The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I am in a similar position and would really appreciate some advice. I'm in my third week at Cambridge now and I hate it, the people are
nice and I've made friends but the course is already too much for me, I'm doing engineering and definitely think I should be doing it I do enjoy the topics but I rarely understand anything and feel like if it's like this now what's it going to be like in a few weeks time. Also I'm incredibly homesick it's actually physically painful, I know I haven't been here long and it will hopefully get better but right now it's unbearable. I don't know if another uni would be better for me I know engineering is a hard degree I'm under no illusion about that but I don't know of the pace and style of teaching here is what's best for me, I'm going to stick it out because I'd have nothing else to do if I dropped out I may as well try for a year. I also don't know how I'd cope with the embarrassment if I dropped out and switched unis, I worked so hard to get here and I don't want to let anyone down
Original post by Firefox23
Hi, I am in a similar position and would really appreciate some advice. I'm in my third week at Cambridge now and I hate it, the people are
nice and I've made friends but the course is already too much for me, I'm doing engineering and definitely think I should be doing it I do enjoy the topics but I rarely understand anything and feel like if it's like this now what's it going to be like in a few weeks time. Also I'm incredibly homesick it's actually physically painful, I know I haven't been here long and it will hopefully get better but right now it's unbearable. I don't know if another uni would be better for me I know engineering is a hard degree I'm under no illusion about that but I don't know of the pace and style of teaching here is what's best for me, I'm going to stick it out because I'd have nothing else to do if I dropped out I may as well try for a year. I also don't know how I'd cope with the embarrassment if I dropped out and switched unis, I worked so hard to get here and I don't want to let anyone down

Waaaaaaay too early to decide if Cambridge is right for you or not. A lot of people experience the initial shock of the life as a Cambridge students in first few weeks (or a few months for some) and most of them get over it.
Talk to your DoS and tutor at your college. And talk to your college parents too. That's what they're there for, to support you. ( I'm sure they'll assure you you're fine.) :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending