The Student Room Group

Mass of Jupiter

Hi! I'm trying to use Newton's Law of Gravitation to find out the mass of Jupiter.

g=GMm/r²

The only information I have been given is:

G = 6.67 * 10^-11
g = 27 Nkg^-1
Radius of Jupiter = 704 * 10^6

Do I use the Sun to try and work this out? :confused:

Thank you! :tongue:
Reply 1
Original post by Abblecrumble
Hi! I'm trying to use Newton's Law of Gravitation to find out the mass of Jupiter.

g=GMm/r²

G = 6.67 * 10^-11
g = 27 Nkg^-1

F=GMm/r2 the unit for F is Newtons.
The radius of Jupiter you've been given is incorrect (assuming that's metres) https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=radius+of+jupiter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&client=firefox-a
You could use any object you like to work this out, but I'm not sure that the question being posed is correct...
Reply 2
Original post by Abblecrumble

g=GMm/r²

G = 6.67 * 10^-11
g = 27 Nkg^-1

Careful there, F=GMmr2F = \frac{GMm}{r^2} and g=Fm=GMr2g = \frac{F}{m} = \frac{GM}{r^2}.

You do not need another object to work out the mass of Jupiter from the information given because the gravitational field strength gg only depends on the mass of Jupiter and the distance from its centre of gravity.

And yeah, that radius is a bit big. It should be more like 7×1077 \times 10^7 metres.
Reply 3
Yes, there was a mistake with the radius! I've solved it now. Thanks for your help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest