The Student Room Group

How safe am I with condoms alone?

Until now, i've been on the contraceptive pill and me and my boyfriend have ALWAYS used condoms. But i've run out of pills and can't get any more til next week.

We're in a long distance relationship, but right now i'm in the middle of a university holiday so am home and seeing my boyfriend every other night- so obviously we are really wanting to have sex but haven't done so cos we're too scared of accidentally getting pregnant through using condoms alone!

Yes, I know, condoms have a 90-something percent effectiveness rate, but that means they have a certain small but significant ineffectiveness too! Should we rely on condoms alone for a couple of nights or is it too risky? I most definitely do not want a baby and neither does he.

p.s- We know how to use condoms properly, we have been doing so for months.
If the condom did happen to break (which we are lucky enough not yet to have experienced), of course i would get the morning after pill, but really don't want to be in that situation either :frown:
Condoms should be fine. I'm 23, have never used any other form of contraception, and I've never had a baby or been pregnant. :tongue:

Even if the worst should happen and the condom splits (rarely, if ever, imo), then you can get emergency contraception at the local pharmacy, usually.

Go ahead and use condoms. You're being safe and sensible, so it's all good! :smile:
You're fine, I used nothing but condoms for 5 months with no problems. So long as you use them properly and they're in date, you're fine... but I'm really not one for contraceptive paranoia and doubling up. (i'm in a stable monogamous relationship)
Almost all condom failures are down to not using them properly. So if you know what you're doing you should be fine. :smile:

Usual warnings apply - have the right size, make sure they're in date, take them off carefully...

Quick Reply

Latest