The Student Room Group

Self taught geography a-level?

I was wondering if it's possible to self teach yourself geography a-level, because my head of sixth form said demand for geography has been very low and might not be put on. I'm guessing there is fieldwork that has to be done so would this be possible?

I'm currently on track to get an A* in GCSE geog and hope to have a career in geography in the future :smile:

Edit: Unfortunately another sixth form/college isn't an option as they are terrible in my area and majority only offer BTECS
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
That is harsh, especially if you want to do it as a career. Have you considered looking at different sixth forms/colleges?

In my opinion it is teachable. There is a fieldwork section at the beginning of your AS exam but i know plenty of Geographers who didn't even go. So by looking at the course specification and exam papers you can do it without the fieldwork. I would recommend speaking to your head though.
Reply 2
Original post by Hunter_scfc
That is harsh, especially if you want to do it as a career. Have you considered looking at different sixth forms/colleges?

In my opinion it is teachable. There is a fieldwork section at the beginning of your AS exam but i know plenty of Geographers who didn't even go. So by looking at the course specification and exam papers you can do it without the fieldwork. I would recommend speaking to your head though.

Thanks for your advice,

I spoke to him briefly before half term and he said if I get the right resources and get an A* in the gcse then I can do it.

Also my area is quite 'rough' and my sixth form is the only good sixth form/college to study unless I wanted to do a list of btecs lol

My geography teacher, who would teach a-level if it is to be put on, has offered to give me help during free periods and stuff to guide me, but I know a lot of the work will need to be done in my spare time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gomg
I was wondering if it's possible to self teach yourself geography a-level, because my head of sixth form said demand for geography has been very low and might not be put on. I'm guessing there is fieldwork that has to be done so would this be possible?

I'm currently on track to get an A* in GCSE geog and hope to have a career in geography in the future :smile:

A-level is A LOT different to GCSE than I can guarantee, I don't do it but my friend does and the context is huge! I'd suggest if your school doesnt offer a level geography look in a different school/college
Reply 4
Original post by SharminaSyeda
I'd suggest if your school doesnt offer a level geography look in a different school/college

The colleges and other sixth forms in my area have a pretty bad reputation and are quite low in league tables so my sixth form would be the best option - even if it means self-teaching myself geography.
Reply 5
Original post by gomg
Thanks for your advice,

I spoke to him briefly before half term and he said if I get the right resources and get an A* in the gcse then I can do it.

Also my area is quite 'rough' and my sixth form is the only good sixth form/college to study unless I wanted to do a list of btecs lol

My geography teacher, who would teach a-level if it is to be put on, has offered to give me help during free periods and stuff to guide me, but I know a lot of the work will need to be done in my spare time.

Well from what you have said i do think you could do it. You seem to have the motivation and would stick with it. There is a lot of context but if you can get the right text books you could easily teach it yourself. I got an A* at A Level and most the information was from the text book or my own work.

If your teacher would give you some direction, in frees, and you get the correct resources there is no reason why you couldn't get a good grade. As long as the motivation is there.
Reply 6
Original post by Hunter_scfc
Well from what you have said i do think you could do it. You seem to have the motivation and would stick with it. There is a lot of context but if you can get the right text books you could easily teach it yourself. I got an A* at A Level and most the information was from the text book or my own work.

If your teacher would give you some direction, in frees, and you get the correct resources there is no reason why you couldn't get a good grade. As long as the motivation is there.

Thank you soooo much for your help :smile:
Original post by SharminaSyeda
A-level is A LOT different to GCSE than I can guarantee, I don't do it but my friend does and the context is huge! I'd suggest if your school doesnt offer a level geography look in a different school/college

you're going on what your friend says and don't you mean content? your argument is very weak as you don't actually know what it's like.

GCSE and A Level aren't different at all, I've taught both, yes there may be more content, but that's the same for all subjects.

To the OP if there is staff there, which by sounds of it there will be use them, as they may still run it unofficially during lunches or whatever, have seen that done.

It is very possible to self teach it, but it will take a lot of work, the fieldwork side can be difficult, but as you've already got staff there who have taught it, shouldn't be a problem. Go for it.
Reply 8
It's a shame to hear your school may not be offering the A-level. In my opinion (having done geography A level and having self-taught another A-level), it is definitely self-teachable, although if you could ask for extra support from a teacher in school or a private tutor, that wouldn't go amiss. Some of my teachers were so naff that I virtually taught myself their subject from textbooks + the internet anyway! Agree with Hunter above: if you've got the drive, it can be done :smile:
Reply 9
I did A-Level Geography on my own because my school did the same. They said the demand was little and I was forced to pick up the subject on my own knowing I wanted to pursue a career in it. I collected my results yesterday and I came out with a B smashing both my exams!! It's possible. It's very very very challenging but it is possible, as if anything.
I'd say geography is pretty easy to self teach, i taught myself most of it the night before the exams ayy lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending