The Student Room Group

driving licence in 10 weeks?

is it possible to do this? this is theory included.
i want to get mine in the summer and get it over and done, i wouldn't like it if it carried on until i start uni.

people say chances would be slim.

Scroll to see replies

I took 11 weeks, but most of my friends have taken nearer 6 months so it depends on how easy driving is for you and stuff. But that is enough time.
Reply 2
Original post by alfalimaindia
I took 11 weeks, but most of my friends have taken nearer 6 months so it depends on how easy driving is for you and stuff. But that is enough time.

how many lessons a week did you have?
It's not so much weeks but how many lessons, how good you are and your instructors pass rate. I passed after 9 months with a lesson every week (so maybe just under 35 lessons) but I did it first time.

I highly recommend getting an independant instructor, no companies or schemes. He or she will be representing themselves then and do the best to deliver the best service.
Reply 4
I'll be trying to do the same thing over the summer before uni starts up again.
The way I'm doing it will be to drive around with my parents at every given opportunity until I feel that I'm good, and then get lessons so that I am up to test level :smile:
Hopefully it'll work... :biggrin:
Reply 5
I did it in 10 weeks, doing 3 hours a week while at college and passed on second attempt :smile: if you do it in the summer youll be able to do more hours per week so it is definitly doable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cooldudeman
how many lessons a week did you have?

One 2 hour lesson a week except for the first 2 weeks and last week before my test when I had two a week. I did go out in the car with my dad for about 4 hours a week as well and did 6 3 hour drives over the summer, so I think it depends how much you can practice out lessons. I passed first time.

Just to add, I had already driven in a field a few months prior so I already knew how to drive a bit. Also due to holidays and stuff I missed 5 lessons(5 weeks worth).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
If you have got a car to insure on as a provisional driver then you probably have more chance, i took 6 months having 1 hour lesson a week, so about 28 hours in total, buyt i have friends who didn't really have many lessons but were insured to go out out with their parents and they passed in a couple of months. It all depends on how quick you are at learning and how good your insturctor is, i would say give it a try, if you have a few hours worth of lessons a week then you should be okay, and if you don't pass it will still be easier when you come to doing your test again next summer/holidays
Reply 8
It's not just about lesson time though its wether you'll feel confident on the road afterwards... One of my friends insists the best thing that happened to her was failing her test first time as she didn't feel she'd have enough road experience to judge situations in real life driving
Reply 9
Well, my test is exactly 3 months after my 17th Birthday, so thats 14 weeks including theory. I'm also only having 1x1.5hour lesson a week, however I'm doing lots of practise with my parents.

It does all depend on your progress though, I feel that I'm gonna be pretty tight in being ready on time and I (not to blow my own trumpet) am pretty good at driving (lots of experience with karting and a day of rally driving).
Reply 10
What happened to all those places where you just did your lessons solidly for a whole week or two, and took your test at the end? Used to be all the rage.
Reply 11
Original post by EloiseStar
It's not so much weeks but how many lessons, how good you are and your instructors pass rate. I passed after 9 months with a lesson every week (so maybe just under 35 lessons) but I did it first time.

I highly recommend getting an independant instructor, no companies or schemes. He or she will be representing themselves then and do the best to deliver the best service.

See, i'm the complete opposite.

I was with an independent instructor and he was dragging my lessons out, didn't give me good worksheets or anything of the sort.

Now i'm with BSM and my instructor is amazing, so much support and he has a quota to match so they work really hard to get you done your test under 40 hours with first pass rates. I get worksheets and so much advice and i can look at all my progress online and it is so so much better..

To OP.. have you considered Intensive? It's when you spend a whole week doing all driving to pass - Just google "Intensive Driving **your area**"
If someone doesn't mind can you roughly give me a guide on how much these lessons cost ? I'm sure there are various variables, such as how many lessons per week but generally is there roughly a price range ? If not, how much did it cost you to pass :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Midnight1811
If someone doesn't mind can you roughly give me a guide on how much these lessons cost ? I'm sure there are various variables, such as how many lessons per week but generally is there roughly a price range ? If not, how much did it cost you to pass :smile:

1 Hour lessons tend to be in the range of £18-£22 (at least in London). How much it will cost you depends on how quickly you learn, how good your instructor is and how lucky you are on your theory and practical tests.

On topic, my test is this Tuesday which will be about 2 months after my birthday, so yes it is doable. My instructor is really helpful though so make sure you find a good one (possibly through friend's recommendations).
Reply 15
Original post by cooldudeman
is it possible to do this? this is theory included.
i want to get mine in the summer and get it over and done, i wouldn't like it if it carried on until i start uni.

people say chances would be slim.

Try booking the test first.........it won't be easy finding anything for a good few months and cancellations randomly show up in the next week or so.
Its possible, but you would need a lot of free time and learn like 2-4 hours a week, which is fine.
Original post by Midnight1811

Mine were £29 for two hours, but I know some people were paying about that for 1 or 1.5 hour lessons.
Reply 17
If you have 4-5 lessons a week, every week, get your theory done ASAP and pass first time, then yeah, probably possible in 10 weeks.

However....

This is on the basis you are a natural driver. You are probably still unsure about it (so you can't really tell anyway) so you'll only know once you start driving. I had 3 lessons a week between Nov 09 and March 10 (apart from weather cancelling a few) and passed with 27 hours and I'm quite a natural driver.

Also, budget around 1k to pass.
All depends on 2 things:

1) How much spare time you currently have
2) How many hours you're willing to put in per week.

I've just passed my test this week after 8 weeks with A Class. I did actually do all of the lessons in 4 weeks, however didn't pass the test until 3rd time round and there's about a 2 week wait before you can take your next test, so half that time was spent just waiting for the next test to roll on. So whatever timescale you do it in, I'd suggest at least allowing 2 extra weeks in case you don't pass first time, as many people don't.

If it sounds good I'd recommend googling their website. Then go to the intensive courses page and pay for it all in a block (I booked the 35 hours for 692, 62 of which included the first test fee). Pretty sure you could ring them and tell them you wanna go intensive but pay per lesson, not sure though.

Once you've paid you'll be contacted by someone from the office to get an outline of what timescale you're working with and book you an instructor. The instructor will then contact you and you'll work out a schedule. I started with 2 hours a day, 3 days a week, and gradually increased over the 4 weeks and did 3 hours a day for 4 days in the last week. Seemed daunting at first but the 3 hour lessons were perfect; just as I felt like I was starting to get bored, the lesson would end and those 3 hours went really quickly. Doing a few days per week also keeps you from going a bit rusty.

I think you have to pass your theory before you book these lessons if it's gonna be done quickly. Probably worth ringing them up and asking. Even if so, not sure what your current situation is but you could maybe book the theory in 2 weeks and study your arse off for it until then, that's how I did it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
As people have already said its dependent on your ability, how fast you learn ,your confidence and how many hours of driving you are doing as opposed to how many weeks.

I started driving at the beginning of May and Passed Mid October on my second attempt and I was having between 2-4 hrs a week. I think I must have had between 40-45hrs altogether.

You also have to take in consideration the waiting list to take your practical test- I had to wait 4 weeks to retake my driving test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending