The Student Room Group

Microgynon 30 side effects

Hi, I started taking Microgynon 30 4 days ago and have been feeling terrible in the mornings. I take my pill at 11pm just before I get ready for bed as this is the most easiest for me to remember. For the past few days I have woke up feeling sick. Yesterday I felt so bad I nearly didn't go into work. I wished I hadn't seeing as I ended up bursting into tears in front of my boss. I'm guessing the pill is probably giving me mood swings too? Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has had the same side effects and if there is anyway of stopping them? Maybe taking the pill in the morning will help? Thanks

(edited 11 years ago)
When I took it I gained a bit of weight but nothing else really.

My packet says that if you get mood swings you should go see your doctor, so that's what I'd advise. It might just be a short term thing - lots of medications give you side effects for the first fortnight or so and then as your body gets used to it the side effects go away - but if it persists you might want to change meds.
I'd take it at night and then a few hours later I'd wake up and be sick. It didn't stop so I changed to Yasmin (I'm not sure if they prescribe it anymore) and felt much better.
I didn't have any symptoms but if you do you should go back to your GP and get a different type of contraception.
Original post by therisenmitten
I'd take it at night and then a few hours later I'd wake up and be sick. It didn't stop so I changed to Yasmin (I'm not sure if they prescribe it anymore) and felt much better.

They do prescribe Yasmin, I take it.
Reply 5
The side effects can be short lived as your body gets used to them.

The hormone changes caused by taking the pill can cause symptoms like morning sickness so what you describe isn't unusal. Go back to your doctor and discuss alternatives if the side effects are severe for you.
Reply 6
Thanks :smile: well I still feel a bit sick but not so much in the mornings so that has helped with work. I haven't cried in front of my boss again so maybe my body is adjusting! I think I'll give it a few more weeks and If I still don't feel normal I'll make an appointment to see the nurse again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It made me sick too and constantly feel like I had PMS symptoms... It might take a few months for your body to adjust to the hormones or maybe it's just too high a dosage for you. I was on microgynon and then switched to loestrin, which doesn't affect me too badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I used to take this pill and I used to get terrible nausea lethargy and dizziness Ask your GP to change you to a pill that has a lower dose. I'm on Sunya now and although the protection is lower (if you miss two pills with Microgynon you're ok, but with Sunya you can only miss one). I have had no side effects since, though. I thoroughly recommend going onto a lower dose.

Quick Reply

Latest