The Student Room Group

Regretting my degree choice

'Regret' could be too strong a word to describe my retrospective view, but I'll go with it for now.

I'm just looking to see if anybody sympathises with my situation and/or can provide some advice, to comfort or to give guidance, either way. I've spent the last three years getting a degree; in the first two years I undertook a foundation degree in journalism and then topped it up with a Bachelor's degree in Creative Practices (which I made documentary journalism the focus of).

If I could hand pick a job, it'd probably be magazine writer, for starters, but progressing towards my dream job isn't my ultimate goal in life, but more progressing towards my dream place of residence. I'd like to move to Australia before (or a little after) I'm 30, being 24 now and, initially at least, I wouldn't be too bothered about my job since it's all about the location for me.

I sort of pieced together the idea of being a print writer with the idea of doing it in Aussieland at separate times and at the time it was plausible. This was until I read that the Australian government has ceased all migrant applications for individuals with journalism as their skill-set. So, I'm sort of left thinking... huh, that's cool, my entire idea just imploded, unless the migration policies change down under, but I'm not hopeful of this.

My vision of a life in upside-down-land hasn't been skewed by this rather gigantic obstacle, so I've formulated a rough plan to gain qualification and work experience in another field, one that is welcomed with open arms in Australia. I have over a decade's experience with web design and development and could quite easily obtain a Microsoft Certified award in this and then grab some work from it.

So, that's my situation. Not sure why I typed it all out and even more unsure why I think any of you should have read it, but I guess I'm seeking validation for my actions, any advice or just something I haven't thought of yet. I do regret my decision to get a degree in the tremendously competitive field of journalism (which I stupidly failed to consider before doing the degree), and even more-so now that Australia's closed its door to all migrant journalists. I love writing and seeing my work in print, but I love the idea of my dream residence and lifestyle even more.

Thanks to any advice I can get! (By the way, I have considered proceeding with the web development pathway, eventually landing in Aussieland and then pursuing a journalism job, before anyone points it out. :P)
You are 24, so under 30... Why not go over to Oz on a working holiday visa? No idea if getting a job on your field, then getting sponsorship, would get round the points issue, but you could at least live your dream for a year?
Reply 2
Original post by flying plum
You are 24, so under 30... Why not go over to Oz on a working holiday visa? No idea if getting a job on your field, then getting sponsorship, would get round the points issue, but you could at least live your dream for a year?

You make a good point. A working visa would also allow me to get a view of Australia before making the decision to move there permanently. Thanks for that. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending