The Student Room Group

Do squats make your butt, thighs and hips bigger?

I'm looking to get a more womanly curve to my body, will squats help?
or do they make you lose weight in these areas?

and if they do add weight to make you look curvier, why do men do them? (sorry if it's a stupid question...i'm new to the world of working out)
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Toodles8
I'm looking to get a more womanly curve to my body, will squats help?
or do they make you lose weight in these areas?

From what I gather from friends in the gym etc, it adds toning to your bum and thighs. Any muscle becomes firmer and bigger creating a more womanly shape. However if you aren't blessed with the genetics and there is not much muscle, just fat it could make it smaller.
Reply 2
Yes to line 1.
No to line 2.

Original post by Alex360
However if you aren't blessed with the genetics and there is not much muscle, just fat it could make it smaller.

huh?
Original post by Alex360
From what I gather from friends in the gym etc, it adds toning to your bum and thighs. Any muscle becomes firmer and bigger creating a more womanly shape. However if you aren't blessed with the genetics and there is not much muscle, just fat it could make it smaller.

But still rounder and more aesthetically pleasing. Also you'll find advantages in having a stronger lower body, not least carry stuff.
Reply 4
Original post by tooosh
Yes to line 1.
No to line 2.

huh?

Genetically, not everybody has the same bum, some butt's have more muscle, some have more fat, some are flat. Squats are exercise if you don't have much muscle in the first place it will be difficult/near impossible to build your butt and you will just be burning calories. In the process of burning calories, your butt will most probably shrink as well if there is not much muscle.
Yes, hence the current meme of. "she squats, bro" with pictures of girls with nice bums :cool:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Alex360
Genetically, not everybody has the same bum, some butt's have more muscle, some have more fat, some are flat. Squats are exercise if you don't have much muscle in the first place it will be difficult/near impossible to build your butt and you will just be burning calories. In the process of burning calories, your butt will most probably shrink as well if there is not much muscle.

What's so special about squats that makes it more difficult to build muscle in its target muscle groups than any other exercise for their own muscle groups?
Reply 7
Original post by Alex360

Rubbish, squats will cause whatever muscle you have there to grow.

To the TS, men squat to build muscle mass just like you're aiming for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on how you're doing them. Generally squatting with heavy weights will cause muscle gains. It will also make your quads more shapely and toned which can only be a good thing I guess. However, it also is largely due to genetics, you only have limited control over your fundemental bodyshape: if you're 'straight up and down' exercise isn't going to give you an hourglass figure. I always think it's best to make the most of what you've got though :smile:
Reply 9
Squats has worked miracles for me.now I've rounder and much more fuller figure.
Reply 10
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Depends on how you're doing them. Generally squatting with heavy weights will cause muscle gains. It will also make your quads more shapely and toned which can only be a good thing I guess. However, it also is largely due to genetics, you only have limited control over your fundemental bodyshape: if you're 'straight up and down' exercise isn't going to give you an hourglass figure. I always think it's best to make the most of what you've got though :smile:

are quads the front part of you thighs? and will gaining muscle make them look bigger? sorry if i'm coming across really dumb lol
are quads the front part of you thighs? and will gaining muscle make them look bigger? sorry if i'm coming across really dumb lol

Yeah, the bit of your thigh that sort of bulges when you tense your leg. Gaining muscle will certainly make them look bigger.
Reply 12
Original post by queen-bee
Squats has worked miracles for me.now I've rounder and much more fuller figure.

did you feel the burn in your butt muscles? for some reason i can only feel it in my thighs..i think my form is good so have no idea why :s-smilie:
did you feel the burn in your butt muscles? for some reason i can only feel it in my thighs..i think my form is good so have no idea why :s-smilie:

I felt it in both places.don't worry about it the end result is brilliant.so how long have you been doing it for?
Reply 14
Original post by queen-bee
I felt it in both places.don't worry about it the end result is brilliant.so how long have you been doing it for?

doing the 30 day squat challenge and i'm only on day 3 so far!
doing the 30 day squat challenge and i'm only on day 3 so far!

Nice!don't give up..do you do it alone or do you have a personal trainer?
Kettlebell swings are amazing for that area.

To the dude suggesting some women don't have glutes (ass muscles) LOL

How low do you go?

Do you go to at least parallel to the floor when you squat? (Knees at a right angle, thighs parallel to the floor?

I feel the burn in my arse when I squat heavy. Also try actively tensing your butt cheeks when at heading back up from the bottom of a squat.

Also, as a guy I squat to increase muscle mass and strength in my lower body.
Reply 18
It really depends on your genetics, not everything works for everyone. I work out a lot but my body is the most uncurvaceous ever.
I am under the impression that they tend to make it more shapely and round, I think how large it is is really to do with how much you eat and also your genetics as other people have said. But it can be nice to have a small round bum so it doesn't really matter. :biggrin: :colondollar:

Also anybody know a link to a really great guide on how to do proper squats that they could recommend? Maybe a youtube link or an article?

Quick Reply

Latest