The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Back to the topic:

Problem 205/ **

At the age of three, Zakee begins to learn how to count, and is faced with a problem in his counting book. He believes it is just a trivial problem, after all, he is only three years of age, and so looks at it and tries to solve it. What was the outcome of his attempts? You decide (see below):

Sequence of Real numbers:

x0,x1,,xn, x_0, x_1,\ldots, x_n,\ldots

accede to these mathematical conditions

1=x0x1xn1 = x_{0}\leq x_{1}\leq\cdots\leq x_{n}\leq\cdots

Additionally, let y1,y2,,yn,y_{1}, y_{2},\ldots, y_n,\ldots be defined as:

yn=k=1n1xk1xkxk y_n =\sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1-\frac{x_{k-1}}{x_{k}}}{\sqrt{x_k}}

Prove that:

0yn<2 0\leq y_n < 2 FOR ALL n n

Edit: Question amended due to erratum.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1321
Original post by Zakee
Back to the topic:

Problem 205/ **
Prove that:

0yn<2 0\leq y_n < 2

Let xi=1 ix_i=1 \ \forall i,

yn=n\Rightarrow y_n = n

let n be greater that 2... ?
Reply 1322
Original post by Jkn
Let xi=1 ix_i=1 \ \forall i,

yn=n\Rightarrow y_n = n

let n be greater that 2... ?

I was looking at your solution and thought to myself, either Jkn is a prodigious genius with a bajillion IQ points, or I have made a trivial error in my question. Both are correct. :wink:

Y'may want to redo your solution.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zakee

Spoiler

You want to make the sequence xnx_{n} strictly increasing for all nn which are greater than a given number NN. Otherwise yny_{n} tends to \infty as nn\to \infty
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zakee
I was looking at your solution and thought to myself, either Jkn is a prodigious genius with a bajillion IQ points, or I have made a trivial error in my question. Both are correct. :wink:

I may be being thick again, but doesn't his point still stand? You can still choose n to be greater than 2 if x_i=1....
Reply 1325
Original post by Zakee

Hahhaaha :lol: I wasn't offering a solution, merely pointing out an error :lol:

The error is either in your yny_n (notice how quickly it can be simplified, perhaps you are missing a rogue square terms) or in the definition of the sequence. Perhaps strictly increasing integers? Something that forces xix_i to tend to infinity is a necessary (though not sufficient) condition for yny_n to converge. i.e. we require that each term in the series tends to zero as the underlying parameter approach infinity. :tongue:

Edit: Just checked your latex and say that that was an xk1x_{k-1} rather than an xk1x_k -1 (would be clearer with displaystyle!) Though you would still need a strict increase for some infinite set of xix_i (as Mladenov has said) :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1326
Original post by Jkn
Hahhaaha :lol: I wasn't offering a solution, merely pointing out an error :lol:

The error is either in your yny_n (notice how quickly it can be simplified, perhaps you are missing a rogue square terms) or in the definition of the sequence. Perhaps strictly increasing integers? Something that forces xix_i to tend to infinity is a necessary (though not sufficient) condition for yny_n to converge. i.e. we require that each term in the series tends to zero as the underlying parameter approach infinity. :tongue:

Edit: Just checked your latex and say that that was an xk1x_{k-1} rather than an xk1x_k -1 (would be clearer with displaystyle!) Though you would still need a strict increase for some infinite set of xix_i (as Mladenov has said) :smile:

Sorry, my Latex abilities are awful, and I have an exam tomorrow. I rushed with writing up the question. My bad, if you can understand what I was trying to say, then I hope you can do it. If not, I will refine the post tomorrow. Sorry for the problem caused.
Reply 1327
Original post by Zakee
Sorry, my Latex abilities are awful, and I have an exam tomorrow. I rushed with writing up the question. My bad, if you can understand what I was trying to say, then I hope you can do it. If not, I will refine the post tomorrow. Sorry for the problem caused.

No worries :smile:

Tbf, I should stop coming on here! Too many exams! :lol:

Luckily now finished my English and Spanish but now I've got Decision and Physics and **** to worry about :frown: Not to mention STEP! Drownnninnnnggggg! :frown:
Reply 1328
Original post by Jkn
No worries :smile:

Tbf, I should stop coming on here! Too many exams! :lol:

Luckily now finished my English and Spanish but now I've got Decision and Physics and **** to worry about :frown: Not to mention STEP! Drownnninnnnggggg! :frown:

I've got Physics tomorrow and half the syllabus to learn. :colonhash:. I'm off man, take care. x_x
Reply 1329
Original post by Zakee
I've got Physics tomorrow and half the syllabus to learn. :colonhash:. I'm off man, take care. x_x

****, I've got my physics next week and haven't finished the syllabus either :colondollar: The answers to most questions can be figured out form the context though :lol: On the past paper I tried though there were all of these questions asking tricky mathematical things where they, in fact, want you to count squares on a graph, fml I always end up whipping out the calculus and taking longer than intended! :frown:

Good luck!
Reply 1330
Original post by Jkn
****, I've got my physics next week and haven't finished the syllabus either :colondollar: The answers to most questions can be figured out form the context though :lol: On the past paper I tried though there were all of these questions asking tricky mathematical things where they, in fact, want you to count squares on a graph, fml I always end up whipping out the calculus and taking longer than intended! :frown:

Good luck!

Precisely man. One of them was to do with Hooke's law, and I worked out the area of the graph by approximation through integrals. Instead they wanted counting squares. Damn Physics exams. :wink:
Original post by Zakee

I'll join that club as well :frown:
Original post by metaltron
I'll join that club as well :frown:

Same o_O
I'm not impressed guys :l
Reply 1334
Original post by bananarama2

I actually never ended up revising in the end. Damn. :frown:

Yeah, physics is fun as well though! Just a bit late to start revising...
Well, I see what kind of problems people prefer.

Problem 206*

Evaluate 0πln(1+acosx)cosxdx\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{\ln(1+a\cos x)}{\cos x} \, dx, where a<1|a| <1.

Problem 207**

Let αi\alpha_{i}, i{1,,k}i \in \{1,\cdots,k\} be numbers such that for any two sequences (an)n1(a_{n})_{n \ge1} and (bn)n1(b_{n})_{n\ge 1}, which satisfy the relation bn=an+i=1kαiani\displaystyle b_{n}=a_{n}+\sum_{i=1}^{k} \alpha_{i}a_{n-i}, for all n>kn>k, from the convergence of (bn)n1(b_{n})_{n\ge 1} follows the convergence of (an)n1(a_{n})_{n \ge1}. Prove that all the roots of the polynomial xk+i=1kαixki\displaystyle x^{k}+ \sum_{i=1}^{k} \alpha_{i}x^{k-i} have absolute values which are less than 11.

Problem 208***

Let f:[a,b]Rf : [a,b] \to \mathbb{R} be C2C^{2}, and suppose that 0<h<ba2\displaystyle 0<h<\frac{b-a}{2}. Then, abf(x)pdx2php1(ba)abf(x)pdx+22phpabf(x)pdx\displaystyle \int_{a}^{b} |f'(x)|^{p}dx \le 2^{p}h^{p-1}(b-a)\int_{a}^{b}|f''(x)|^{p}dx+ \frac{2^{2p}}{h^{p}}\int_{a}^{b}|f(x)|^{p}dx (p>1)(p>1).
Solution 206

I(a)=0πln(1+acosx)cosxdx\displaystyle I(a)= \int_0^{\pi} \frac{\ln (1+a \cos x )}{\cos x}dx

dIda=0π11+acosxdx\displaystyle \frac{dI}{da} = \int_0^{\pi} \frac{1}{1+a \cos x} dx

Weierstrass sub http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_substitution

=011+a1t21+t22dt1+t2\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{1+a \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}} \frac{2 dt}{1+t^2}

=01(1+t2)+a(1t2)2dt\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{(1+t^2)+a (1-t^2) } 2dt

=01(1a)t2+(1+a)2dt\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{ (1-a)t^2 +(1+a) } 2dt

=[2arctan1aa+1t(1+a)(1a)]0\displaystyle = \left[ -\frac{2 \arctan\sqrt{\frac{1-a}{a+1}}t}{\sqrt{(1+a)(1-a)}} \right]_0^\infty

=π(1a)(1+a) \displaystyle = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{(1-a)(1+a)}}

=π1a2 \displaystyle = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{1-a^2} }

I=πarcsin(a)+c \displaystyle I = \pi \arcsin (a) +c a=0 I=0 C=0

I=πarcsin(a) \displaystyle I = \pi \arcsin (a) I'm unconvinced.
(edited 10 years ago)

Spoiler

Well done.

Problem 209*

Evaluate 0A1cosa1x++Akcosakxxdx\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{A_{1}\cos a_{1}x + \cdots + A_{k}\cos a_{k}x}{x}dx when ai>0a_{i}>0 for all i{1,2,,k}i \in \{1,2, \cdots,k \} and A1++Ak=0A_{1}+\cdots+A_{k}=0.

Problem 210**

Find 01(1xα)(1xβ)(1x)lnxdx\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{(1-x^{\alpha})(1-x^{\beta})}{(1-x)\ln x} \, dx, for α,β>1\alpha, \beta >-1 and α+β>1\alpha+\beta >-1.
Reply 1339
Original post by Mladenov

Problem 210**

Find 01(1xα)(1xβ)(1x)lnxdx\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \frac{(1-x^{\alpha})(1-x^{\beta})}{(1-x)\ln x} \, dx, for α,β>1\alpha, \beta >-1 and α+β>1\alpha+\beta >-1.

Solution 210

Firstly, note that:

1xα1x=i=0α1xi \frac{1-x^{\alpha}}{1-x} = \sum_{i=0}^{\alpha -1} x^i

When α=0 \alpha = 0 , then we just use the infinite expansion of (1+x)1 (1+x)^{-1} which is allowed since x only varies between 0 to 1 in the integral.

Unparseable latex formula:

[br][br]\Rightarrow I = \displaystyle\int_0^1 \frac{(1-x^{\alpha})(1-x^{\beta})}{(1-x) \ln x}\ dx = \displaystyle\int_0^1 \frac{(1-x^{\alpha})}{\ln x} \displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{\beta -1} x^i \ dx [br][br]\beginaligned I = \displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{\beta -1} \displaystyle\int_0^1 \frac{(1-x^{\alpha})}{\ln x} x^i \ dx[br][br]\beginaligned I = \displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{\beta -1} \displaystyle\int_0^1 \frac{(x^i-x^{\alpha +i})}{\ln x} \ dx[br]

Now, just consider the integral, for an arbitrary value of i, and let, x=et x = e^t

01(xixα+i)lnx dx=0e(i+1)te(α+i+1)tt dt[br][br]\displaystyle\int_0^1 \frac{(x^i-x^{\alpha +i})}{\ln x} \ dx = \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^0 \frac {e^{(i+1)t}- e^{(\alpha + i+1)t}}{t} \ dt[br][br]

Here, notice that,

α+i+1i+1ety dy=e(i+1)te(α+i+1)tt[br][br] \displaystyle \int_{\alpha+i+1}^{i+1} e^{ty}\ dy = \frac{e^{(i+1)t}- e^{(\alpha + i+1)t}}{t}[br][br]

So,

\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^0 \frac {e^{(i+1)t}- e^{(\alpha + i+1)t}}{t} \ dt = \displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^0 \displaystyle\int_{\alpha+i+1}^{i+1} e^{ty}\ dy\ dt = \displaystyle\int_{\alpha+i+1}^{i+1} \displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^0 e^{ty}\ dt\ dy[br][br]\Rightarrow \displaystyle\int_{\alpha+i+1}^{i+1} \displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^0 e^{ty}\ dt\ dy = \displaystyle\int_{\alpha+i+1}^{i+1} \frac{1}{y} \ dy = \ln {(\frac{i+1}{\alpha+i+1})}[br][br]\Rightarow \displaystyle\int_0^1 \frac{(x^i-x^{\alpha +i})}{\ln x} \ dx = \ln {(\frac{i+1}{\alpha+i+1})}[br][br]

Now, substituting this into the original integral,

[br][br]\beginaligned I = \displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{\beta -1} \displaystyle\int_0^1 \frac{(x^i-x^{\alpha +i})}{\ln x} \ dx = \displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{\beta -1} \ln {(\frac{i+1}{\alpha+i+1})}[br][br][br]\beginaligned I = \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{\beta} \ln {(\frac{i}{\alpha+i})}[br][br][br]\beginaligned I = \displaystyle \ln {\frac{\beta !}{(\alpha+1)...(\alpha+ \beta)}}[br][br][br]\beginaligned I = - \ln \binom{\alpha+\beta}{\alpha}[br]

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest