The Student Room Group

What's a fee waiver?

Basically what it says in the title. What's a fee waiver? For example, if I receive a fee waiver of £3,000 does that mean I pay 3 grand instead of 9 grand? Or do I pay £6,000 ( i.e £9,000 - £3,000) It's for university btw.
Reply 1
I think it means you get £3,000 off your fees.
Reply 2
Really? I am sort of confused because I get told different things all the time. Thanks for the reply anyway.

EDIT: just confirmed that you're correct.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Can someone explain what the point of a fee waiver is? Most people shouldn't have a problem paying the £9000 fee because it is 100% covered under the student loan. Surely it would be better to give us the £3000 (or whatever the waiver is) so we can spend it on our living costs which for most of us is not 100% covered by loans/grants?
Reply 4
Original post by Sinope
Can someone explain what the point of a fee waiver is? Most people shouldn't have a problem paying the £9000 fee because it is 100% covered under the student loan. Surely it would be better to give us the £3000 (or whatever the waiver is) so we can spend it on our living costs which for most of us is not 100% covered by loans/grants?

Some people may not want to take a tuition loan for various reasons. I personally don't want to take out a loan, so I don't have to worry about debt afterwards.
A fee wavier reduces your fees by that amount so in your case it would be £9000 - £3000 = £6000.

Original post by Sinope

Some unis give the choice of say a £1000 bursary grant or £3000 fee wavier. I guess it depends on whether you'd prefer to pay your loan off quicker (as it'd be a reduced amount) or have more to live off. If someone has a high maintenance loan and a lot of parental support for money then I can see why they would prefer a reduced tuition fee.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending