The Student Room Group

Occupational therapy vs health and social care degree

Hi at the moment im doing a health and social care BTEC and looking at going to university afterwards but not sure if i should do occupational therapy or health and social care degree. I am looking for a course that doesn't include exams as i do very badly in them. can anyone suggest which one is better and also the university that is good ?
Reply 1
If you want to become an OT, then a degree in Occupational Therapy would be the way to go, as it is career-specific and leads to registration. However, a health and social care degree might require further training as it doesn't lead to registration as a health care professional.

OT degrees involve a range of placements in order to broaden your experiences and skills, whereas health and social care degrees tend not to include as many placements so you would often have to organise them for yourself. However, I know the health and social care degree at Nottingham Trent offers some work-based modules.

Have you looked into specific careers you may be interested in? Take a look at this website; it gives info about jobs, what they entail and what qualifications and experience you'll need for them: https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobfamily/Pages/default.aspx

Do your research into careers, universities and courses, and weigh up the pros and cons of each. Make sure you look at course content and how you would be assessed, i.e. through coursework, reports, exams, placement observation etc.

Maybe you could arrange an appointment with a careers adviser? They'll help you go through your options and you can see what's best suited to you.

Good luck! Here if you need any help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest