The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

walshie
I would definitely not say RS is more respected than ICT, that's why I said to drop RS. Even I realised at a young age that RS (or RE at the time), was ever going to get me anywhere even if the teacher said I was super duper, and my grades reflected that. It's on par with Critical Thinking and Sociology. Pointless.

Kings don't want 4 A levels for Business, they want 3. You won't have any better chance at all; that's why it's better to concentrate on the 3 A levels and get good grades all round this year. To fill RS, you could easily say you were an active member in religous activities; that more than makes up for the extinguished A2 grade.
Oh - and Kings requirements aren't high; ABB or AAB now, if I can recall. So other students with 4no A2 is just pointless IMO. Better save your concentration.

Oooh, I was always told that RS is far more respected than IT. Especially since it's not on LSE's blacklist. If this is true, 3 of my 4 subjects are rubbish. Hence, it would be wise to make up for my lack of traditional subjects by carrying on with 4. That was my logic. Hmm.
gemgems89
Oooh, I was always told that RS is far more respected than IT. Especially since it's not on LSE's blacklist. If this is true, 3 of my 4 subjects are rubbish. Hence, it would be wise to make up for my lack of traditional subjects by carrying on with 4. That was my logic. Hmm.

The only reason you might want to do 4 A-levels is if you don't feel confident in your other 3 and need it as a back-up for. I think this is usually the case for Med students.
Multiplexed
The only reason you might want to do 4 A-levels is if you don't feel confident in your other 3 and need it as a back-up for. I think this is usually the case for Med students.

Yeah, I guess I should think about dropping one then. Just don't know whether to drop IT or RS.

I've seen you in the Nottingham Management thread... what A-Levels are you taking?
gemgems89
Yeah, I guess I should think about dropping one then. Just don't know whether to drop IT or RS.

I've seen you in the Nottingham Management thread... what A-Levels are you taking?

Economics, Business & Law. I was the same as you, had no idea at all that some of these subjects were 'Black-listed'. This is until i reach a few weeks into my A-levels. Oh well, i got my offer so i'm happy.

English language, Business Studies & ICT should be fine i think.
Hey chrissy,

I would say Economics, Maths and any other third subject you like, a language will be great. Though in the end do what you enjoy.

Good luck deciding & all the best
Reply 25
Economics, Maths, English and a language would be the ideal combination.
If you want to know which A levels are best for business studies at a specific group of universities then don't ask on TSR - all you'll get here are the opinions of a bunch of pre and current university students.

Contact the admissions tutors at the universities you're considering and ask them directly. Most admissions tutors are easy enough to email and it'll take you at most an afternoon of emailling and you'll end up with the opinions of the people that matter.
Reply 27
PQ
If you want to know which A levels are best for business studies at a specific group of universities then don't ask on TSR - all you'll get here are the opinions of a bunch of pre and current university students.

Contact the admissions tutors at the universities you're considering and ask them directly. Most admissions tutors are easy enough to email and it'll take you at most an afternoon of emailling and you'll end up with the opinions of the people that matter.

Will they tell you? I have emailed some unis and they said it doesnt matter.
gemgems89

Judging from my knowledge of the admissions policy at NUBS, I would absolutely agree with Multiplexed.

I'm coming out of the German school system, so my insight into A-levels basically comes from my girlfriend, but I would see ICT to be more suitable than RS. I would not consider either of them to be a traditional, academic course, and ICT should definitely teach you material you might find useful when studying at Nottingham. For instance, 'Computers in Business' is a core module of the management syllabus.

As PQ said, contact the admissions tutors/coordinators and ask. I know for a fact that the admissions coordinator at NUBS is a very nice and approachable person.

One thing I do know for sure, relevant to the OP, is that even though A-level maths is not a necessity at Nottingham, it is a tremendous advantage when applying, which may set you ahead of the competition.
Reply 29
hey welll the problem is that i have already done a year of exams and coursework in geography, double byusiness and philosophy and ethics...so what do i do now..will i get into a good university im so dissappointed now ....maybe ill just give up lol what do i do guys ? your my peers (sort of) spose i value your opinion
dont really think it mattwers for most unis. just check prospectuses to make sure!

im doign a level pe and got in for law! :P
Reply 31
hafz
dont really think it mattwers for most unis. just check prospectuses to make sure!

im doign a level pe and got in for law! :P

What other A Levels did you do?
Reply 32
what do you think i should do now then?
c.h.r.i.s.s.y
what do you think i should do now then?

Keep Geography would be my advice. But really, no one here can tell you how an admissions tutor will look upon your application. Hence, you may want to look up the universities you would most like to go to and then contact the admissions tutors/coordinators. They are the ones you want an answer to your question from.
Reply 34
Its a simple logical answer - will RE help you out in real life and will it help you with your studies at Uni?

Then we have ICT which will help you in real life and will help you in Business with Information Systems. Oh - I'm doing Business :rolleyes:

Think ICT is far more suited than RS. Half of employers turn a blind eye to RS.
Reply 35
Someone is at City who had the AVCE in Business and Law A Level and is doing Law. I dont think you will have a problem.
walshie
Its a simple logical answer - will RE help you out in real life and will it help you with your studies at Uni?

Then we have ICT which will help you in real life and will help you in Business with Information Systems. Oh - I'm doing Business :rolleyes:

Think ICT is far more suited than RS. Half of employers turn a blind eye to RS.

I do enjoy RS though...
Reply 37
Do you want to drop any? If not dont.
Reply 38
gemgems89
I'm doing English language, Business Studies, ICT, RS and Critical Thinking. I intend on carrying the first 4 to A2 level.

When I chose my A-levels, I didn't realise they weren't all that respected. I just like the subjects and I'm doing well in them. ICT and business are by no means easy. ICT requires a lot of effort in the massive coursework and business requires exam technique and good knowledge. Grrr!

I am also doing English Lang, ICT and Business. Estimated ACA in that order. And yes ICT IS HORRIBLE because the questions are so poorly set out that you end up answering the wrong thing!

I would say any of these is good for a management course:

1: Economics
2: Business
3: Maths
4: ICT (IT p[lays quite a part in some courses and will become more prominent)
5: Eng language (yes, we do need to be good writers to deal with essay questions: FACT) And to communicate well in general: if you're gonna be a manager, you have to do that!
6: Possibly Psychology as there is some relevance to business concepts and theory.
Reply 39
City Uni's business degree only requires a B in GCSE Maths but that is no where enough! A level Maths will definitely help out a lot as well as an essay based subject

Latest

Trending

Trending