The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bananarama2
Yes, but the way GCSEs are taught means they wouldn't have a clue what a function was even if they do stuff related to them....

Ah ok. See in France we study these things rather than dropping coins off the Eiffel tower. :teehee:
Reply 1141
Original post by Felix Felicis
Some more (*) problems for people who want them:

Problem 172*

Is r=0100r!\displaystyle\prod_{r=0}^{100} r! a perfect square? If not, could we remove one of the factorials to make it a perfect square?

Solution 172*

No, it is not a perfect square. How? Well, I can compute 100! in my mind. (like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b2jOcKI798)

Taking the premise of 100! is not a perfect square.
A perfect square for factorials can be defined as below:

a!×a!=(a!)2 a! \times a! = (a!)^2

100!×99!×98!...×1! 100! \times 99! \times 98! ... \times 1!

Note that: 100!=100×99! 100! = 100 \times 99!

So 100!×99! 100! \times 99! = 100×99!×99! 100 \times 99! \times 99!

As a!×a!=(a!)2 a! \times a! = (a!)^2 , that means:

99!×99!=(99!)2 99! \times 99! = (99!)^2 which is a perfect square.

We can continue this procedure mechanically by pairing up the rest of the factorials so we have:

(100×(99!)2)×(98×(97!)2)×(96×(95!)2)...×(2×(1!)2) (100 \times (99!)^2) \times (98 \times (97!)^2) \times (96 \times (95!)^2)... \times (2 \times (1!)^2)

Rearranging these (there are no minus terms or chicanery occurring here)

(100×98×96×94...×2)×((99!)2×(97!)2×(95!)2×...(1!)2) (100 \times 98 \times 96 \times 94... \times 2) \times ((99!)^2 \times (97!)^2 \times (95!)^2 \times... (1!)^2)

Using the LHS, we have: 2(1)(×2(2)×2(3)×2(4)...×2(50)) 2(1) (\times 2(2) \times 2(3) \times 2(4) ... \times 2(50))

So LHS of the equation is simply:
Unparseable latex formula:

2^5^0 \times 50!

We know that
Unparseable latex formula:

\sqrt {2^5^0}

is a perfect square (I think this is what you could call trivial), by removing 50! 50! , we can actually end up with the initial result forming a perfect square, such that:

r=0100r!(50!)\displaystyle\prod_{r=0}^{100} r! - (50!) = x2 x^2
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1142
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Ah ok. See in France we study these things rather than dropping coins off the Eiffel tower. :teehee:

PRSOM. :lol:

In all fairness though, Lagrange would be quite content with his question. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)

That question was off you first year dynamics and relativity course smart alec :wink:
Original post by Jkn
Lightweight, you can get it form applying integration by parts to the other one by integrating ln(x)\ln(x) (and differentiating the denominator) and then evaluating a fairly trivial other part with a tanx substitution :wink:

Yeah but that took me like an hour and half to think of on the problem LotF set earlier :lol:
Original post by DJMayes
Hyperbolics are more fun. :tongue:

(What answer do you get with that sub though?)

The same :smile:
Reply 1146
Original post by DJMayes
Let x3=sinh2u x^3 = sinh^2u

3x2 dx=2sinhucoshu du 3x^2 \ dx = 2sinhucoshu \ du

I=23sinh3ucosh2u dx \Rightarrow I = \frac{2}{3} \int sinh^3ucosh^2u \ dx

=23sinhu(cosh2u1)cosh2u dx = \frac{2}{3} \int sinhu(cosh^2u-1)cosh^2u \ dx

=23sinhucosh4usinhucosh2u dx = \frac{2}{3} \int sinhucosh^4u - sinhucosh^2u \ dx

==23[15cosh5u13cosh3u] = = \frac{2}{3} [ \frac{1}{5}cosh^5u -\frac{1}{3}cosh^3u ]

x = 0 so u = 0, coshu = 1, x = 2 so coshu = 3

Finally plugging those in I get 1192/45, although this isn't really a nice answer...
Hopefully now you will follow me to the algebraic promised land...

Solution 178 (2)

02((1+x3)x2x2)1+x3dx=[215(1+x3)5229(1+x3)32]02=119245 \displaystyle \int_0^2 ((1+x^3)x^2-x^2)\sqrt{1+x^3} dx = \left[\frac{2}{15} (1+x^3)^{\frac{5}{2}} -\frac{2}{9} (1+x^3)^{\frac{3}{2}} \right]_0^2 =\frac{1192}{45} \ \square :wink:
Reply 1147
Give me 2-3 months, and I'll be able to do those integrals which look so palatable. :frown:
Reply 1148
That question was off you first year dynamics and relativity course smart alec :wink:

Ooo I'm interested again :tongue:

I got an answer but I think it was wrong.. I might type it up later

Spoiler

Original post by Felix Felicis
Yeah but that took me like an hour and half to think of on the problem LotF set earlier :lol:
When was it set? :eek:
Original post by Zakee
PRSOM. :lol:

In all fairness though, Lagrange would be quite content with his question. :wink:

I like the blase way physics questions are given. The sort of "a washing machine can be powered by a solar umbrella, calculate the rate of loss of mass of the sun." type questions :tongue:
Original post by Jkn

Spoiler

Problem 132 xD Also, a few other integrals were set earlier as well but hey ho, nothing wrong with other people attempting them :biggrin:
Original post by Zakee
Solution 172*

No, it is not a perfect square. How? Well, I can compute 100! in my mind.

I like all of your solution except this bit - even a computation of the number doesn't prove it isn't not a perfect square. I think a better way of doing this would be to count the number of a specific prime in your solution. For example, the number of 47's. From 47 to 100, we get 54 lots of 47. Also, we have another 47 included in each number between 94 and 100, giving another 7 lots of 47. This gives an odd number of 47's, and so it isn't a perfect square as you cannot divide the amounts of 47 equally amongst the two square factors.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkn

Spoiler

I did it differently to the lecture notes, but got the same answer. I didn't use dodgy limited calculus :wink:

If you just want the direction you just need two lines of working. But you need the moment of inertia.
Reply 1153
I like the blase way physics questions are given. The sort of "a washing machine can be powered by a solar umbrella, calculate the rate of loss of mass of the sun." type questions :tongue:

My favorite is:

"Jimmy is spinning around on the base of cylindrical chamber such that he is in contact with the base and well as the cylindrical wall. He is just on the point of lifting and the cylinder has a radius of 10m, and his mass is 60kg. Given an arbitrary compact gauge group, does a non-trivial quantum Yang-Mills theory with a finite mass gap exist?"
Reply 1154
Original post by DJMayes
I like all of your solution except this bit - even a computation of the number doesn't prove it isn't not a perfect square. I think a better way of doing this would be to count the number of a specific prime in your solution. For example, the number of 47's. From 47 to 100, we get 54 lots of 47. Also, we have another 47 included in each number between 94 and 100, giving another 7 lots of 47. This gives an odd number of 47's, and so it isn't a perfect square as you cannot divide the amounts of 47 equally amongst the two square factors.

That is true. I was sort of joking about the computation part that I had calculated 100! x 99! x 98! x 97!... (If I did, then well, I might as well quit school now and just end up replacing the TI-84 plus).

However, I didn't think of doing what you did as I just made an assumption (which I'm aware is scandalous). I'm actually fond of viewing it the way that you've shown Cheers man. :smile:

I guess it's just my innate laziness which prevents me from being rigorous enough -sighs-. I should probably quit Mathematics and end up doing poetry. :nopity:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zakee
That is true. I was sort of joking about the computation part that I had calculated 100! x 99! x 98! x 97!... (If I did, then well, I might as well quit school now and just end up replacing the TI-84 plus).

However, I didn't think of doing what you did as I just made an assumption (which I'm aware is scandalous). I'm actually fond of viewing it the way that you've shown Cheers man. :smile:

You just knew it was't square given the rest of questions :tongue:
Reply 1156
You just knew it was't square given the rest of questions :tongue:

:tongue:
HA when und sees how much updating needs to be done he's going to be like:

Spoiler

Reply 1158

Spoiler

I think that his fury will be more directed towards the endless questions which have been mislabeled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4w4wGJjuYg
(edited 10 years ago)

Spoiler

He'll probably return with a new account :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest