The Student Room Group

OCR Advancing Physics G492 ~5 June 2013~

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else resitting? Ths is the one resit I'm dreading, becase I NEED an A to get my Uni place :s I got 62/100 raw in june 2012, and I need to get 75-85 ideally :s
Any tips? (Having done unit 4 though it helps haha)
well the pre-released material tells us what is gonna be in the paper so what questions do you think we're gonna get for each article?

I think for article 1 get questions on:
sensitivity (graph)
voltage/temperature equations
definition of range, resolution, sensitivity

article 2:
acceleration equations (deriving the equations)
vectors
obviously v^2=u^2+2as equations

article 3:
uncertainty
wave equations (what kind)
reliability of experiment

what do you think?
I'm thinking we'll have to choose a sensor for something eg central heating system. I've also got a feeling we'll have to do something with zero errors, since neither of the sensors start at 0.
Reply 23
I thought these where quite useful for revision..

has anybody got an annotated version of the Advanced Notice with all the things we should know on it? Lost my version :/
How are people feeling about the rest of the exam? I've done most of the paper papers and it's been kinda up and down... :/
Reply 25
I got 68/90 UMS for G491, 17/20 for G493. What do you think I need to get in G492 to get an A overall? or for a B at lowest?
Original post by walkers38
I got 68/90 UMS for G491, 17/20 for G493. What do you think I need to get in G492 to get an A overall? or for a B at lowest?

G493 is out of 30. So I'm assuming you have not included one of the courseworks.

For an A you need 240 UMS overall.

So 240 - 68 - (G493 doubled), would give you the UMS needed in G492 for an A.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 27
[INDENT]Hi - I asked earlier whether anyone thought it'd help to actually 'do' the trolley experiment in the Lab as they suggest? I wondered what inisght would this give us as this example is one we've all read about and studied before... No one answered so I thought I'd ask again - has anyone actually done the experiment as described? [/INDENT]
Original post by reebop
Hi - I asked earlier whether anyone thought it'd help to actually 'do' the trolley experiment in the Lab as they suggest? I wondered what inisght would this give us as this example is one we've all read about and studied before... No one answered so I thought I'd ask again - has anyone actually done the experiment as described?

We did it, but I don't think it helped much. As long as you make sure you know some potential errors, and you actually know how to calculate gravity from the results, I can't really think of much else to do with that article. It's the speed of light one I'm struggling to prepare for.
Reply 29
Hi

Jan 2013 Mark scheme loaded fine.

Does anyone have the Jan 2013 question paper to upload?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by belucky
Hi

Jan 2013 Mark scheme loaded fine.

Does anyone have the Jan 2013 question paper to upload?

Here you go, just click on the sign in as a guest and it'll give you an adobe file.

So, how is everyone feeling about each section? Myself feels more confident for section C than the rest actually, but hey we'll see.
Reply 31
Original post by AmethfulEm
Here you go, just click on the sign in as a guest and it'll give you an adobe file.

So, how is everyone feeling about each section? Myself feels more confident for section C than the rest actually, but hey we'll see.

Thanks for this!!!

Section C at least gives you a chance whereas the rest covers soooo much it's hard to know where to start.

Just keep trying past papers to cope. Busy week next week biology Monday, Chemistry Tuesday and they Phsyics Wednesday.

Good luck to you all. !!!
Reply 32
Rather than a link to potential questions (although they're helpful, they showed me how much I suck at this), has anyone got any advice to offer on section C? I feel as if it's gonna drag my grade down dramatically...
Reply 33
Anyone got model answers to question 10 and 11 of Jan 2012?
Reply 34
Original post by jaetpa
Rather than a link to potential questions (although they're helpful, they showed me how much I suck at this), has anyone got any advice to offer on section C? I feel as if it's gonna drag my grade down dramatically...

Focus on the quality of measurements aspects that you did in your course work. Most of the questions relate to uncertainty, errors etc.
Reply 35
anyone got the january 2013 paper?
Reply 36
Original post by SherlockHolmes
G493 is out of 30. So I'm assuming you have not included one of the courseworks.

For an A you need 240 UMS overall.

So 240 - 68 - (G493 doubled), would give you the UMS needed in G492 for an A.

I calculated I need to get 120/150 UMS in this June paper to get an A overall. :eek: There goes away my hope for an A. At least B isn't looking too bad. 105/150. :rolleyes:
Reply 37
What questions could they possibly ask for the trolley one?
* a = gsintheta, so calculate g (a would have been found already)
* dedue v2 = u2 + 2as
* why is value of g, smaller than the actual value? due to friction in motion, energy losses

Any other in mind?:s-smilie:
Reply 38
Original post by jaetpa

~Definitions of sensitivity, range, resolution.
~How to calculate sensitivity? Its the gradient
~Learn how to deduce v2 = u2 + 2as
~Think back on chocolate in microwave experiment. Remember to apply v = f x wavelength
~How to calculate %Uncertainty: (error/value) x 100
~a=gsintheta
~Which sensor is better at different conditions. The answer to this depends in which condition they're talking about. But generally A is better at low temps.

NB: There is no general advice on section C. Just need to learn depending on the context. The best way to learn is just master on the potential questions.:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
Does anyone have a link to the mark scheme for Jan 2013?

Quick Reply