The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Ahem. Magdalen? :rolleyes:

I'm not at Oxbridge, I'm talking about people from my sixth form who have offers there, sorry for being unclear! :smile:
Original post by ttreb
I know here on TSR that going against Oxbridge is a battle already lost.

I just want to see the general perception of Oxbridge students. Do you think they are prejudice upon us who do not attend?

I imagine some do, but you get people like that everywhere.

There's no doubting that a lot of Oxford and Cambridge students come from highly privileged backgrounds, and those kind of backgrounds are (I suppose) more likely to produce individuals who look down on others because those are the kind of people at the 'top'.

You've also got to remember that 18-21 year olds are (even the ones at Oxford and Cambridge) not the brighest of folk and say and do things that are very immature and they later regret.

You'll get just as many students who think they're superior because they go to Oxford/Cambridge or because they've got money as you do at other elite universities with a high percentage of privileged students, like UCL and LSE.

The vast majority will be alright.
Not at all. It's not that people look down on others because they've gotten into Oxbridge, it's just the sad fact that people who look down on others are more likely to apply and get in by force of numbers. Sure plenty of people from Oxford might look down on people at lesser institutions such as Cambridge, but they would have looked down on people vice versa if it had been the other way round :yep:

qm.gifqm.gif
Original post by amineamine2
It was a joke you moron. Some people are clearly blind to sarcasm.

qm.gifWhat if I told you that Sarcasm doesn't work on the internet?
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Not at all. It's not that people look down on others because they've gotten into Oxbridge, it's just the sad fact that people who look down on others are more likely to apply and get in by force of numbers. Sure plenty of people from Oxford might look down on people at lesser institutions such as Cambridge, but they would have looked down on people vice versa if it had been the other way round :yep:

qm.gifqm.gif

qm.gifWhat if I told you that Sarcasm doesn't work on the internet?

Then I would dispute you. It has worked plenty of time.
Original post by cheesypuff
What is the point of this thread really.

I could argue that people like Einstein, Marie Curie, Kim Ung Yong and Paul Allen (worth 14 billion dollars and scored a perfect 1600 on the SAT) look down on people who"only went to oxbridge" despite never going there.

The point is, I think we should treat others like equals as einstein has quoted

“I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university.”

And

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

I don't know about the others, but Einstein was such a smart man, I've read enough about him to know he wouldn't have judged people according to which university they attend, but to be fair, when he was young he tried quite hard to get into some prestigious ones and was rejected for quite a while, which rankled with him.
Original post by amineamine2
Then I would dispute you. It has worked plenty of time.

Hah sarcasm. Eye sea watt yew deed dare. :h:
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Why is everyone getting so excited about a bunch of buildings surrounded by fields on the outskirts of Coventry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As compared with a bunch of buildings surrounded by rivers on the outskirts of Cowley?
I know, putting Stanford at 15th, c'mon! Essentially it's just a complex of criteria that come out with a ranking that doesn't chime with perceived reality. I also don't really think Bristol ranks above Warwick as a generality, putting course-specifics to one side.

True. Some people will look at the rankings though and say "ooh, my cousin is studying at the world's fourth best university, omg it's even better than Oxford" etc.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Hah sarcasm. Eye sea watt yew deed dare. :h:

LOL I get your point.
Reply 69
This thread is putting all Oxbridge students in one boat. They are all individuals with their own life experience, some may be snobby but that doesn't mean all are.

My brother goes to Oxford and we come from a very low income background, there is no way he would be a snob. He's down to earth and when he's back he even tutors one of my friends doing similar subjects for free sometimes as he enjoys what he does.

Just because you're an Oxbridge student it does not mean you gain a generic personality from the university.
Original post by nulli tertius
As compared with a bunch of buildings surrounded by rivers on the outskirts of Cowley?

It's the Fenland Poly for you then? A bunch of crumbling former church property surrounded by bleak windswept wastelands and a town centre so tiny that if you blink you miss it?
It's the Fenland Poly for you then? A bunch of crumbling former church property surrounded by bleak windswept wastelands and a town centre so tiny that if you blink you miss it?

Have you any idea just how remote Madingley Hall actually is? When they set up an extra-mural studies department, the wall they had in mind was Hadrian's.
Original post by nulli tertius
Have you any idea just how remote Madingley Hall actually is? When they set up an extra-mural studies department, the wall they had in mind was Hadrian's.

Lol.

Have you seen that show about Cambridgeshire police, called "cop squad" or something? Very funny to watch the good burghers of Cambridge desport themselves. Many of them appear to be on drugs or worse. Hardly a superior being amongst them afaict.
I don't know about the others, but Einstein was such a smart man, I've read enough about him to know he wouldn't have judged people according to which university they attend, but to be fair, when he was young he tried quite hard to get into some prestigious ones and was rejected for quite a while, which rankled with him.

Yes exactly, Einstein would have treated everyone as equals regardless of their educational background
I can understand why Cambridge students would look down, but why Oxford, when they are ranked lower than UCL in international rankings? :tongue:
Original post by .Username.
I can understand why Cambridge students would look down, but why Oxford, when they are ranked lower than UCL in international rankings? :tongue:

We just do our best to pretend those rankings don't mean much to us. :laugh:
Original post by .Username.

You could equally say the opposite based on the THE rankings where Oxford is 2nd in the world and Cambridge is 7th :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
You could equally say the opposite based on the THE rankings where Oxford is 2nd in the world and Cambridge is 7th :wink:

That's the popular one in these parts. :rolleyes:
That's the popular one in these parts. :rolleyes:

Haha I personally feel rankings are a bit pointless - you can make almost any uni better than another by tweaking the methodology. I don't get this fixation with comparing how 'good' one university is to another....
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by tooambitious
Definitely. I judge all of you dimwits. :facepalm2:

You aren't even a student :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending