and French GCSE, that would keep his A-level options open

Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing that a GCSE in resistant materials isn't really going to improve his chances of a decent uni place then? :smile:
Original post by ali.maria.hd
Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing that a GCSE in resistant materials isn't really going to improve his chances of a decent uni place then? :smile:

Universities aren't really bothered about GCSE's, at least from my experience. As long as you get a C or above in maths and english. It's the A-levels they're interested about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ali.maria.hd
Hi. My son is interested in pursuing a career in engineering, though he's not sure which type yet. He's about to choose his options but we're wondering what combination would be best and thought you might be able to help.
He will do English lang and lit, maths, chem, biol, physics and definitely wants to study computer science and electronics Which TWO of the following would he be best off choosing, bearing in mind he may yet come to change his mind about career...
resistant materials GCSE, engineering BTEC, geography GCSE, French GCSE. We are also considering getting him a tutor for German or Spanish, so that he could potentially get a language qualification that way instead of at school. I have to admit he's not keen on languages but we're told a lot of unis like to see a language in the list of qualifications. Hope some of you can help. :smile:

Universities aren't really bothered about GCSE's, at least from my experience. As long as you get a C or above in maths and english. It's the A-levels they're interested about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually with AS results being scrapped there is more interest and emphasis put on GCSE's by universities. I agree that the Geography GCSE and French GCSE would probably be best to keep his options open.

I hadn't even realised there was such a thing as a GCSE in resistant materials. :redface: I think, at least the top uni's, would prefer GCSE's in the 'main' subjects.
Original post by Faded-Pi
Actually with AS results being scrapped there is more interest and emphasis put on GCSE's by universities. I agree that the Geography GCSE and French GCSE would probably be best to keep his options open.

I hadn't even realised there was such a thing as a GCSE in resistant materials. :redface: I think, at least the top uni's, would prefer GCSE's in the 'main' subjects.

Yes, I think he's decided against the btec now. I'm hoping he'll choose geography which he seems to be veering towards. Art is now a possibility too. Regarding a language, we've decided to give French a miss and may look at Spanish in the future. Thanks for your input. :smile:
Leeds vs Birmingham vs Liverpool vs Lancaster? For Computer (Systems) Engineering? Which are the strong sides of each university and why?

P.S. Please disregard league tables. I can easily look them up. I wanna hear personal opinion (experience) about certain classes, teachers or projects, you know.

I find it hard to make up my mind so any comment would be useful! :smile:
Reply 93
Hello guys,

I am currently struggling either choose Bristol or UCL as my first choice. Both have good EEE departments, while Bristol may have a slightly better reputation in EEE than UCL but for the overall ranking UCL is no doubt higher than Bristol. I am also thinking of the living cost in both cities, how are the prices of accommodation in both after moving out from the student residences after 1st year?
Any advice ?:frown:
Original post by Sumnight
Hello guys,

I am currently struggling either choose Bristol or UCL as my first choice. Both have good EEE departments, while Bristol may have a slightly better reputation in EEE than UCL but for the overall ranking UCL is no doubt higher than Bristol. I am also thinking of the living cost in both cities, how are the prices of accommodation in both after moving out from the student residences after 1st year?
Any advice ?:frown:

I'm struggling between Bristol and some other places, I think Bristol would be cheaper as it's outside London, but I don't know much more on living costs. Have they given you offers with the same grade requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
I'm struggling between Bristol and some other places, I think Bristol would be cheaper as it's outside London, but I don't know much more on living costs. Have they given you offers with the same grade requirements?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are quite the same. Both require AAA, but UCL said I still need a pass in another AS Level.(That is the reason I have picked up AS FM this year) And I also have alternative conditions from both unis. Bristol also accepts A*AB (A* in math and A in physics) and UCL is A*A and pass in Welsh bacc. Welsh bacc is a kind of stuff you have to do it if you study in Wales and it is very easy to achieve above a C.
By the way, which unis are you thinking of? May be I can give some advice. :wink:
Original post by Sumnight
There are quite the same. Both require AAA, but UCL said I still need a pass in another AS Level.(That is the reason I have picked up AS FM this year) And I also have alternative conditions from both unis. Bristol also accepts A*AB (A* in math and A in physics) and UCL is A*A and pass in Welsh bacc. Welsh bacc is a kind of stuff you have to do it if you study in Wales and it is very easy to achieve above a C.
By the way, which unis are you thinking of? May be I can give some advice. :wink:

Hmm other things you could consider include what research each department is doing. If your planning on doing a masters you could see if there's any particular 4 year modules you might like? You could also look on Unistats, what opportunities are available for EEE students at each uni, links with companies for summer placements etc.

I'm doing AS FM this year too! My modules are FP1, M2 and S1, what about you? I've managed to get AAB from Bristol through a contextual offer so I'll probably end up making them my insurance choice. Ah I see, I did the English Bacc at GCSE, only for them to scrap it, if that's a similar thing.

My other choices are Manchester (AAA), Leeds (AAA) and Southampton (A*AA), I'm finding it really hard to choose out of them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Hmm other things you could consider include what research each department is doing. If your planning on doing a masters you could see if there's any particular 4 year modules you might like? You could also look on Unistats, what opportunities are available for EEE students at each uni, links with companies for summer placements etc.

I'm doing AS FM this year too! My modules are FP1, M2 and S1, what about you? I've managed to get AAB from Bristol through a contextual offer so I'll probably end up making them my insurance choice. Ah I see, I did the English Bacc at GCSE, only for them to scrap it, if that's a similar thing.

My other choices are Manchester (AAA), Leeds (AAA) and Southampton (A*AA), I'm finding it really hard to choose out of them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I followed your words and went to their websites to look through the modules and research projects in year 4. The electric vehicle in Bristol and Nanotechnology in UCL are both attractive. Others might be as good as well just I haven't understand what they exactly can be:tongue:

My modules for FM is FP1 D1 and D2. We don't have other choices because our college is only running these module exams for FM. But we did do S1, but as one module for AS maths. No idea about M2, but I found that X2 book is always the tougher one.

If you look back to those threads other people posted before, Southampton, Bristol and Manchester are always the three being mentioned for EEE. (UCL as well but you are not in this case) and more people were saying Southampton is the best uni for EEE, and most engineering degrees. (Only Imperial has the same reputation like that). So if I were you I would choose Southampton as firm and Bristol as insurance.:smile: (The reason I didn't choose Southampton was because its position and gave up Manc because the uni is too packed)
Reply 98
Hi, does anyone here study Electronics at either Southampton or Nottingham? These are my top 2 choices i'm trying to decide on, any information and views on these courses would be helpful, thanks.
Original post by limomo
Hi, does anyone here study Electronics at either Southampton or Nottingham? These are my top 2 choices i'm trying to decide on, any information and views on these courses would be helpful, thanks.

Hey, I'm studying Electronic Engineering at Southampton and would be happy to answer any questions you have. Going to applicant days would help with your decision making too, which you'll get invites for if you haven't had already (assuming you're a strong candidate!).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending