The Student Room Group

Best University for Business Degree?

Hey all !! xxxx

i was just wondering what the better universities for business degrees are and some of the entry requirements thank you all!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lancaster only needs ABB (i say only, lol) and is rated 6* apparently. Which means it's rather good.
U think Lancaster has the best business school????!!! Some people on this forum are just so naive!!! The 6* refers to research and so how effects undergrads?
Oxford is the best (AAA), followed by LSE (AAA/AAB) followed by Warwick (AAB) then Bath (AAA/AAB) then Nottingham (ABB). Those are the best of the best, no more, no less
Reply 3
cheerz ashley :biggrin: what a levels do you think are best suitable for courses at these universities xx
c.h.r.i.s.s.y
cheerz ashley :biggrin: what a levels do you think are best suitable for courses at these universities xx

I'd stick with what Ashley said.

A-Levels doesn't really matter that much unless you're applying to the very top Uni's. In that case you would need a majority of traditional subjects e.g. Maths, Economics, English Lit etc. It all depends though. It's not cast in stone and some uni's are flexible and some aren't.
yea mutliplexed is about right. I would stay clear of 'doss' subjects such as business studies, media etc (all those subs on the LSE blacklist) as they dont help your application. If you want to go to a top uni i.e ox or lse you should do quantitative subjects such as Maths Physics and if you can manage you should consider further maths. Warwick say they want a broad range of subjects - i would say ideal would be Maths, Physics, History and then a 4th of your choice, maybe economics
Reply 6
lol!! o deary me...i have double business and philosophy and ethics and geography...will be dropping geography next year..im predicted As in all of them...i guess i wont be a suitable candidate for a business degree at a university or for any degree? is this true ?
c.h.r.i.s.s.y
lol!! o deary me...i have double business and philosophy and ethics and geography...will be dropping geography next year..im predicted As in all of them...i guess i wont be a suitable candidate for a business degree at a university or for any degree? is this true ?

I wouldnt say not suitable for any degree, but your choice of subjects is a bit stupid tbh. IMO the only top uni for business you might have a shot at is Nottingham, I dont think the rest will give you the time of day, no off
Reply 8
awwwwww cheerz xxx well i mean i was obviously naive to think that a business degree would find a levels of business suitable! soo is my future just totally over...what is your advice?:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
c.h.r.i.s.s.y
awwwwww cheerz xxx well i mean i was obviously naive to think that a business degree would find a levels of business suitable! soo is my future just totally over...what is your advice?:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

LoL... Not at all. I did the same thing. I was going to either do Law or Business at Uni but i always believed that the Uni's would like those at A-Level so i took them at A-Level. Found out this year that they are on LSE's Blacklist. Oh well...

If i was you i'd apply to one really top uni e.g. Bath/Warwick, two-three slightly below e.g. Nottingham/Manchester, and then followed by wherever you will feel comfortable. I think the times league table gives a pretty accurate guide for Business/Management Uni's.
Reply 10
Multiplexed
LoL... Not at all. I did the same thing. I was going to either do Law or Business at Uni but i always believed that the Uni's would like those at A-Level so i took them at A-Level. Found out this year that they are on LSE's Blacklist. Oh well...

If i was you i'd apply to one really top uni e.g. Bath/Warwick, two-three slightly below e.g. Nottingham/Manchester, and then followed by wherever you will feel comfortable. I think the times league table gives a pretty accurate guide for Business/Management Uni's.

Do you think any of these universities will be able to help me and accept me...i mean i am very passionate about business and hence i did these a levels..can you give me some advice who i can speak to get more information on this?:frown:
c.h.r.i.s.s.y
Do you think any of these universities will be able to help me and accept me...i mean i am very passionate about business and hence i did these a levels..can you give me some advice who i can speak to get more information on this?:frown:

You never know. I think you might have a chance with Nottingham or Manchester. I'd personally recommend applying to other good business schools e.g. Loughborough & Lancaster aswell.

Try to gain work experience this summer to make up for the A-levels and make sure your personal statement is excellent and i think you would have a very good chance to get offers from places like Manchester & Nottingham.

You might want to talk to your personal tutor or your subject teachers. They might know. Otherwise, you could e-mail the Universities and ask them about your chances.
Reply 12
my life is over!!! thats all i want to do ... and ive basically failed it :frown: do you recommend i throw this year away and start again or jus give up and get a job??

thank you by the way you have been very helpful xx
c.h.r.i.s.s.y
my life is over!!! thats all i want to do ... and ive basically failed it :frown: do you recommend i throw this year away and start again or jus give up and get a job??

LoL... Seriously, it's nothing to be disappointed about.

What uni's did you have in mind?

Take Ashley's list:

Oxford is the best (AAA) - pretty much rule this out
LSE (AAA/AAB) - same with this.
Warwick (AAB) - same
Bath (AAA/AAB) - same
Nottingham (ABB) - chance as with everyone else.
Aston (AAB?) - same as notts
Manchester - good chance.

Nottingham, Aston & Manchester all have excellent business schools so theres no reason to be upset.

By the way, why are you dropping Geography? I would think Geography was a more traditional subject than Philosophy (i think?).

And if you get a good degree from one of the above then you have a chance to get a Masters from say Warwick/Bath in Business.
Ashley and Multiplexed provide the brilliant advice once again. I'd say you have a good chance at Leeds as well which is also a very good business school.
c.h.r.i.s.s.y

Don't listen to these people. Your life is not over at all. Get As in all your subjects, you'll be fine. Only a tiny proportion of the 400,000 applicants who go through UCAS each year go to universities like Oxbridge and LSE. You're life if not over if you're not going to be one of them.

There are hundreds of universities who do Business or related degrees. If you get AAA, you'll be looking at top universities no matter what your subjects are.

Look at Durham for instance, a top university. The soon-to-be well regarded Business courses at Stockton only ask for BBB I think.

Business studies is not one of the most competitive courses at university. Knock up a good personal statement and you will be fine.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

btw You all say Oxford is AAA? Do they even do business?
charlie_w
Don't listen to these people. Your life is not over at all. Get As in all your subjects, you'll be fine. Only a tiny proportion of the 400,000 applicants who go through UCAS each year go to universities like Oxbridge and LSE. You're life if not over if you're not going to be one of them.

That's what i said, wise guy. Read my posts first.

There are hundreds of universities who do Business or related degrees. If you get AAA, you'll be looking at top universities no matter what your subjects are.

Same as above.

Look at Durham for instance, a top university. The soon-to-be well regarded Business courses at Stockton only ask for BBB I think.

:rolleyes:. She shouldn't even be looking at Durham, she can apply to way better Unis.

Business studies is not one of the most competitive courses at university. Knock up a good personal statement and you will be fine.

What i said + Work Experience.

btw You all say Oxford is AAA? Do they even do business?

Management & Economics. Close enough.
ashley710
I dont think the rest will give you the time of day, no off

I was referring more to posts like that, not to you personally. I never said I was a wise guy but I think some of the people on this forum need to be a little more positive.

I wasn't saying she should go for Durham. I was merely giving an example of a top uni which she could easily get an offer from.

Economics and Business degrees are very different. There are a variety of different threads on comparisons between the two.

I'm sorry if you were offended but sweeping generalisations like the one at the top of this post are what I was criticising.

Charlie
Reply 18
thank you very much guys...how decent people you are !! i seriously was like having a break down ive like gone through this whole year to be knocked down by a majority of people telling me i cant do what i really want to do! i could keep geography i just think i will suceed more at philosophy as i enjoy it more! i try hard and am willing to go to the lengths to fufil ambitions i took business because thats all i have ever wanted to do!

i hope what you say is true and that i will be accepted ill probably end up doing something stupid if im not...i jus panic soo much..thank you again ...for being truthful and kind xxxxx:suith:
Reply 19
She shouldn't even be looking at Durham, she can apply to way better Unis.

Frankly, I'd use Stockton as a backup seeing as the business school is actually in Durham city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending