The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hi everyone,
I'm struggling between UCL and Bristol. Both seem to have good EEE departments so it's hard for me to decide
Which one has the best international reputation? (That's quite important to me given that i would like to work abroad in the future)
Original post by dalvp
Hi everyone,
I'm struggling between UCL and Bristol. Both seem to have good EEE departments so it's hard for me to decide
Which one has the best international reputation? (That's quite important to me given that i would like to work abroad in the future)

UCL is far more well known internationally.
Original post by dalvp
Hi everyone,

If want a better name on your degree go with UCL, however in terms of rankings Bristol is better for EEE. Also Bristol is known for its engineering courses, while UCL is not known for its EEE course, plus UCL is in the heart of the most expensive city in the world, the student experience won't be so satisfactory if your cash strapped. Idk, Bristol has some international reputation, I'm an international student and I've already been suggested to apply there for a good EEE course, not UCL.
Original post by dalvp
That's quite important to me given that i would like to work abroad in the future

Noooo! Don't contribute to the 'brain-drain' the country is experiencing!

Lol.

UCL is far better than Bristol in terms of international recognition (and national recognition, to a lesser extent), in the eyes of employers.

With that said, if you do well at Bristol, you will still be attractive to employers regardless, depending on your personality, and how you present yourself. Employers don't only value academic ability.
Reply 124
Thanks for your answers

Original post by HandmadeTurnip
UCL is far more well known internationally.

Original post by McRite
If want a better name on your degree go with UCL.

Original post by Sgt.Incontro

UCL is far better than Bristol in terms of international recognition .

It looks quite obvious that i should go with UCL. But there's a few things i don't get :

Original post by McRite
UCL is not known for its EEE course.

You mean internationally? If so, wouldn't UCL be a bad choice? If a company is looking for an electronic engineer, they won't hire someone coming from a university known for its business course...(that's my opinion, but maybe i'm completely wrong )

Original post by Sgt.Incontro

UCL is far better than Bristol in terms of international recognition (and national recognition, to a lesser extent).

But in terms of ranking Bristol is better than UCL for EEE...That would mean rankings are useless?

I specify that i'm not really interested in non-engineering jobs (consulting,financial services)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dalvp

You mean internationally? If so, wouldn't UCL be a bad choice? If a company is looking for an electronic engineer, they won't hire someone coming from a university known for its business course...(that's my opinion, but maybe i'm completely wrong )

But in terms of ranking Bristol is better than UCL for EEE...That would mean rankings are useless?

You seem to be confusing overall rankings with subject rankings. Overall rankings can tell you how prestigious a university is seen to be, but are generally highly superficial and have very little meaning in the real world. Subject rankings are a bit more reliable as the quality of departments can differ significantly within a single university. UCL is more famous than Bristol but Bristol's EEE department is considered to be slightly better, an engineering company is going to be more concerned with the quality of your education than how famous your university is.

That said, the two departments are so closely ranked that it will make very little difference which one you go to. An employer abroad is probably more likely to recognise UCL purely by name but that's about the only advantage.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
An employer abroad is probably more likely to recognise UCL purely by name but that's about the only advantage.

Non only an employer abroad, but I'd say UK employers would also rate UCL as more prestigious. So UCL is obviously the one to go for (in my opinion), provided you can achieve the grades.

However I want to stress the point that the university you go to is by far not the only factor which determines your employability. It is also important to actually do well on your course (hopefully achieve a 1st), as well as learn the skill of being able to 'sell' yourself (learn presentation skills, communication skills, and being able to pitch your achievements when talking with recruiters/employers) .

So if you do well at Bristol, and can 'sell' yourself, you will be very attractive to employers
Original post by dalvp
x

Quoting OP.
Original post by dalvp

As previous posters said before, the uni is not as necessarily as important as the grades, and the quality of the department is key if you are going to get good grades. So a better department can equal better grades and skills, and better grades and skills equals better employability. Meaning that since Bristol has a better EEE department, your employabilty could be higher than if you were at UCL.
(edited 9 years ago)
view of going to Herts for EEE?
Original post by Erulia
view of going to Herts for EEE?

Although I haven't been my cousin did his degree there and said the uni was good for engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 131
The time has come for me to choose which course I want to continue on (in Loughborough University). I am currently on the "Electronics and Computer Systems Engineering". I have an interest in computers and somewhat enjoy programming. The problem is that this course has a lot more compulsory modules than the simple "Electronics and Electrical Engineering " course. This means I will have much less choice in optional modules which I want to specialize in.
But then again if I take EEE, I am missing out on some computer related modules which I would like to do.
Also at the end of both courses what jobs am I most likely looking at doing? Will
employers prefer a student from any of these two courses specifically? What should I ideally base my decision on?

Here are the links to the two courses modules:

ECS: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/eese/electronic-computer-systems/

EEE: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/eese/electronic-electrical/
Reply 132
Original post by Yume
The time has come for me to choose which course I want to continue on (in Loughborough University). I am currently on the "Electronics and Computer Systems Engineering". I have an interest in computers and somewhat enjoy programming. The problem is that this course has a lot more compulsory modules than the simple "Electronics and Electrical Engineering " course. This means I will have much less choice in optional modules which I want to specialize in.
But then again if I take EEE, I am missing out on some computer related modules which I would like to do.
Also at the end of both courses what jobs am I most likely looking at doing? Will
employers prefer a student from any of these two courses specifically? What should I ideally base my decision on?

ECS: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/eese/electronic-computer-systems/

EEE: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/eese/electronic-electrical/

Don't you have an academic tutor, you should be asking them this as they are more likely to give you better advice with regards to the modules and choice. In the end it will just come down to which YOU prefer as a course both degrees will put you in a good position for jobs.
Original post by Yume

Hi Yume

a10 has it spot on - speak to your personal tutor and it may also be worth a trip to the careers and employability centre (based in the new Bridgeman Building).

They will have the best ideas and the best advice. Then you can make a fully informed decision about which is the right route for you.

Vicky
I think i would consider reading some of the "hobbyist" books that show projects. Nuts and Volts is one. I'm sure in the Uk there are others. Probably have some in Oz too. Read the articles to get an idea of what they publish, and where the interests of the readers are. Consider building a project that "keys into" the areas of interest of the magazine. It doesn't have to be anti-gravity, many of the readers aren't very sophisticated. Reading some application notes for newer semiconductors could help. I wouldn't expect to sell the first few articles, but take the criticism to heart - because the publishers want you to succeed too - because you will help them sell magazines and make money. There are many small projects that are helpful and beginners would like to be able to build. Hopefully, you can come up with a few. Published articles will look good on your CV also. Cheers.
Reply 135
I got two offers for EE that I was interested in, Beng in EEE from University of Sheffield, or Meng (Integrated Masters) from Hallam. I ended up going with Hallam because that way I can get finance for the whole thing, do you think I made the right choice? I know Uni Of is considered a more 'prestigious' university, but i'm not sure what that translates to in real world terms.
Original post by SRod
I got two offers for EE that I was interested in, Beng in EEE from University of Sheffield, or Meng (Integrated Masters) from Hallam. I ended up going with Hallam because that way I can get finance for the whole thing, do you think I made the right choice? I know Uni Of is considered a more 'prestigious' university, but i'm not sure what that translates to in real world terms.

You can move up from BEng to MEng at "Uni of" if your marks are good enough.

https://www.shef.ac.uk/mecheng/prospectiveug/courses/beng
"Depending on your performance you may be able to switch to the MEng degree at the end of your second year."
Reply 137
Original post by jneill
You can move up from BEng to MEng at "Uni of" if your marks are good enough.
https://www.shef.ac.uk/mecheng/prospectiveug/courses/beng
"Depending on your performance you may be able to switch to the MEng degree at the end of your second year."

Ah I didn't know that. I've already firmed Hallam now, so here's hoping that I've made the right choice.
Original post by SRod
Ah I didn't know that. I've already firmed Hallam now, so here's hoping that I've made the right choice.

Maybe you can switch up to "Uni of" in Adjustment...

Good luck anyway :smile:
just finished my first year of uni. there was a talk at the beginning of the year about joining the IET. Wanted to but never got round to it.
do you think it would be a good idea of joining the IET and/or IEEE?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending