The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

St Mark's Residence

Have anyone ever thought of applying St Mark's?

Seems its quite close to campus from google maps.

:smile:Any advice on it? Is it sociable? If its convenient to go to the uni or not. I'm lazy and dont want to do a commute.:colondollar:

Loadsssss of THX

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EvaL
Have anyone ever thought of applying St Mark's?

Seems its quite close to campus from google maps.

:smile:Any advice on it? Is it sociable? If its convenient to go to the uni or not. I'm lazy and dont want to do a commute.:colondollar:

Loadsssss of THX

Hi Eva,
St. Mark's will be brand new this September, It's incredibly close to campus (just over the road). It's a postgrad site so if you're an under 21 undergrad. it's probably not the best place for you. But if you;'re a postgrad, yes, we hope it will be sociable, there's going to a be a lounge area, a study area and a games/gym area so should be lots of opportunities to meet others.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by accomoffice
Hi Eva,
St. Mark's will be brand new this September, It's incredibly close to campus (just over the road). It's a postgrad site so if you're an under 21 undergrad. it's probably not the best place for you. But if you;'re a postgrad, yes, we hope it will be sociable, there's going to a be a lounge area, a study area and a games/gym area so should be lots of opportunities to meet others.

Thanks. That was very helpful..:smile: I really like the place,good location, decent exterior, Tesco is also within walking distance. I;'m all for it now I guess:smile:. I may start applying these days, when can I get an offer?
Original post by EvaL
Thanks. That was very helpful..:smile: I really like the place,good location, decent exterior, Tesco is also within walking distance. I;'m all for it now I guess:smile:. I may start applying these days, when can I get an offer?

We won't send any offers out to new students until the second half of July.
Reply 4
We won't send any offers out to new students until the second half of July.

Eh..fine. I assume from your reply that I cannot know whether I've got a room reserved for certain until July.. , I'm a little worried if I will be possiblly allocated to other university residences,TwT. Has that ever happened? Or maybe first come first served?
Original post by EvaL
Eh..fine. I assume from your reply that I cannot know whether I've got a room reserved for certain until July.. , I'm a little worried if I will be possiblly allocated to other university residences,TwT. Has that ever happened? Or maybe first come first served?

Because St. Mark's is new, it probably won't be oversubscribed this year (places never are in their first year). So it's reasonably certain that's where you'll be allocated although obviously can't promise at this stage.
Reply 6
Are there studio flats at St. Marks? I'm a postgrad mature student basically looking for a studio flat. I am drawn to Central Village because of their location and studio flat but love the idea of St. Marks being designed for postgrads.
Reply 7
Because St. Mark's is new, it probably won't be oversubscribed this year (places never are in their first year). So it's reasonably certain that's where you'll be allocated although obviously can't promise at this stage.

I've applied for it just now! hopefully I can get a place
Reply 8
Original post by EvaL
I've applied for it just now! hopefully I can get a place

St. Marks backs right off on to Notre Dame Sixth Form College, I currently attend there and it can be quite noisy through the day during lunch and breaks, but if you don't mind the noise then fair enough :P
Original post by LukeyJB
St. Marks backs right off on to Notre Dame Sixth Form College, I currently attend there and it can be quite noisy through the day during lunch and breaks, but if you don't mind the noise then fair enough :P

Isn't Notre Dame down St. Marks Avenue so it's Leeds Met's Woodhouse Flats that are nearest? Our St. Marks is on the other side of St. Marks Street - it's the one that's still under construction at the moment.
Reply 10
Isn't Notre Dame down St. Marks Avenue so it's Leeds Met's Woodhouse Flats that are nearest? Our St. Marks is on the other side of St. Marks Street - it's the one that's still under construction at the moment.

I always assumed that it was the Leeds Uni ones that backed off of St. Marks, my mistake!
Reply 11
Original post by LukeyJB
I always assumed that it was the Leeds Uni ones that backed off of St. Marks, my mistake!

Have you decided which accom to stay?:smile: Seems you are a postgrad this year too!
Reply 12
Original post by EvaL
Have you decided which accom to stay?:smile: Seems you are a postgrad this year too!

I'm actually starting undergrad in September, but all I've done is look at accommodation since September because I'm so excited :P I'm going to The Tannery
Reply 13

This surprises me; I would have thought a brand new ensuite hall would be heavily oversubscribed! I'm glad there are some photos of the bedrooms online now. It doesn't look as cold and uninviting as Central Village, which is nice! :colondollar: When would the tenancy start? My course will start halfway through September, so ideally I'd like to move to Leeds at least a week beforehand.
Original post by Jeykayem
This surprises me; I would have thought a brand new ensuite hall would be heavily oversubscribed! I'm glad there are some photos of the bedrooms online now. It doesn't look as cold and uninviting as Central Village, which is nice! :colondollar: When would the tenancy start? My course will start halfway through September, so ideally I'd like to move to Leeds at least a week beforehand.

The tenancy will start the Saturday before the weekend before Freshers week. I think it's 14th September? Something like that anyway.
Reply 15
The tenancy will start the Saturday before the weekend before Freshers week. I think it's 14th September? Something like that anyway.

My sister viewed St. Marks for me yesterday and she LOVED it! I really wanted a studio flat but apprehensive about CV since I am postgrad.
Original post by vggirl
My sister viewed St. Marks for me yesterday and she LOVED it! I really wanted a studio flat but apprehensive about CV since I am postgrad.

What a nice sister you must have! :smile:
I reckon that, as it's a postgrad residence, there won't be the same problems with shared kitchens that there might be in some undergrad residences. And it's more sociable (and cheaper!) sharing than being in a studio. And the rooms at St. Marks are a really decent size.
Reply 17
Original post by vggirl
Are there studio flats at St. Marks? I'm a postgrad mature student basically looking for a studio flat. I am drawn to Central Village because of their location and studio flat but love the idea of St. Marks being designed for postgrads.

Have you found the answer to this question? I would also love to go to a postgraduates only accommodation but I prefer studio flats, is central village available for postgrad students and does St. Marks have studio flats?
Reply 18
Original post by akenamay
Have you found the answer to this question? I would also love to go to a postgraduates only accommodation but I prefer studio flats, is central village available for postgrad students and does St. Marks have studio flats?

Found my answer - St. Marks is all ensuites (no studios). I struggled with this because I am so use to kind of being on my own. Last week my sister viewed both St. Marks and CV (there are studios in CV) - she got me tons of videos and pics etc. I loved the studio in CV but it is more of an undergrad hall being that I am older than the average undergrad I did not think it would be a good fit for me.

On the other hand St. Marks from what she sent me is beautiful, new, washer and dryers in the kitchen etc. but I would have to resort to being in an ensuite which I have never experienced living in before. I knew that coming from a new country and it being my first time living in the UK, I wanted to be close to the campus as possible at least for my first year. So it was either St. Marks or CV. After switching between both every other day- lol, I applied to St. Marks. I figured it would be a great way to meet new people and not isolate myself so much which I tend to do often and it will be a new experience which I also think would be a good thing for me. It is right there by the campus, new, beautiful and it will be all postgrads like myself.

I hope this information helps. I know how hard it was for me to choose between the studio flat and living with post grads and who knows I have until July 1st to switch again - but hopefully I will stick to STM.:colondollar:
Original post by vggirl
Found my answer - St. Marks is all ensuites (no studios). I struggled with this because I am so use to kind of being on my own. Last week my sister viewed both St. Marks and CV (there are studios in CV) - she got me tons of videos and pics etc. I loved the studio in CV but it is more of an undergrad hall being that I am older than the average undergrad I did not think it would be a good fit for me.

On the other hand St. Marks from what she sent me is beautiful, new, washer and dryers in the kitchen etc. but I would have to resort to being in an ensuite which I have never experienced living in before. I knew that coming from a new country and it being my first time living in the UK, I wanted to be close to the campus as possible at least for my first year. So it was either St. Marks or CV. After switching between both every other day- lol, I applied to St. Marks. I figured it would be a great way to meet new people and not isolate myself so much which I tend to do often and it will be a new experience which I also think would be a good thing for me. It is right there by the campus, new, beautiful and it will be all postgrads like myself.

I hope this information helps. I know how hard it was for me to choose between the studio flat and living with post grads and who knows I have until July 1st to switch again - but hopefully I will stick to STM.:colondollar:

HI, I am thinking of applying here at St Marks Residence. Can you please PM me the photos and videos yours sister took ?

BTW i am coming there to study Molecular Medicine, coming from India. Which course are you coming to and from where ?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest