The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham uni accomodation help

So, I'm an international and dont have any idea about accommodation, other than the info from their website. I would really appreciate some help in choosing Accommodation.

I would like to be in a lively area with a lot of people and entertainment facilities. I would also like to have catered accom. So, any suggestions?
Reply 1
Well if you want catered, then your choices have been narrowed. I'm personally going for The Spinney - it's been recently refurbished, the cheapest and not too far away from the campus! There's an accommodation open day on Saturday 20th April so you can have a look there if you wish. But I would suggest you fill in the application form and then feel free to adjust your preferences later; that way they won't look at your application last. What course do you have an offer for?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 3
Original post by sounique
Well if you want catered, then your choices have been narrowed. I'm personally going for The Spinney - it's been recently refurbished, the cheapest and not too far away from the campus! There's an accommodation open day on Saturday 20th April so you can have a look there if you wish. But I would suggest you fill in the application form and then feel free to adjust your preferences later; that way they won't look at your application last. What course do you have an offer for?

I am an international with an offer for medicine and I am really in a tight spot here, regarding accom. I would have liked to stay in prichets because of the social center, but they dont have catered. I have no idea how to cook so catered is a must for me. Being international, I cant even attend the open day:s-smilie:.
Reply 4

That really helped!!!
Thanks alot
:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ridwan
I am an international with an offer for medicine and I am really in a tight spot here, regarding accom. I would have liked to stay in prichets because of the social center, but they dont have catered. I have no idea how to cook so catered is a must for me. Being international, I cant even attend the open day:s-smilie:.

Are you sure you're not allowed? You could fly all the way here, I mean it'll be worth it - choosing the place where you'll stay for the next year. I hold an offer for Medicine, too! So hyped up for next year. What are you conditions? Oh, and also - Jarrett's is the "best" halls and the safest I've heard, plus it's ensuite. I don't mind where I'm placed, I've stayed with friends a few months ago in Kings Halls and it's so very cramped! So, we're lucky with Bham.
Reply 6
Original post by sounique
Are you sure you're not allowed? You could fly all the way here, I mean it'll be worth it - choosing the place where you'll stay for the next year. I hold an offer for Medicine, too! So hyped up for next year. What are you conditions? Oh, and also - Jarrett's is the "best" halls and the safest I've heard, plus it's ensuite. I don't mind where I'm placed, I've stayed with friends a few months ago in Kings Halls and it's so very cramped! So, we're lucky with Bham.

Ofcourse Im allowed. I just dont want to spend 3000 pounds to go there again. I am from bangladesh and it is half way across the earth. I am interested by the vale, especially tennis courts.
Reply 7
Original post by Ridwan
Ofcourse Im allowed. I just dont want to spend 3000 pounds to go there again. I am from bangladesh and it is half way across the earth. I am interested by the vale, especially tennis courts.

If you want catered then you have to go for one of the Vale halls, and choose the catered option. There's a social centre there too. You might want to consider the fact that the catering for breakfast and dinner meals is in the Hub, which is beneath Shackleton. If you live elsewhere on the Vale, you'll have to walk over there to get your meals, if you're not on campus.
I know some med students in catered accommodation who say they often end up missing meals because the times don't mesh well with med studentness - check!
Reply 9
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I know some med students in catered accommodation who say they often end up missing meals because the times don't mesh well with med studentness - check!

Yeah but something is better than nothing. I know squat about cooking and I cant risk wasting my time, learning how to cook, so catered is the only option for me.:frown:
Original post by Ridwan
Yeah but something is better than nothing. I know squat about cooking and I cant risk wasting my time, learning how to cook, so catered is the only option for me.:frown:

You're going to have to learn to cook for yourself some time?
Original post by Ridwan

That philosophy is going to go right out the window in year 2 mate, cooking is piss easy. Most people regret going catered.
Reply 12
Original post by deathhead
That philosophy is going to go right out the window in year 2 mate, cooking is piss easy. Most people regret going catered.

I want to go self catered, but my mother is skeptical about me knowing how to cook. Coming from a south asian family, my mother is very traditional and doesnt believe that some one with no experience ( especially a boy) cannot learn how to cook that easily. She wants me to go catered and since she doesnt have any problems with giving me the extra money, Im playing along:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending