The Student Room Group

Overbite Jaw Surgery ... and starting Adult Nursing in September D:

Hey guys,

I've needed a brace all my life but I've only really started considering it as for my graduation [from nursing] I would like to be able to smile and feel confident with my smile. The orthodontist said I should consider a jaw surgery because my overbite is really noticeable and it would help me teeth look more normal when the brace straightens them out.

I'm concerned because I've done a lot of research and people say they need 4-6 weeks out of colleges. I'm starting adult nursing in September and I can't afford to miss 4-6 weeks of classes. It's the maths and science part of the course which I NEED and if I don't pass, I won't be allowed [most likely] to do the placements. I can't go to classes if the pain is as bad as people say, and the bruising is like it is. Also with lack of ability to speak clearly, I can't really try to focus on classes if the pain is too much.

Has anybody had this surgery with a surgery with something like that? I need to talk to my uni of choice about it and I do not want to defer a year because my life will be on hold for another year and I need to get myself heading towards my dream career of being a nurse. Is there an easy way to balance recovering with the studying? I'm really worried and concerned about this. :confused:

[Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread at first D: ]

Ceci
Reply 1
Would you be able to do it over summer next year?
Reply 2
Original post by Ice_Queen
Would you be able to do it over summer next year?

I'm not sure, have to see when the hospital can do the surgery. I talk to them in a few months when they receive and process the referral. It's really worrying because I can't put off my degree and can't take 4-6 weeks off of university and pass. Would leaving it a year have any difference to the braces straightening my teeth at all? Or just leave a very uncomfortable Summer vacation? :C
Reply 3
Original post by cecixpanda
I'm not sure, have to see when the hospital can do the surgery. I talk to them in a few months when they receive and process the referral. It's really worrying because I can't put off my degree and can't take 4-6 weeks off of university and pass. Would leaving it a year have any difference to the braces straightening my teeth at all? Or just leave a very uncomfortable Summer vacation? :C

You would have to talk to your orthodontist about all that. I would say the uncomfortable Summer would be worth it though :smile:
Reply 4
Phone the Uni and ask if you can defer for 6 months, often they have two different intakes so if you don't start in the september you could start in January. It's a normal intake, you won't be disadvantaged or anything.
I had jaw surgery this summer and would not have said that studying or being at college at the same time would have been possible. Do you know whether you'd need single or double jaw surgery as recovery has very different rates!! I had double jaw surgery and was pretty much bed bound for the first week due to lack of energy from not being able to eat. Due to the swelling and dribbling, I didn't really leave the house in the first 3 weeks. Every individual is different but I'd say you can't expect to continue your life normally for at least two weeks. Hope this helps, message me if you need more information or advice!!
Original post by cecixpanda
Hey guys,

I've needed a brace all my life but I've only really started considering it as for my graduation [from nursing] I would like to be able to smile and feel confident with my smile. The orthodontist said I should consider a jaw surgery because my overbite is really noticeable and it would help me teeth look more normal when the brace straightens them out.

I'm concerned because I've done a lot of research and people say they need 4-6 weeks out of colleges. I'm starting adult nursing in September and I can't afford to miss 4-6 weeks of classes. It's the maths and science part of the course which I NEED and if I don't pass, I won't be allowed [most likely] to do the placements. I can't go to classes if the pain is as bad as people say, and the bruising is like it is. Also with lack of ability to speak clearly, I can't really try to focus on classes if the pain is too much.

Has anybody had this surgery with a surgery with something like that? I need to talk to my uni of choice about it and I do not want to defer a year because my life will be on hold for another year and I need to get myself heading towards my dream career of being a nurse. Is there an easy way to balance recovering with the studying? I'm really worried and concerned about this. :confused:

[Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread at first D: ]

Ceci

Hey, I am in the same position as you were in 2013 now. Its obviously been a long time since this thread was started but I am also about to study Adult Nursing from September and have a double Jaw surgery which is after the uni has started. I don't have the dates yet or anything for the surgery and I don't want to wait another year to do the course I really want to. I am from scotland btw and I'm quite curious to know, if you dont mind, did you have to hold off your uni for another year or were you able to go on with the surgery over the 3-4 week of the summer break you get for nursing course? Im really scared and worried about it. I still need to talk to my orthodontist about this and they are quite flexible with the surgery here from what I know but it doesn't stop me from worrying though. I hope you don't mind me asking this.
Original post by Anonymous_28
Hey, I am in the same position as you were in 2013 now. Its obviously been a long time since this thread was started but I am also about to study Adult Nursing from September and have a double Jaw surgery which is after the uni has started. I don't have the dates yet or anything for the surgery and I don't want to wait another year to do the course I really want to. I am from scotland btw and I'm quite curious to know, if you dont mind, did you have to hold off your uni for another year or were you able to go on with the surgery over the 3-4 week of the summer break you get for nursing course? Im really scared and worried about it. I still need to talk to my orthodontist about this and they are quite flexible with the surgery here from what I know but it doesn't stop me from worrying though. I hope you don't mind me asking this.

OP hasn't been on the site with their account since spring 2014, so you may be waiting a while for an answer from them.

I would continue with your application and see how you get on. If you get offered a place and have a surgery date there should be a way to work round it. If your orthodontist is flexible then I'd make the most of it with them, as nursing courses can sometimes be quite rigid.

Quick Reply

Latest