The Student Room Group

``
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
our exam board is much harder than most.... no other exam board for science (that i know of) have the big 6mark question....

i think AQA is the most popular ... but there grade boundaries are fairly high!

but im happy since a lot of the 6's stuff comes up in AS-level e.g. chlorine radicals in C6

hmmm

have you started past papers??

ryan
Reply 2
Hey guys , I'm doing this exam on Monday aswellll. So would be good if we could all help each other. Erm regarding the point that OCR is much harder than AQA ... it really is not!!! believe me ahahahaha, I did AQA sciences for like 3 months before i moved house and to my new school which does OCR gateway and AQA was very challebnging, and it was a gov. requirement to introduce 6 mark questions , and so AQA has them aswell , just look at a past paper (they are there!) The trouble with OCR are the odd wording and marking ,and online resources which is why so many centres opt for AQA. ( the best)
Reply 3
Original post by goldfish21
Hey guys , I'm doing this exam on Monday aswellll. So would be good if we could all help each other. Erm regarding the point that OCR is much harder than AQA ... it really is not!!! believe me ahahahaha, I did AQA sciences for like 3 months before i moved house and to my new school which does OCR gateway and AQA was very challebnging, and it was a gov. requirement to introduce 6 mark questions , and so AQA has them aswell , just look at a past paper (they are there!) The trouble with OCR are the odd wording and marking ,and online resources which is why so many centres opt for AQA. ( the best)

aqa doesn't introduce topics like chlorine radicals does it?
i dont think there is nothing on say AND gates..NOR gates and stuff...
ther isnt anything on how fuel cells work...or dna fingerrinting

or does it?

evidence?

Ryan
Just done this exam and was wondering what the grade boundaries you think it will be/what they were for the last Higher paper?
Reply 5
That was fairly ok. But it was the number questions in section D that were too much. and also the wierd bacteria question "at 400 celcius degrees"

does anyone know what the answer was for that?

also the 6mark question for B6 on eutrphifaction, what was the distance?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I put 10 Km for the 6 marker, Please tell me its right :s-smilie:. Most of my friends put 40 KM but how can that be? The fish population starts to increase over there so the fertilizer must have diluted away.
Reply 7
Original post by bossun
I put 10 Km for the 6 marker, Please tell me its right :s-smilie:. Most of my friends put 40 KM but how can that be? The fish population starts to increase over there so the fertilizer must have diluted away.

I put 10 km aswell :smile: I think it doesnt matter though whatever you but aslong as its (vaguely sensible) what matters is how you justify it by explaining why appropriately - words of my teacher after the exam lol Anyway how did everyone find it , I ofund it quite easy but knew everything in B4 and B5 so well that i went into too mcuh detail and ran out of time so rushed the end half of B6 and missed out half of section D :/
Does anyone think the grade boundaries will go up ridiculous amounts? I have a feeling they will be quite high -.-
Reply 9
I'd say around 50% would be a C..
Original post by bossun

I put 30 km because either side of it bacteria increased and fish decreased because the fertilisers made algae grew which eventually (after other stuff) made the fish die but bacteria increase. So it spread out either side of the 30 km mark
Reply 11
I'd say it's hard to tell with this exam. It's a new specification and we're the first ever people to sit the B4, B5 and B6 exam. In the first B1, B2 and B3 exam the grade boundaries were quite low, and ideally I'd like them to be for this! There was a lot of data analysis, though, so I reckon we're looking at around 30 marks for a C, 42 for a B, 54 for an A and 66 for an A*.

I think it went quite well but whenever I say that I get a U so I can't be sure!
does anyone know what the grade boundaries were for the b1 b2 and b3 exam?? do you think they will be the same this time?
Original post by gcsepanicker
does anyone know what the grade boundaries were for the b1 b2 and b3 exam?? do you think they will be the same this time?

If you're talking about the one from June last year than yes! They were really low - (42/75 was A*). However, I think the grade boundaries will be far lower than people are saying, I'd say 55/85 would be an A*...
Original post by jpetersgill
If you're talking about the one from June last year than yes! They were really low - (42/75 was A*). However, I think the grade boundaries will be far lower than people are saying, I'd say 55/85 would be an A*...

that would be brilliant! I can't believe how low the grade boundaries were last year! Let's hope they haven't got higher this year and that the new part d has meant they're still low..
Reply 15
The Part D section is so easy that I wouldn't be surprised if the grade boundaries for each grade moved up ten marks simply because it's such a simple section to get right.
Reply 16
You guys are thinking Section D is too easy but the mark scheme is actually very specific to the question. I was shocked when i looked at the specimen mark scheme. So don't think that just because you managed to answer, it means you got the marks.:tongue:
Original post by bossun
You guys are thinking Section D is too easy but the mark scheme is actually very specific to the question. I was shocked when i looked at the specimen mark scheme. So don't think that just because you managed to answer, it means you got the marks.:tongue:

True! I got 4/10 for section D in the specimen because of how specific the mark scheme for it is!
Reply 18
Original post by bossun

where did you find the specimen mark scheme? could you link it to me please
Reply 19
Original post by kurdistan1
where did you find the specimen mark scheme? could you link it to me please

Scroll down, Its after the question paper.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/80663-unit-b732-02-biology-modules-b4-b5-b6-higher-accredited.pdf

I got a heart attack when i first read it because none of my answers matched (for section D) LOL :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending