The Student Room Group

Improving the Model UN

The last few months have seen several changes and improvements to the MUN, such as the buddy scheme, wiki updates, rotating SC membership/UNO reform and a new Charter.

I feel there's still some progress to be made to make the MUN a more vibrant, active community.

A few ideas I've had include:

Security Council reform - making it more relevant, active

Improving activity - absolutely crucial if we're to have greater participation here.

Advertising the MUN beyond this forum

Wiki updates - history section, a list of hypes and country profiles

So what do you think? Share your ideas to help Rory and myself make the MUN better for you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Birchington

Improving activity - absolutely crucial if we're to have greater participation here.

So what do you think? Share your ideas to help Rory and myself make the MUN better for you.

First I heard of these ideas :lol:

Yeah they are good ideas to make progress with MUN in terms of activity etc etc

Please share your ideas people!
Reply 2
I think there needs to be more ways for people to engage with the MUN. In the MHoC, people can propose bills, collaborate with their party, debate specific bills, etc. In the MUN, most of the time all people are able to do is to comment on news stories, which is quite a passive activity. Recently we had the hype which was good because it supplied that ability for people to engage with it, but generally I think this aspect is lacking.

So the real question in my mind is how do we provide a means for people to engage with the MUN and make it more interactive?
Original post by Birchington

The Wiki updates and advertising beyond the forum are good ideas. I agree that we need to improve activity. I'll try to post as much as possible for Fiji but the discussions don't have enough activity at the moment.
I agree the Security Council reforms but how would we go about it making it more active and relevant. I'd like to see more resolutions produced and I will try my best to write a few over the next few weeks. I believe this will give reps a chance to debate on issues that could significantly impact the country they represent and this will engage more members.
I think we should try and encourage people to submit more resolutions. I mean, when was the last time someone submitted a resolution?
Also, not all resolutions have to be serious. I think if we're able to show that we can both be serious as reps of countries but also have fun as well, then people will want to take part.
What do you think?
Reply 6
I am currently developing my Campaign and Idea's to help develop the MUN. I have discussed this with Rory and he believes they are good, I will post my plans / idea's once I have completed the development stage.
Reply 7
Original post by jakemittle
I think we should try and encourage people to submit more resolutions. I mean, when was the last time someone submitted a resolution?
Also, not all resolutions have to be serious. I think if we're able to show that we can both be serious as reps of countries but also have fun as well, then people will want to take part.
What do you think?

I think your absolutely right, resolutions should be the heart and soul of this place - instead they aren't... news articles and people responding to them are instead. This isn't how it should be...
Reply 8
I completely agree with the whole thing about resolutions. I think the main trouble is similar to the problem with budgeting in the MHoC. If we pass so many resolutions that the MUN deviates hugely from reality, we are going to have a tough time predicting what will actually happen.

I have already given my ideas about Security Council reform in the charter reform thread :smile:
Reply 9
I am happy to contribute regarding SC reform, I did get a First on an essay that looked at it. I am happy to forward the stuff I looked at in that essay.

My role needs to be properly defined so everyone knows what the role involves etc because it ambiguous at the moment. I am happy to have discussions on this matter
I'm trying to think what I can do on the twitter side. In the past I have tried to reach out to other MUN and UN organisations but to no avail. IF we could only try and make some friends and boost publicity.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I'm trying to think what I can do on the twitter side. In the past I have tried to reach out to other MUN and UN organisations but to no avail. IF we could only try and make some friends and boost publicity.

Yeah I'm not having any better luck tbh. But we have to keep trying right?
I think something that would defo get people pumped up and inadvertently increase Twitter activity would be some sort of meet-up.
Another thing would be an increase in online activity, since then we'd have more things to Tweet about instead of just kind of re-tweeting news.

Original post by RoryS
I think your absolutely right, resolutions should be the heart and soul of this place - instead they aren't... news articles and people responding to them are instead. This isn't how it should be...

Then lets start by creating such an environment ourselves and surely people will follow suit no?
I'll look to writing one in the next couple of days

Original post by Qwertish
I completely agree with the whole thing about resolutions. I think the main trouble is similar to the problem with budgeting in the MHoC. If we pass so many resolutions that the MUN deviates hugely from reality, we are going to have a tough time predicting what will actually happen.

I have already given my ideas about Security Council reform in the charter reform thread :smile:

I think that we can solve this by maybe limiting the amount of resolutions one can pass?..What do you think
MUN wide song contest? Could show that we're a friendly bunch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Still think we should have an MUN meet up.
I think something that would defo get people pumped up and inadvertently increase Twitter activity would be some sort of meet-up.
Another thing would be an increase in online activity, since then we'd have more things to Tweet about instead of just kind of re-tweeting news.

I agree that tweeting actual activity would be a start but actually building a base of followers and making it interesting enough for people to follow us for whatever reason is the key. People shouldn't follow us simply because they are a member of or associated with TSR, they should see a twitter account for a roleplay international Model United Nations hosted and run by young people and follow us for that reason. Or something similar.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I agree that tweeting actual activity would be a start but actually building a base of followers and making it interesting enough for people to follow us for whatever reason is the key. People shouldn't follow us simply because they are a member of or associated with TSR, they should see a twitter account for a roleplay international Model United Nations hosted and run by young people and follow us for that reason. Or something similar.

Very true, but in order for that to happen, we have to start operating more like a model UN, proposing resolutions and the like. Also, some love from the HoC/Student Room twitter pages wouldn't go amiss.

Do any of you participate in other MUN events? Maybe you could try and promote the TSRMUN?
Reply 16

Then lets start by creating such an environment ourselves and surely people will follow suit no?
I'll look to writing one in the next couple of days

I think that we can solve this by maybe limiting the amount of resolutions one can pass?..What do you think

What about a yearly reset back to reality? The other thing is, new reps would have to be aware of MUN resolutions passed because they would change the diplomatic situation...
Reply 17
I'm definitely interested in holding an MUN meet up this summer.

In terms of resolutions, writing them is really up to individual reps. I'll encourage people to get more involved in the next PM update.
Reply 18
Just came up with this.

How about we debate real life resolutions and decide whether or not to pass them in the MUN? (as well as other purely MUN resolutions)
Original post by Qwertish
Just came up with this.

How about we debate real life resolutions and decide whether or not to pass them in the MUN? (as well as other purely MUN resolutions)

I really like this idea, especially if we struggle to get a lot of our own resolutions written.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending