The Student Room Group

**The "North Korea Watch 2013" Update Thread**

Scroll to see replies

The great leader will conquer not only America but the entire world.

After he gets back from getting 1000 holes in one on a 10 round golf course.

Such a talented man.
Original post by Drewski
Awful.

But at the same time brilliant. Kudos.

The difference is in taking a voyeuristic pleasure in it.

Great men in history have found a pleasure in war...an animalistic drive that connects with our most basic need for survival. United in fear, we learn the best and worst of ourselves in war...War is human nature; War is glorious. War cuts away at the dead flesh of society...
Seems like the chinese are none to happy with "Fatty Kim"/"fatty the third".

http://news.yahoo.com/chinas-anger-north-korea-overcomes-worry-over-u-210234713.html
Although they seem to be madly gnashing their teeth at a superior enemy, they must have realised their provocations aren't getting them any more concessions now. I wonder if they can get one of their miniaturised nuclear warheads into one of the invasion tunnels under Soeul . . .
Reply 84
Original post by Narutopolaris
Great men in history have found a pleasure in war...an animalistic drive that connects with our most basic need for survival. United in fear, we learn the best and worst of ourselves in war...War is human nature; War is glorious. War cuts away at the dead flesh of society...

Some men have. Very few 'great' men have.

And those that do; lose.

War does many a thing for a country and a people. But never let it be said it is a good thing without acknowledging the terrible pain and suffering it brings.

This said by a former member of the Armed Forces.

What absolute *******s. You're spouting conservative doctrine. I love people and believe we can co-exist for the good of nature. Your life, your choice.

If this is really what you think, then go and read a book on military history. Don't involve others in your war fetish.
Does anyone else feel a strange form of euphoria whilst this is all happening? I mean, imagine if War would break out! It would be in our lifetime, without the UK taking part; we could watch nations annihilate themselves for the first time in our history! :biggrin: Im so pumped up for war :biggrin:

oh yeah a nuclear war seems like great fun I can't wait for it all to kick off and millions of innocent people die:dance:

:confused:
Reply 88
NK have nothing to gain from antagonising the yanks. I can't see them using WMD, the repercussions are unthinkable. I just think Kim mk iii is flexing his totalitarian biceps for domestic PR.
Original post by Drewski
Some men have. Very few 'great' men have.

And those that do; lose.

War does many a thing for a country and a people. But never let it be said it is a good thing without acknowledging the terrible pain and suffering it brings.

This said by a former member of the Armed Forces.

Thats true and a fair point...but I think big wars tend to do more good in the long term than suffering in the short term
Original post by Unkempt_One
If this is really what you think, then go and read a book on military history. Don't involve others in your war fetish.

Hang on.... If liberal hippies can advocate "love", then I have a right to advocate the benefits of war; its not a fetish (as you say), its a theory made from reason and logic and history
Original post by tommyjazzhands
What absolute *******s. You're spouting conservative doctrine. I love people and believe we can co-exist for the good of nature. Your life, your choice.

The key word there is 'can'; but you see, just because we can doesnt mean we will. For example, I can, hypothetically, jump off a cliff- doesnt necessarily mean I will. Humanity can be peaceful, but history has shown that really, we cant- there have been only 99 years of "peace" compared to the 3000 or si years of humanity- War is humanity, humanity is war- you may claim to "love" people, but that type of attitude is foolish- it exposes your weakness-you do not love other people, you love their wealth, and the effect of that on our materialist, capitilist society (not a bad thing). Plus, whats wrong with conservative doctrines? Conservativism is simply retaining traditions of the past with a forward looking agenda; preventing radical change by accepting change- Conservatism is the way forward, Liberalism is antithesis
There will not be war. There may be a few isolated incidents between the Koreas as there were most recently in 2010. The US will not come to South Korea's aid unless a major city or one of its own bases is attacked, or a ballistic (or nuclear, though that will never happen) missile is fired.

Narutopolaris, traditional international war is an outdated mechanism for exerting power in a globalised world. Conflicts are now much more likely to be the result of non-state actors, civil wars, revolutions, guerrilla tactics, ethnic tensions, that sort of thing. The nation-state has been a complete irrelevancy since the end of WW2.

On a global scale, the US and other powerful countries exercise their hegemony by having bases in places like South Korea and imposing economic sanctions through supranational organisations like NATO or the UN.
Original post by tomclarky

Or perhaps you could replace Bin Laden with what's-his-face in this:

The key word there is 'can'; but you see, just because we can doesnt mean we will. For example, I can, hypothetically, jump off a cliff- doesnt necessarily mean I will. Humanity can be peaceful, but history has shown that really, we cant- there have been only 99 years of "peace" compared to the 3000 or si years of humanity- War is humanity, humanity is war- you may claim to "love" people, but that type of attitude is foolish- it exposes your weakness-you do not love other people, you love their wealth, and the effect of that on our materialist, capitilist society (not a bad thing). Plus, whats wrong with conservative doctrines? Conservativism is simply retaining traditions of the past with a forward looking agenda; preventing radical change by accepting change- Conservatism is the way forward, Liberalism is antithesis

Indeed the key word is 'can'. This debate gives rise to the whole dogmatic conservative idea that we have a pre-programmed human nature which is competitive, aggressive and greedy. It's great for the state-capitalist dictatorship war machine isn't it? It's simply not true. There are numerous examples of humans actually being the very opposite of this dogmatic suggestion- an altruistic, intelligent and benevolent being.

Conservatism- a forward looking agenda? Yeah right, rapacious bloated imbeciles spouting lies and creating a world of inequality and injustice while the lower classes are forced to live in squalor. You stay brainwashed, I'm going to say a big fat **** you to war, control and dogmatic philosophy with no basis in truth or fact designed only to subjugate the people.

Why won't Iain Dickhead Smith live on £51 a week? Because he has one rule for the 'privileged' and one rule for everyone else. Do you support the royal family too? Are they a 'forward thinking' concept?
Original post by Kousar
Why are they fighting anyway? Someone care to simplify it for me :colondollar:

I think it's kind of like how it was in WW1... i.e. no apparent reason... just an excuse to have millions of people killed.
Hang on.... If liberal hippies can advocate "love", then I have a right to advocate the benefits of war; its not a fetish (as you say), its a theory made from reason and logic and history

"its a theory made from reason and logic"
"its a theory made from reason and logic"
Does anyone else feel a strange form of euphoria whilst this is all happening?

reason and logic
So? People die everywhere and always have- what difference will it make if Psy's cousins get roasted?

reason and logic

reason and logic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy
I'm pretty sure their missiles can't reach america.
I can see a few bombs getting dropped on Seoul. I'm not sure if NK have the capability to hit Guam or the US Mainland, but I do believe they have the capability to hit Japan and South Korea, and possibly with nuclear weapons too :frown:
Reply 99
Its internal politics. The boy just came to power and the way he shows of his strength internally to his generals and more so to his public is through sabre rattling. This is done in order to strength his hold over the military and to reaffirm his place as head of state. War would result in destabilization of his reign but also his ideology which he wouldn't want.

I am saying this assuming he is not a completely indoctrinated machine bent on global spread of communism at all costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending