The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jkn

That each definite integral takes a value that is in that set! Don't know why everyone's always outraged with use of what is probably bad notation :lol: At A-Level we obviously aren't taught about set theory but we are told we can use \in to say something is part of a set of numbers. What's so wrong about what I wrote that means you cannot understand it? :tongue:

I guessed what your intended meaning was. However, if somebody communicated to you in English and kept using "an propar grammer", then you would probably feel the same. The most important part of studying independently is to always make sure you correctly understand the things that you have learnt. For if you don't do so, then you risk to become confused for a long time.

The elements in R\mathbb{R} do not have the form (x,y)(x,y). If you meant for xx and yy to be real numbers, then you should have omitted the brackets and instead said x,yRx,y \in \mathbb{R}. If you wanted the brackets, then you could have used the notation (x,y)R2(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2, referring to a tuple. What you wrote could also be interpreted as an open interval, in which case (x,y)R(x,y) \subset \mathbb{R}; a subset of the real numbers and not a member.

Original post by Jkn

Why?

Ideally, you would want to focus entirely within the boundaries of the exam. If you keep doing questions that require different methods (i.e. Laplace transforms) until the last day, then you will be inclined to think about those first. To quote Abraham Maslow, to a man who possesses a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.
Reply 1361
Original post by Mladenov
Actually, apart from Poe, Ayn Rand is the only writer whom books I can enjoy.

Dostoevsky all the way! Tolstoy or Hugo too, for that matter.

Lol, I used to worship Ayn Rand in Grade 11. I used to read Atlas Shrugged in class during Revision.
But then, man, well, now, I disagree strongly with practically everything she promulgates.
Original post by jack.hadamard
I guessed what your intended meaning was. However, if somebody communicated to you in English and kept using "an propar grammer", then you would probably feel the same. The most important part of studying independently is to always make sure you correctly understand the things that you have learnt. For if you don't do so, then you risk to become confused for a long time.

The elements in R\mathbb{R} do not have the form (x,y)(x,y). If you meant for xx and yy to be real numbers, then you should have omitted the brackets and instead said x,yRx,y \in \mathbb{R}. If you wanted the brackets, then you could have used the notation (x,y)R2(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2, referring to a tuple. What you wrote could also be interpreted as an open interval, in which case (x,y)R(x,y) \subset \mathbb{R}; a subset of the real numbers and not a member.

He could have meant a Dedekind cut, and so aptly the pair is in R\mathbb R :tongue: :wink: (Although somehow the integrals have to represent sets of rationals. Lebesgue integration anyone?)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1363
I think this might be quite a nice one (hopefully :awesome:)

Problem 213 **/***

By considering an appropriate contour integral of f(z)=seczz5f(z)=\dfrac{\sec z}{z^5} and its residues, show that n=0(1)n(2n+1)5=5π51536 \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \dfrac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)^5} = \dfrac{5 \pi^5}{1536}
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1364
Actually, apart from Poe, Ayn Rand is the only writer whom books I can enjoy.

By the way, Jkn, do you have an elegant, and not arduous, solution to problem 198, for I have one which is a hell of an arithmetic and I am not quite enthusiastic to type it in latex.

Oh right, I've never heard of her! Perhaps try some F. Scott Fitzgerald. Especially if you're a fan of short stories!

Unfortunately I do not, and I do not believe such a solution exists :')

Ideally, you would want to focus entirely within the boundaries of the exam. If you keep doing questions that require different methods (i.e. Laplace transforms) until the last day, then you will be inclined to think about those first. To quote Abraham Maslow, to a man who possesses a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.

Hmm, good point, I hadn't considered that it could be interpreted as an interval! I just put the brackets so that it was easier to read :lol: Perhaps braces?

Very nice quote, I agree! I need to return to my step preparation :')
Original post by Jkn
Perhaps braces?

Not unless you write P(R)\mathcal{P}\left(\mathbb R\right) instead :tongue:
Reply 1366

Problem 212**

Evaluate 022cosxxsinxx4dx\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{2-2\cos x-x\sin x}{x^{4}}\, dx

Another fun integral to do whilst avoiding exam preparation :smile:

(I've decided to be rigorous for the sake of it)

Problem 212

I(x)=022cosxxsinxx4dx=04sin2(x2)xsin(x)x4 dx[br]=[4sin2(x2)xsin(x)3x3]0+130sin(x)xcos(x)x3 dx\displaystyle I(x)= \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{2-2\cos x-x\sin x}{x^{4}}\, dx = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{4 \sin^2 (\frac{x}{2})- x \sin(x)}{x^4} \ dx[br]\displaystyle = \left[-\frac{4 \sin^2 (\frac{x}{2})- x \sin(x)}{3x^3} \right]_0^{\infty} +\frac{1}{3} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin(x)-x \cos(x)}{x^3} \ dx

Noting that limx04sin2(x2)xsin(x)x3=limx0x2x2x3=0\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{4 \sin^2 (\frac{x}{2})- x \sin(x)}{x^3} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x^2-x^2}{x^3} = 0,

I(x)=130sin(x)xcos(x)x3 dx=[sin(x)xcos(x)6x2]0+160sin(x)x dx\displaystyle \begin{aligned} \Rightarrow I(x) = \frac{1}{3} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin(x)-x \cos(x)}{x^3} \ dx = \left[-\frac{\sin(x)-x \cos(x)}{6x^2} \right]_0^{\infty} +\frac{1}{6} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x} \ dx \end{aligned}

Noting that limx0sin(x)xcos(x)6x2=limx0xx6x2=0\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin(x)- x \cos(x)}{6x^2} = \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{x-x}{6x^2} = 0,

I(x)=160sin(x)x dx\displaystyle \Rightarrow I(x) = \frac{1}{6} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x} \ dx

Let f(t) = 0sin(tx)x dx\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin(tx)}{x} \ dx,

L{f(t)}=0est0sin(x)x dx dt=01xL{sin(tx)} dx\displaystyle \Rightarrow \mathcal{L} \{ f(t) \} = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-st} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x} \ dx \ dt = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x} \mathcal{L} \{sin(tx) \} \ dx, by Fubini's Theorem.

L{f(t)}=01s2+x2 dx=π2s\displaystyle \Rightarrow \mathcal{L} \{ f(t) \} = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{s^2+x^2} \ dx = \frac{\pi}{2s}

f(t)=L1{π2s}=π2\displaystyle \Rightarrow f(t) = \mathcal{L}^{-1} \{ \frac{\pi}{2s} \} = \frac{\pi}{2}

Therefore I(x)=16f(1)=π12 \displaystyle I(x) = \frac{1}{6} f(1) =\frac{\pi}{12} \ \square
(edited 10 years ago)
Quick break from STEP. :ninja:

Solution 211

Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{aligned} \cos \dfrac{z}{2}=\displaystyle \prod_{k\geq 0}\left(1-\frac{z^2}{\pi^2(2k+1)^2}\right)\Rightarrow \tan \frac{z}{2}=-2\frac{d}{dz}\ln \cos \frac{z}{2}=\sum_{k\geq 0}\frac{4z}{\pi^2(2k+1)^2-z^2}

sinhaxsinhbxdx=01x(xaxaxbxb)dx=012x(xaxaxbxb)dx=012xba1(1x2a1x2b)dx=k0012x(2k+1)ba1(1x2a)dx=k04ab2(2k+1)2a2=πbtanπa2b\displaystyle \begin{aligned}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sinh ax}{\sinh bx} \, dx=\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x}\left(\frac{x^a-x^{-a}}{x^b-x^{-b}}\right) \,dx &=\int_0^{1} \frac{2}{x}\left(\frac{x^{a}-x^{-a}}{x^{b}-x^{-b}}\right) \,dx\\&=\int_0^{1} 2x^{b-a-1}\left(\frac{1-x^{2a}}{1-x^{2b}}\right) \,dx\\&=\sum_{k\geq 0}\int_0^{1} 2x^{(2k+1)b-a-1}(1-x^{2a}) \,dx \\& =\sum_{k\geq 0} \frac{4a}{b^2(2k+1)^2-a^2}\\& = \frac{\pi}{b} \tan \frac{\pi a}{2b}\end{aligned}

Solution 212

\begin{aligned}\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{2-2\cos x-x\sin x}{x^4}\,dx=\frac{1}{3} \int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin x-x\cos x}{x^3}\,dx=\frac{1}{6}\int_0^{ \infty} \frac{\sin x}{x}\,dx =\frac{\pi}{12}

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1368
Original post by ukdragon37

What's that? :lol:

Read this (taken from here). If it still doesn't help, then try this. :tongue:

:rofl:
Reply 1371
Original post by Lord of the Flies

\begin{aligned}\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{2-2\cos x-x\sin x}{x^4}\,dx=\frac{1}{3} \int_0^{\infty}\frac{x\cos x-\sin x}{x^3}\,dx

Sign error :rolleyes: ...the dangers of emitting working :wink:
Original post by Jkn

He's far from emitting working :wink:
Original post by Jkn

Danger is my middle name, #YOLO.

(thanks)

Original post by bananarama2

LOL I hadn't noticed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1374

Taking emitting working to the extreme :lol: :colone:
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Danger is my middle name, #YOLO.

(thanks)

Living on the edge :cool:

Is that how little working you did on paper? :eek: (the first two steps that is)
Reply 1375
A bit of a joke... :colone:

Problem 214

Evaluate 03sin(x)xcos(x)2xx5 dx\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{3 \sin(x)-x \cos(x)-2x}{x^5} \ dx

I'll have you know I'm normally sufficiently conscientious :mad:

Original post by Jkn
What's that? :lol:

Funny that you know what Laplace transforms are but not power sets. My point exactly about how discrete mathematics is taught in this country. :colonhash:

EDIT: Having seen the following elsewhere on TSR I felt I have to bring it to the attention of this thread. Please do not do this in your STEP papers.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1377

Funny that you know what Laplace transforms are but not about power sets. My point exactly about how discrete mathematics is taught in this country. :colonhash:

I think it's good to learn all of these integration techniques early though! :biggrin: Integration is a topic taught at A-Level so why not get a year or two ahead? :lol: Set theory, on the other hand, I eagerly look forward to learning next year or over the summer :wink:

Edit: And also, I'm trying to train myself to think mathematically and I believe the best way of doing that, at my age, is to do olympiad-style problems rather than learning things I haven't really been introduced to yet. I consider definite integration to be olympiad-style despite the fact it's not included in pre-university competitions (which is probably due to the breadth of knowledge needed rendering it difficult to be successful unless you are older and are more comfortable with the advanced techniques)

Edit 2: PRSOM^ that picture :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
My point exactly about how discrete mathematics is taught in this country. :colonhash:

And how glad of that I am :colone:
Solution 214

π48-\dfrac{\pi}{48}

From 212.

Original post by Jkn
Is that how little working you did on paper? :eek: (the first two steps that is)

Yes, making a sign mistake on both IBPs, and thus getting to the correct value anyway. :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest