The Student Room Group

Which degree for Graduate Med?

Hi guys I dont have A levels and planning on doing an Access course which is a 1 year intensive course which will have its main emphasis on Biology and Chemistry at level 3 so A level standard.

Unis dont accept the one im planning on doing for Medicine so my only option is Graduate entry.

From what Iv'e been reading biomedical sciences is the closest thing to Medicine, how true is this?

I want to do a degree closely related to Medicine so that it gets me prepared, also with the fact that im lacking A levels.

Also with biomedical science I can do a PGCE afterwards as a back up plan which will allow me to become a science teacher.
There is other degrees which im interested in such as social work but im worried if I apply to Grad Medicine and get on the course I'll struggle as I previously did a degree which didnt cover SCIENCE-
what do you think?

What degree would you recommend and also bearing in mind something I can fall back on if Graduate Entry Medicine dosent go to plan?

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by davekhan
Hi guys I dont have A levels and planning on doing an Access course which is a 1 year intensive course which will have its main emphasis on Biology and Chemistry at level 3 so A level standard.

Unis dont accept the one im planning on doing for Medicine so my only option is Graduate entry.

From what Iv'e been reading biomedical sciences is the closest thing to Medicine, how true is this?

I want to do a degree closely related to Medicine so that it gets me prepared, also with the fact that im lacking A levels.

Also with biomedical science I can do a PGCE afterwards as a back up plan which will allow me to become a science teacher.
There is other degrees which im interested in such as social work but im worried if I apply to Grad Medicine and get on the course I'll struggle as I previously did a degree which didnt cover SCIENCE-
what do you think?

What degree would you recommend and also bearing in mind something I can fall back on if Graduate Entry Medicine dosent go to plan?

Thank you

any science degree -go into teaching
radiography?
nursing? NHS funded then graduate?
biomedical- research and lab related

you have a lot of science options
Reply 2

what do you think?

Thank you

Why don't you do an Access course that med schools do accept instead? Your current plan is unnecessarily long. If you're going to do a different degree first, at least do the one with the job at the end you most like (aside from being a doctor).
Reply 3
Original post by Ronove
Why don't you do an Access course that med schools do accept instead? Your current plan is unnecessarily long. If you're going to do a different degree first, at least do the one with the job at the end you most like (aside from being a doctor).

Im looking into access courses but I only have C's in gcses so I cant apply this year, but I am re-sitting gcses this year, so looks like I'll have to apply next year.

and yeah good idea about getting a job at the end of the degree,reason why I thought biomedical science because its all about the body etc and closely related to Medicine, and if I dont get into Medicine as a graduate I can become a teacher instead.
Reply 4
Original post by chapmouse
Please please please be aware that Graduate Entry is tougher to get into than undergraduate entry.
I don't have any figures to hand, but it is a known fact that you are largely unlikely to get into grad entry medicine.
The reason for this is that applicants for Medicine have to have an insurance choice, and if they do not get in first time round, they are all likely to apply for graduate entry medicine, and they're all good.

Other than that, yes, Biomedical Science is probably your best shot at getting into Graduate Entry Medicine. If you want to do Medicine, you will enjoy the biomed course.

Are you a med student? graduate or through the normal route
I applied for Medicine at Oxford, Durham, Nottingham, and Warwick. My insurance was Biomedical science at Warwick, but they rejected me straight away, because they saw that I had an application for Medicine, so they didn't even consider me for biomed. I had interviews at Oxford and Nottingham but got rejected for all of my choices.
I got A*A*A*A in Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, and Biology, respectively, with an additional A* in the EPQ.
Instead of reapplying for Medicine, I decided that if they didn't want me first time round, they never would, so I applied for maths this year, and I have an unconditional offer from Oxford, so I guess i'm happy with that.
I have several friends who are currently medics though, two at UCL and one at St Andrews, if you have any questions about those.

Really?? 8 people from my sixth form applied to medicine, 5 of them also got into Warwick for either Biomed or Biochem (The school was in Warwickshire so being local and very good it was the obvious insurance choice).
I wouldn't have thought having a Medicine application would have been the reason they didn't accept you.

OP, study what you are most drawn to and think you will most love, because that's what you'll get the best grades in and will enable to have a career you enjoy if you don't get into Medicine :smile:
Reply 6
I applied for Medicine at Oxford, Durham, Nottingham, and Warwick. My insurance was Biomedical science at Warwick, but they rejected me straight away, because they saw that I had an application for Medicine, so they didn't even consider me for biomed. I had interviews at Oxford and Nottingham but got rejected for all of my choices.
I got A*A*A*A in Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, and Biology, respectively, with an additional A* in the EPQ.
Instead of reapplying for Medicine, I decided that if they didn't want me first time round, they never would, so I applied for maths this year, and I have an unconditional offer from Oxford, so I guess i'm happy with that.
I have several friends who are currently medics though, two at UCL and one at St Andrews, if you have any questions about those.

WOWWWWWWWWW your grades are immense.

But I take it you weren't that passionate about doing Medicine as you've decided to do Maths.

are you friends in first years?
They said in their rejection that they weren't considering me for biomed because they were considering me for medicine. I was apparently still considered for medicine, but I didn't receive an interview. Oh well :frown:

Hmm... not that it affects me but Warwick only do Graduate Medicine anyway and I assume from your other posts that you applied as an A Level student... perhaps that's why you didn't get an interview?
Reply 8
isn't warwick medicine postgrad?
Reply 9
Haha they're okay. I guess I had a lot of time to think about what I really wanted to get out of life, and the reason I didn't apply for medicine was because that's exactly what I don't want out of life. I guess you might see some bitterness in that, but I think I could probably get into a medical school if I had reapplied this year, I don't know.
I really like maths, and I really like the Oxford course. In addition, my interview for Maths felt a lot more natural than my interview for Medicine.
For those that are interested, I'm spending this year tutoring maths in my local high school, as well as doing a few sessions at my Sixth Form. In my spare time, I'm just learning the maths modules I didn't get the opportunity to at Sixth Form, including D2 (which covers game theory) and M4 and M5

Why are you lying? warwick only does postgraduate and unless youre silly and didn't do your research, you wouldn't know that.
Also, on another thread you're doing 8 AS exams this summer :/

Hmmmm........
Just go do A levels instead. Why did you not consider this in the first place?

Cheaper, 5 year is less competetive, shorter, easier.
Reply 11
Original post by RollerBall
Just go do A levels instead. Why did you not consider this in the first place?

Cheaper, 5 year is less competetive, shorter, easier.

When I left 6th form I did one year of ALevels, bio chem and sociology but I failed with three U's but I was REALLY ILL.
Unis do accept extenuating circumstances but they require only a few margins of there required grades, so like instead of three A's they'd want 2 A's and one B. But I failed badly

They also require you to do A levels within 2 years, so bummer :frown:
When I left 6th form I did one year of ALevels, bio chem and sociology but I failed with three U's but I was REALLY ILL.
Unis do accept extenuating circumstances but they require only a few margins of there required grades, so like instead of three A's they'd want 2 A's and one B. But I failed badly

You never passed anything, you don't have anything to declare. Just go back to college and sit Bio/Chem/Something in two years like a normal student. You can opt to explain the year out with illness in your reference/cover letter or not but you can expect to ask about it at interview.

I never declared my U in a maths module (I sat an additional one, so had the choice of my S1 or M1 grade, I got an A in stats so then didn't care about my mechanics module and got a U) because I had nothing to declare. Email some universities admissions depts but I'm pretty sure you'd be okay if you went to an independent college and got AAA in bio/chem/anything over two years.
Reply 13

Please do what Rollerball has told you to do.

You seem a bit confused. There are some unis that will allow you to sit A-levels now and ignore the year you failed (if they even learn about it), especially since you were ill. The two-year rule is mainly to stop people resitting a unit or two after the A2 summer exams. Unis expect regular levels of moderate illness to make you slip in one or two grades where it happens somewhere down the line during sixth form, ie near your final exams where you've already set yourself a good foundation in Year 12, hence the AAB/ABB expectation. If your illness meant that your first attempt at Year 12 was a write-off then they will take that into account. Just email places and explain and see what they say.

PS And please actually consider doing A-levels. Your current plan is genuinely ridiculous in terms of how much longer and more difficult you seem to be trying to make it for yourself.
Reply 14
Original post by RollerBall
You never passed anything, you don't have anything to declare. Just go back to college and sit Bio/Chem/Something in two years like a normal student. You can opt to explain the year out with illness in your reference/cover letter or not but you can expect to ask about it at interview.

I never declared my U in a maths module (I sat an additional one, so had the choice of my S1 or M1 grade, I got an A in stats so then didn't care about my mechanics module and got a U) because I had nothing to declare. Email some universities admissions depts but I'm pretty sure you'd be okay if you went to an independent college and got AAA in bio/chem/anything over two years.

I will ring round unis and see what they say and I'll let you know what they say :smile:

But dont you have to declare any failed exams etc, im sure ive read it on some uni websites, and they say if they find out later, they will remove application :/ then I dont want it to be a waste of 2 years.
Also I have a crap GCSE profile a couple of B's and rest c's?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Ronove
Please do what Rollerball has told you to do.

You seem a bit confused. There are some unis that will allow you to sit A-levels now and ignore the year you failed (if they even learn about it), especially since you were ill. The two-year rule is mainly to stop people resitting a unit or two after the A2 summer exams. Unis expect regular levels of moderate illness to make you slip in one or two grades where it happens somewhere down the line during sixth form, ie near your final exams where you've already set yourself a good foundation in Year 12, hence the AAB/ABB expectation. If your illness meant that your first attempt at Year 12 was a write-off then they will take that into account. Just email places and explain and see what they say.

PS And please actually consider doing A-levels. Your current plan is genuinely ridiculous in terms of how much longer and more difficult you seem to be trying to make it for yourself.

Im going to have a ring around unis and see.
My gcses arent great either thats why im in a pretty rubbish position, thats why im thinking of the longer route, but If I can get in through Alevels thats great.

are you a med student?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Im going to have a ring around unis and see.
My gcses arent great either thats why im in a pretty rubbish position, thats why im thinking of the longer route, but If I can get in through Alevels thats great.

are you a med student?

Nope but I'm hoping to start in September 2014 (but am not the age that would suggest I am).
Reply 17
Original post by Ronove
Nope but I'm hoping to start in September 2014 (but am not the age that would suggest I am).

how old are you? are you a graduate or through A levels
Reply 18
how old are you? are you a graduate or through A levels

I have been to uni but left at the end of my penultimate year for a variety of reasons. I'll be applying on the back of my school results, though in Denmark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending