The Student Room Group

The seven social classes of the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Martyn*
Sometimes when you are earning lots of money, or even only a modicum of money, you have little or no time to appreciate culture or develop individuality. We are creating wealth but that is all we are doing. We call this culture, capitalism, industry, work, conformity. Is it really? When we are not doing these things we squander time, and a lot of work anyway is squandered time. What do the middle classes do? Go on holiday and read newspapers. This is culture to them!

Nicely put. The middle class seems like the bore class. You would expect with their wealth they would be more cultured, broader minded and interact with a diverse group of people yet ironically many do not reflect this at all. Wealth clearly does not derive respect for other cultures or social groups. I'm just proud that I don't feel the need to use my social class as a tool to demonstrate my intellect, and clearly the same can be said for you! If I could I would thumb this up :smile:
Original post by Architecture-er
Elite, because my parents paid off the mortgage extremely quickly, with none of the holidays most people would enjoy (ie we went camping every summer for my childhood, instead of tanning in various countries).

I think it's pretty accurate though, although the 'cultural' portion seemed a bit arbitrary, as it assumes that things like ballet and opera is something culturally enlightened people would do, when some may just see it as a load of rubbish

It does say at the end that cultural things aren't given intrinsic value, it just works like the more stuff you do, the higher your cultural capital is (which is even more stupid imo)

Same on the mortgage/holidays!
Reply 62
Original post by tjf8
What is culture to you?

Culture is passion, joie de vivre, diversity, strength. Foucault's ideas about culture are more to my liking as well.
Reply 63
Original post by RikersIsland
Nicely put. The middle class seems like the bore class. You would expect with their wealth they would be more cultured, broader minded and interact with a diverse group of people yet ironically many do not reflect this at all. Wealth clearly does not derive respect for other cultures or social groups. I'm just proud that I don't feel the need to use my social class as a tool to demonstrate my intellect, and clearly the same can be said for you! If I could I would thumb this up :smile:

I completely agree with you.
Reply 64
For me, this class system is false.

There are those who are in the boat, safe from the water.

Then there are the rest of us, treading water our whole lives.

Some are lucky enough to climb up and stay on.

The unlucky drown in debt and desperation.
Reply 65
Eh, rubbish. I wouldn't know where to put myself. My families income is high, but we don't have many opportunities to enjoy cultural events, despite wanting to. What qualifies as culture is entirely subjective anyway. Is it, as people previously mentioned, sitting at home and reading the Guardian? Is it going to the opera every fortnight? Is it how often you go on holidays, and how much you spend while there? What sort of music you listen to? Why on earth would that even matter?

Going by the ridiculous criteria I would, probably, be in Technical middle class. However, I would never put myself there as I don't believe in labelling people in such a disgusting manner. Why are certain British citizens so obsessed with class, so much so that they have to come up with not 3, but 7 social classes? This puzzles me greatly, mainly because we do not have a social class system in my country of origin.
(edited 11 years ago)
According to the calculator, elite!
If I put the details of my family, it comes up as elite. Though I think that's a bit of an overstatement. My family are more like highly skilled professionals - we're not exactly members of the titled nobility. If I put my own details, I get technical middle class (graduated last year). I still don't really even know what that is.

It is a bit simplistic though. I mean sure, I like to watch sport. But surely a person who watches polo and croquet are unlikely to be in the same class as someone who watches cock-fighting and bar brawling. And I don't know anyone who has a job on that list. That doesn't make me an unsociable hermit, it just means the people I know have other jobs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by ConsciousWorker
proletariat.jpg
The real wealth creator class, with a very high social and cultural capital, most certainly the highest in the concept of morality.

That class caused the recession. Taking out loans that they couldn't afford to buy fags, booze and package holidays to Tenerife.
Original post by tazarooni89
If I put the details of my family, it comes up as elite. Though I think that's a bit of an overstatement. My family are more like highly skilled professionals - we're not exactly members of the titled nobility. If I put my own details, I get technical middle class (graduated last year). I still don't really even know what that is.

It is a bit simplistic though. I mean sure, I like to watch sport. But surely a person who watches polo and croquet are unlikely to be in the same class as someone who watches cock-fighting and bar brawling. And I don't know anyone who has a job on that list. That doesn't make me an unsociable hermit, it just means the people I know have other jobs.

It seems to grade "elite" anyone who earns more than £100K and/or lives in a big house and knows someone who is educated. These seem rather thin grounds, to say the least. I'd like to see their methodology, I don't really believe the Elite of society are such a wide group.
Reply 70
This is a load of crap, it does not take into account education. I got the lowest one, excuse me I am a studying a degree
Reply 71
I think this is a lot easier to remember:

[video="youtube;mURhNIjc-Kw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mURhNIjc-Kw[/video]
It put me as established middle class...
It says the 2nd most richest class???

Makes no sense I would of said higher lower class. So anyone who scores highly on cultural and social and earn over 25k is established middle-class, even without savings and a house waaaay under 125k?

I really don't like these class things - the descriptions I did not like too... hum.
Original post by Chadya
That class caused the recession. Taking out loans that they couldn't afford to buy fags, booze and package holidays to Tenerife.

:ahee: as a result of such threads and posts corresponding with an IQ of a dog, mine has already dropped below natsci offer so before I quit I strongly recommend you to read Adam Smith: Wealth of Nations (especially Of Wages of Labour) and maybe you'll get to understand the capital circulation in a commodity producing society. Recession simply cannot be caused by those who do not own the means of production and can only sell their labour power, maybe your next statement will point to the workers as advocates of the I, II and III industrial revolution, globalisation, trade agreements, free market or the surplus distribution?

Go work as a wage slave for your masters and stop bullying those who are smaller than you, only because you do not have enough capacity and courage to challenge your real master
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
Only the English worry about all this classism crap. They did away with all that in most of continental Europe.

The French are probably even more class obsessed.
Original post by River85
The French are probably even more class obsessed.

Someone should do a history of the myth that only the British have social class. Class exists everywhere and in all countries - it looks different in some places, but it is also remarkable how similar it is abroad. It is also remarkable how many of those societies deny that it exists and either blame it on us or accuse us of being the class-ridden society. Many upper and middle class people around the world ape what they consider to be British class manners. Social class awareness is one of our proudest exports!
I'm sure many people here will fall into the prokaryote category. Looool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ConsciousWorker
:ahee: as a result of such threads and posts corresponding with an IQ of a dog, mine has already dropped below natsci offer so before I quit I strongly recommend you to read Adam Smith: Wealth of Nations (especially Of Wages of Labour) and maybe you'll get to understand the capital circulation in a commodity producing society. Recession simply cannot be caused by those who do not own the means of production and can only sell their labour power, maybe your next statement will point to the workers as advocates of the I, II and III industrial revolution, globalisation, trade agreements, free market or the surplus distribution?

Go work as a wage slave for your masters and stop bullying those who are smaller than you, only because you do not have enough capacity and courage to challenge your real master

Blaming the poor for the crisis is the new normal; it's the game being played by the Coalition every day. So it isn't really surprising that many people are falling for it.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Blaming the poor for the crisis is the new normal; it's the game being played by the Coalition every day. So it isn't really surprising that many people are falling for it.

Sadly, it isn't new. It's very 19th Century.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Sadly, it isn't new. It's very 19th Century.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed. The Deserving and Undeserving poor. Cameron and Osborne must be lost in admiration for Victorian thinking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending