The Student Room Group

is this okay in a relationship?

Its been ages since ive been in a relationship so just want some quick advice because i dont want either of us to mess things up!

Is it okay to be friends with ex's/previous sexual conquests if your in a new relationship?

I had a **** buddy for a while, is it okay for me to still talk to him as long as their is no flirting or anything?

I just really like this guy and I dont wanna do anything that i look back and think 'oh crap i shouldnt have spoken to him' or whatever.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No reason why not, but why not ask your boyfriend? Better to know in regards to your specific relationship rather than hypothetical ones with TSR users.
You should be able to speak to whoever you want (provided it's just friendly)

If your boyfriend has a problem with it then he's too controlling.
Original post by Patrick Wallace
No reason why not, but why not ask your boyfriend? Better to know in regards to your specific relationship rather than hypothetical ones with TSR users.

I agree, OP should ask their new boyfriend whether or not their comfortable with it, as honesty is the best and it's better to ask now then ask later.
Reply 4
Original post by therisenmitten
You should be able to speak to whoever you want (provided it's just friendly)

If your boyfriend has a problem with it then he's too controlling.

yeh but surely if its a guy you had regular sexual activity with it would be understandable? I dont really wanna bring this up cos weve only been seeing each other a few weeks but i really like him and dont wanna take any risks.
Reply 5
As long as both your friendship and intentions with them are bona fide. Of course it is :smile:
Original post by Ice-Baby
yeh but surely if its a guy you had regular sexual activity with it would be understandable? I dont really wanna bring this up cos weve only been seeing each other a few weeks but i really like him and dont wanna take any risks.

You don't need to say that. Just say that you're still friends with people that you were in a relationship with before and have had sex with before but no longer with them. If they say they don't like it, then don't talk to them. If they say it's fine, then it's all clear, unless they say it in a pissed off way as they may get slightly annoyed.
Reply 7
As long as there is not flirting or anything that could be disrespectful to your partner then i dont believe your partner has any right to decide who you do or do not speak to.

No, it should definitely be ok.
I am really close friends with an ex who I had a casual relationship with and I couldn't imagine a boyfriend telling me that I couldn't speak to him any more.
If you're only friends then there's nothing wrong with it.

There shouldn't be any need to bring it up though.
Reply 9
I am really close friends with an ex who I had a casual relationship with and I couldn't imagine a boyfriend telling me that I couldn't speak to him any more.

okay well i just spoke to him and he said hes still good friends with several of his ex's so i guess that answers it for me lol :smile:
okay well i just spoke to him and he said hes still good friends with several of his ex's so i guess that answers it for me lol :smile:

That's good, nothing to worry about :smile:
Reply 11

You =/= the rest of the world.
Original post by CJKay
You =/= the rest of the world.

I realise this. I was just trying to help by giving my own perspective.

I'm just saying that it's not acceptable for a guy to tell his girlfriend who she can and can't speak to.
Do you not agree with that?
Reply 13
I realise this. I was just trying to help by giving my own perspective.

I'm just saying that it's not acceptable for a guy to tell his girlfriend who she can and can't speak to.
Do you not agree with that?

I do not have an objective view on that situation.
Original post by CJKay
I do not have an objective view on that situation.

Then why did you criticize my my answer and I presume neg rep me for sharing my opinion?
Reply 15
Then why did you criticize my my answer and I presume neg rep me for sharing my opinion?

I'm out of rep, so the negs you received are from other people.
I criticised you because you made an unfair and objective decision without considering either a) the situation or b) the consequences.

For instance, person A cheats on person B with person C. Person B makes the decision that they will stay with person A, but with the demand that person A never speaks to person C again.
Is that controlling or unfair to you?
Original post by CJKay
I'm out of rep, so the negs you received are from other people.
I criticised you because you made an unfair and objective decision without considering either a) the situation or b) the consequences.

For instance, person A cheats on person B with person C. Person B makes the decision that they will stay with person A, but with the demand that person A never speaks to person C again.
Is that controlling or unfair to you?

Considering that the OP explained the situation I think my answer was relevant to it.

And on the hypothetical situation: personally I do think that is unreasonable. Just my opinion but relationships shouldn't have demands.
Reply 17
thanks everyone who replied
Reply 18
As long as you'd be okay with him hanging out with a female he used to sleep with of course
Yes, but you should allow him to do the same with any previous girlfriends of his

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending