The Student Room Group

Car on finance/Which car?

So, I've been using my mums car since I passed my test over two years ago - a 52 plate Fiat Punto, 5 door. However, today we got a call from the garage stating that it was essentially a waste of money trying to fix it and it's getting to the point of being dangerous to drive.

I'm looking into getting a car on finance, as I don't have the money lying around to just buy a car outright, and this way I can get a newer model. I also need a car as I'm graduating in June and will be looking further afield for work, and I have a two year old and trying to get him from A to B on pulbic transport is a bloody nightmare!

I've been looking at the likes of the Skoda Fabia, Volkswagen Polo, Peugeot 207, Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Swift, Fiat 500 of Fiat Punto - essentially nothing too big, with 5 doors (makes it easier with the car seat).

Firstly, does anyone have any recommendations out of any of these cars? Good points, bad points.

Also, I've never had a car on finance and I don't think my parents have either. Does anyone have any advice about this? Is it worthwhile or would you rather just have bought a car outright?
Reply 1
Fiat 500s are tiny. I sat in one because I was looking for a car (which I don't have yet but.... :awesome:) and I couldn't even get my knees under the dashboard and I'm not even that tall. Probably not a good choice and they're only 3 door as well.
Original post by sabian92
Fiat 500s are tiny. I sat in one because I was looking for a car (which I don't have yet but.... :awesome:) and I couldn't even get my knees under the dashboard and I'm not even that tall. Probably not a good choice and they're only 3 door as well.

They have a larger 5 door verison now - never sat in one, but it would be that one only I'd consider! The car seat alone would dominate the other 500!
Original post by rubixcyoob
So, I've been using my mums car since I passed my test over two years ago - a 52 plate Fiat Punto, 5 door. However, today we got a call from the garage stating that it was essentially a waste of money trying to fix it and it's getting to the point of being dangerous to drive.

I'm looking into getting a car on finance, as I don't have the money lying around to just buy a car outright, and this way I can get a newer model. I also need a car as I'm graduating in June and will be looking further afield for work, and I have a two year old and trying to get him from A to B on pulbic transport is a bloody nightmare!

I've been looking at the likes of the Skoda Fabia, Volkswagen Polo, Peugeot 207, Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Swift, Fiat 500 of Fiat Punto - essentially nothing too big, with 5 doors (makes it easier with the car seat).

Firstly, does anyone have any recommendations out of any of these cars? Good points, bad points.

Also, I've never had a car on finance and I don't think my parents have either. Does anyone have any advice about this? Is it worthwhile or would you rather just have bought a car outright?

Keep checking the offers sections of manufacturers websites. I'm also graduating this year and will be in the market for a new car in the Autumn.

Seat currently have very nice offers on the Ibiza Toca. I think a 1.4 had a 46 month plan at £135 a month with no deposit - check it out! You'll tend to find the "bigger" badges wont have very good deals since the cars sell themselves (Volkswagen for example). Also look into companies with a long warranty - Kia do a 7 year and Hyundai have a 5 year unlimited mileage plan.

Edit: You should also look into nearly new cars, sometimes you'll stumble across demonstration models with roughly 2000 miles with a big chunk knocked off the price - a good dealer will offer a decent finance plan - be careful here though with warranties etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
They have a larger 5 door verison now - never sat in one, but it would be that one only I'd consider! The car seat alone would dominate the other 500!

Actually I think I know which one you mean, I think I sat in one!

My local fiat dealer had one but it was left hand drive, and they weren't on sale yet.

Quite a big car and if you can get a good deal on one definitely worth considering but with any new car, wait a while to see if any niggles come up in the first 6/12 months.
Original post by Jack7Richards
Keep checking the offers sections of manufacturers websites. I'm also graduating this year and will be in the market for a new car in the Autumn.

Seat currently have very nice offers on the Ibiza Toca. I think a 1.4 had a 46 month plan at £135 a month with no deposit - check it out! You'll tend to find the "bigger" badges wont have very good deals since the cars sell themselves (Volkswagen for example). Also look into companies with a long warranty - Kia do a 7 year and Hyundai have a 5 year unlimited mileage plan.

Edit: You should also look into nearly new cars, sometimes you'll stumble across demonstration models with roughly 2000 miles with a big chunk knocked off the price - a good dealer will offer a decent finance plan - be careful here though with warranties etc.

I totally forgot about Hyuandi and Kia!

yeah, I would go for ex-display over completely new probably, or even ex test drive, just because you get a fairly new car, low miles and it's a lot cheaper over all.

Most of the cars you mentioned are pretty good. I wouldnt go for the fiat punto though. I had one- and never again!!! It was nothing but trouble.
With finance, it might be worth looking for brand new cars that offer 0% finance, so you wont be paying any interest on it. My mum has just had a citroen C3 and she got the chance to have 0% finance. Im assuming they are still doing it.
I think a Vauxhall Corsa could be one to look at
If buying new then they offer 0% APR on finance
A 100,000 mile warranty (no limit on the no. of years, but they say the average yearly mileage is 12,000 so it would be equivalent to over 8 years)
The tax is pretty cheap (especially if you choose a start-stop engine)
Popular and in demand enough to be able to sell once you'd like a new car again

It's a bit more spacious than some of the other cars you've thought about but it might also be a bit more expensive aswell
(edited 11 years ago)
Haven't tried any of the ones you mentioned, but my instructors car was a Toyota Yaris and i loved it
Relatively spacious i would say, and lovely to drive, the next car i have i'd like it to be newer and so will go for finance hopefully, Id look at the Yaris and the newer Corsas because i have a 2005 one now which i love.

On some cars on finance you can get a years free insurance too
Reply 9
Kia Rio 1.1 Diesel, not the fastest thing in the world but good to drive, 7 year warranty, fairly cheap and comes with a lot of goodies as standard. Think the tax might be free as well.
Reply 10

Agree with Polo and Yaris definitely..........most of my paternal side has/had a Polo....at the moment about 3 polo's ranging from the older to the most recent, may rise to 4/5 soon. Yaris is really nice as well, especially the newer ones which have a lot more space.

Hyundia i30 are pretty decent, suzuki swift you said are also pretty fast and good value for money. Only other things are Audi A1, A3, Corsa, Mazada 3.
Also finance can be expensive so watch out for that, some charge higher rates depending on your credit rating, etc.
Skids fabia has my vote.. cheap and cheerful, built by Volkswagen and the Monte Carlo version is just a big go kart!

(mum owns one, did driving lessons in one)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamesHockey24
Skids fabia has my vote.. cheap and cheerful, built by Volkswagen and the Monte Carlo version is just a big go kart!

(mum owns one, did driving lessons in one)

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of practicality and cost, it's came down to the Skoda Fabia and Peugeot 208 and I'm going looking at the end of this week - so excited!
Reply 13
When I was looking at leases for my mum we found that the new Renault Clio (diesel) was very cheap on the lease. The new Ford Focus diesel was also pretty cheap.

Not sure if that's relevant though.
You should have a look at some Hyundais and Kia. Even though they are Korean, they've improved a lot recently and offer a 5 year unlimited mileage (Hyundai) and 7 year 100000 miles warranty (Kia) for free.

Currently, you could get a 1.2l Hyundai i10 5 doors Top Spec with alloys, aircon, electric windows, sunroof and heated seats for £9495 with 0% APR Finance if you put in 50% deposit so paying 35 months of £129. Its worth considering since its soo cheap and has a 5 years unlimited miles warranty, atleast go for a test drive. It would be something that I would've got, if I actually looked round and wasn't stupid enough to buy a Micra instead. You'd be paying this price for a base spec version of your listed cars without all thoses equipment and is very basic. Or if thats too small, theres the 1.2l i20 5 door Top spec for £12k and ix20 Top spec at £14k which has 0% APR finance if you pay 50% deposit.

Although I prefer Kia's styling and longer warranty, its too bad they don't do 0% APR finance deals at the moment. But still worth looking at. You could also look at the VW Up/Skoda Citigo with 5 doors, its got quite a few car of the year awards and is relatively cheap.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest