The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Hi all,

Welcome to the Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) thread! :biggrin:

Everyone is welcome to post/chat here - whether you wish to study EEE in the future, you are a sparkie, enthusiast, hobbyist or whatever!

Those wishing to study are welcome to post here for anything, including advice for personal statements!

And for those already at uni, I'll begin by creating a list. Post where you are studying at, what year you're in, etc...

Homework/assignment help is also welcome. :pierre:

Join the group: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=2313

List: (To be updated continuously)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

We should do this for 2014 entry... :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Hi all,

Welcome to the Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) thread! :biggrin:

Everyone is welcome to post/chat here - whether you wish to study EEE in the future, you are a sparkie, enthusiast, hobbyist or whatever!

Those wishing to study are welcome to post here for anything, including advice for personal statements!

And for those already at uni, I'll begin by creating a list. Post where you are studying at, what year you're in, etc...

Homework/assignment help is also welcome. :pierre:

Join the group: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=2313

List: (To be updated continuously)

^ (just quoting to let you know ur thread is active)
Reply 3
Original post by a10
^ (just quoting to let you know ur thread is active)

Wow, blast from the past.

But how could you call a thread active with only one new reply within almost 5 months? :holmes:
Reply 4
Wow, blast from the past.

But how could you call a thread active with only one new reply within almost 5 months? :holmes:

well I meant to say a little active for now :lol:
Reply 5
helloo, I'm interested in electronics and computing, how good at maths do i have to be? :P
Reply 6
Original post by Nat_LPS
helloo, I'm interested in electronics and computing, how good at maths do i have to be? :P

Wow, I didn't notice your post, sorry. :smile:

You'd have to be quite good - most universities are looking at a B grade as a minimum for Maths A-Level... Even if you managed to scrape into University with the bare minimum, the acquired knowledge is extremely useful once you start your degree...

Though are you doing GSCE's or A-Levels?

I hope this post is still relevant, haha.
Reply 7
Wow, I didn't notice your post, sorry. :smile:

You'd have to be quite good - most universities are looking at a B grade as a minimum for Maths A-Level... Even if you managed to scrape into University with the bare minimum, the acquired knowledge is extremely useful once you start your degree...

Though are you doing GSCE's or A-Levels?

I hope this post is still relevant, haha.

Hi aha that's no probs, I was undecided on whether or not to take maths for AS level but ended up taking it fortunately, thanks :tongue: Not sure how to get much work experience yet but hopefully looking forward to the chance to go into electronics or shomething similar :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Nat_LPS
Hi aha that's no probs, I was undecided on whether or not to take maths for AS level but ended up taking it fortunately, thanks :tongue: Not sure how to get much work experience yet but hopefully looking forward to the chance to go into electronics or shomething similar :smile:

Good to hear.

Maths is a huge must (basically if you don't do it - don't apply), and Further maths is also highly recommended. I also highly recommend doing work experience - it gives you something to put on your CV. I had the misfortune of NOT doing this whilst in 6th form, so it takes much longer to come up with a decent CV for me. :wink:
Original post by Nat_LPS

I would definitely recommend the Headstart EDT courses on offer to Year 12 students - I did one for electronics and it occupied a good third of my personal statement since it's so relevant and full of things related to a degree in electronic engineering :smile: So so so good.
Reply 10
Original post by OllieGCSEs
I would definitely recommend the Headstart EDT courses on offer to Year 12 students - I did one for electronics and it occupied a good third of my personal statement since it's so relevant and full of things related to a degree in electronic engineering :smile: So so so good.

Oo thank you I'll have a look, hopefully our college gets involved. Would something like the EESW project be useful to me or is that more general engineering?
Original post by Nat_LPS
Oo thank you I'll have a look, hopefully our college gets involved. Would something like the EESW project be useful to me or is that more general engineering?

I've never heard of it, but nothing anything engineering related will certainly boost your application! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Nat_LPS
x

Original post by OllieGCSEs
x

x

Attempting to revive this thread :rofl:
Original post by a10
Attempting to revive this thread :rofl:

haha i can't even remember what i posted.

somebody tell me about their undergrad electronics course?
Reply 14
Original post by Nat_LPS
haha i can't even remember what i posted.

somebody tell me about their undergrad electronics course?

What do you like about electronics?

It's a very broad field indeed from stuff like hybrid vehicle electronic control systems to sophisticated heart monitors to satellites lol
Reply 15
Applying this year through UCAS!
Original post by iRaii
Applying this year through UCAS!

Casually joining this boat.
Been to about 7 open days, but still no idea what to put down
I was reading some of the personal statements for electronic engeering posted here, and they seemed to have plenty of engineering related topics to talk about, involving several different schemes, work experiences, competitions, or big projects they had worked on. It just seemed very intimidating to see the amount of things they had to write about compared to what I may say.

The only things I've been really able to do are my own projects in programming and electronic ciruitry. My school offered the EES but it was over subscribed for which there were only four places available - and the school being very competitive meant I couldn't get a place. I've checked the EDT headstart courses and will apply for some soon. I may be in lower sixth, but want to prepare now so I have plenty to write on my personal statement when it comes to it.

So I was wondering if anybody could recommend anything engineering related (electronic or not) that I could try/take part in/read etc. (Or computer science)
Original post by James Hp
I was reading some of the personal statements for electronic engeering posted here, and they seemed to have plenty of engineering related topics to talk about, involving several different schemes, work experiences, competitions, or big projects they had worked on. It just seemed very intimidating to see the amount of things they had to write about compared to what I may say.

The only things I've been really able to do are my own projects in programming and electronic ciruitry. My school offered the EES but it was over subscribed for which there were only four places available - and the school being very competitive meant I couldn't get a place. I've checked the EDT headstart courses and will apply for some soon. I may be in lower sixth, but want to prepare now so I have plenty to write on my personal statement when it comes to it.

So I was wondering if anybody could recommend anything engineering related (electronic or not) that I could try/take part in/read etc. (Or computer science)

If you're already experimenting with programming and circuits, you're probably ahead of most applicants. The majority of my fellow first years are good at Maths and Physics but have never really encountered practical electronics.

It depends what sort of areas you're interested in but I'd recommend getting an Arduino or something similar. It's a very affordable way of getting into programming and circuit design.
Original post by James Hp

I went on a broad-based headstart course and it was very helpful, definitely apply for one of them. For things to do you could find some circuit projects to complete- either following instructions online or buying kits (I bought a couple two years ago at maplin, but there's some online to buy too).

Books wise you could try 'The Art Of Electronics by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill' and 'Electronics: A Systems Approach by Neil Storey' for electronics. You also might want to look into some engineering maths books.

Other stuff you could do is watch some lectures (if you can find any related to the course) at any universities, watch documentaries on tv or read science magazines. For computer science specifically you'll be wanting to do some programming, assuming you haven't already.

I wouldn't worry too much though, you have another year before you have to write it and a lot of the personal statements on here seem to be either really poor or outstanding. Plus, grades are the most important thing.
:cool:

Quick Reply

Latest