The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Solution 236

Here's a more systematic way:

u=ln(x),du=dxx,dx=euduu=\ln(x), du=\frac{dx}{x}, dx=e^udu

sin(ln(x))dx=sin(u)eudu=(eu+iu)\int \sin( \ln(x))dx= \int \sin( u) e^u du= \Im (\int e^{u+iu})
=(eu+iu1+i)=((1i)eu+iu2)=eu2(sin(u)cos(u))=x2(sin(ln(x))cos(ln(x)))=\Im \left (\frac{e^{u+iu}}{1+i} \right) =\Im \left ((1-i)\frac{e^{u+iu}}{2} \right)=\frac{e^u}{2} \left(\sin(u)- \cos(u) \right)=\frac{x}{2} \left(\sin(\ln(x))- \cos( \ln(x)) \right)

Ditto for cos(ln(x))\cos( \ln(x)).
Original post by Jkn
Edit: Another fun problem (not from IMO):

Problem 234*

Find all possible n-tuples of reals x1,x2,,xnx_1,x_2, \cdots ,x_n such that i=1nxi=1\prod_{i=1}^{n} x_i = 1 and i=1kxni=k+1nxi=1\prod_{i=1}^{k} x_n - \prod_{i=k+1}^{n} x_i = 1 for 0kn10 \le k \le n-1

Perhaps add an explanation of the Pi notation and tuples, since they're not mentioned at A-level (or not on Edexcel, at least) - I know it's just notation, but when you don't recognise words/symbols it can put you off pretty quickly.
Original post by The Polymath
Perhaps add an explanation of the Pi notation and tuples, since they're not mentioned at A-level (or not on Edexcel, at least) - I know it's just notation, but when you don't recognise words/symbols it can put you off pretty quickly.

Perhaps notation should get a note in the OP?
(edited 10 years ago)

Spoiler

Solution 238
I may be simplifying things too much here, but would it just be 0xaf(x)xadx\displaystyle \int_{0}^{x_a}\frac{f(x)}{x_a}dx?

Yeah, that's it baby girl. How'd you solve it?
Solution 237

Let x=75tanθ:x = \dfrac{7}{\sqrt{5}} \tan \theta :

0x29(5x2+49)17dx=73049175150π/2sin29θcos3θ dθ=174515480\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{29}}{(5x^{2} + 49)^{17}} dx = \frac{7^{30}}{49^{17} \cdot 5^{15}} \cdot \int_{0}^{\pi /2} \sin^{29} \theta \cos^{3} \theta \ d \theta = \frac{1}{7^{4} \cdot 5^{15} \cdot 480}
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hecandothatfromran
Yeah, that's it baby girl. How'd you solve it?

:lolwut:
Original post by bananarama2
:lolwut:

Yeah, i know :rolleyes:. That's how i talk. To me, it has an aura of eloquence about it, don't you think?

Did you quote me? It seems so, but I can't find it.
Original post by Felix Felicis
Solution 237

Let x=75tanθ:x = \dfrac{7}{\sqrt{5}} \tan \theta :

0x29(5x2+49)17dx=73049175150π/2sin29θcos3θdθ=7304917515480\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{29}}{(5x^{2} + 49)^{17}} dx = \frac{7^{30}}{49^{17} \cdot 5^{15}} \cdot \int_{0}^{\pi /2} \sin^{29} \theta \cos^{3} \theta d \theta = \frac{7^{30}}{49^{17} \cdot 5^{15} \cdot 480}

Yep, but it can be simplified further.
Original post by Jkn
Had a nice afternoon avoiding STEP and indulging in some IMO problems!

Did you not like problem 6? Determine whether f(5,y)f(5,y) is a perfect cube for some yy. :tongue:
Original post by james22
Yep, but it can be simplified further.

So it can :tongue:
Reply 1632

Original post by bananarama2
Perhaps notation should get a note in the OP?

I think everyone knows at at this point, perhaps there should be some basic notation and even teaching resources in the OP, that would be great...

OMG I've just had a vision... like a TSR olympiad society where everyone learns random **** and then some of the older people find 6 or so problems and put them on and then we all have to do them in time conditions... that would be awesome! :O

I was a bit apprehensive in typing the problem up in that form though, without that notation, it is far too obvious to spot (I shall say no more :wink: )

Also, I actually typed 10 problems up (rather than 4) and yet my browser froze and TSR only saved the first 4 :/ I'll probably put them up later...
Original post by jack.hadamard
Did you not like problem 6? Determine whether f(5,y)f(5,y) is a perfect cube for some yy. :tongue:

I gave it a minute or so but, as nothing jumped out at me, I decided not to try it (I don't have enough experience with functional equations to know whether or I'm on the right track...)

Spoiler

Did you quote me? It seems so, but I can't find it.

Yeah, a response to your question, but I realised that LotF had already given the answer so I deleted it. That quote notification is doomed to remain a the top of your "who quoted me" for the rest of time :colone: (really annoying bug)
Yeah, a response to your question, but I realised that LotF had already given the answer so I deleted it. That quote notification is doomed to remain a the top of your "who quoted me" for the rest of time :colone: (really annoying bug)

Okay, I was just puzzled. :tongue:

Original post by Jkn

I gave it a minute or so but, as nothing jumped out at me, I decided not to try it (I don't have enough experience with functional equations to know whether or I'm on the right track...)

Spoiler

This is a wise decision. Well, I have been out of practice (done only bookwork) for a while and feel atrophied already. :biggrin: I did problem two easily, because I have been using Vandermonde-related identities recently. About problem three, I recognised Cassini's identity and got the right answer, but through a flawed proof. Problem six is actually a breeze.
Reply 1635

Spoiler

Umm.. spoiler alert! :lol:

Spoiler

Solution 232

Clearly the possible elements are from the set {1,2,,nr+1}\{1,2,\cdots, n-r+1\} and, for each of those guys, we have (nir1)\dbinom{n-i}{r-1} corresponding subsets. Hence, (nr)F(r,n)=1×(n1r1)++(nr+1)×(r1r1)=i=rnj=r1i1(jr1)=(n+1r+1)\begin{aligned} \displaystyle \dbinom{n}{r}F(r,n)= 1\times \dbinom{n-1}{r-1}+\cdots+ (n-r+1) \times \dbinom{r-1}{r-1} = \sum_{i=r}^{n} \sum_{j=r-1}^{i-1} \dbinom{j}{r-1} = \dbinom{n+1}{r+1} \end{aligned}.

Solution 233

We claim that all solutions to n2mnm2n^{2}-mn-m^{2} belong to the set TT consisting only of consecutive Fibonacci numbers.
Suppose that there is a solution (m,n)(m,n), which is not in TT. We can further suppose that m+nm+n is minimal and that n>mn>m. Thus (nm,m)(n-m,m) is a solution with smaller sum; whence, it is in TT, implying that (m,n)(m,n) is in TT - contradiction.

Solution 234

Really?!

Solution 235

I denote the left handed side by AnA_{n}, for I am too lazy to type this sum. For n=2n=2 the inequality holds true. Suppose that it is true for all i{1,2,,n}i \in \{1,2, \cdots,n\}.
Then, An+1>An+4n(n+1)(n+2)=2n3+6n2+2nn(n+1)(n+2)=2((n+1)2+(n+1)1)(n+1)(n+2)\begin{aligned} \displaystyle A_{n+1}> A_{n}+ \frac{4}{n(n+1)(n+2)} = \frac{2n^{3}+6n^{2}+2n}{n(n+1)(n+2)} = \frac{2((n+1)^{2}+(n+1)-1)}{(n+1)(n+2)} \end{aligned}.
It is quite weak.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ukdragon37
I can't believe it.... ten thousand words of category theory, done and submitted. I never thought I'd be able to :cry:

Now to get some sleep. :sleep:

Congrats btw :biggrin:
Original post by Jkn
Umm.. spoiler alert! :lol: ...

Cassini's identity is regularly used in STEP. You are meant to recognise that and prove no other solutions.

Original post by Mladenov

You are on the team this year, then? It's approaching. :smile:
Reply 1639
Original post by Mladenov
Solution 232

Clearly the possible elements are from the set {1,2,,nr+1}\{1,2,\cdots, n-r+1\} and, for each of those guys, we have (nir1)\dbinom{n-i}{r-1} corresponding subsets. Hence, (nr)F(r,n)=1×(n1r1)++(nr+1)×(r1r1)=i=rnj=r1n1(jr1)=(n+1r+1)\begin{aligned} \displaystyle \dbinom{n}{r}F(r,n)= 1\times \dbinom{n-1}{r-1}+\cdots+ (n-r+1) \times \dbinom{r-1}{r-1} = \sum_{i=r}^{n} \sum_{j=r-1}^{n-1} \dbinom{j}{r-1} = \dbinom{n+1}{r+1} \end{aligned}.

Seen as it is a problem that gives you a result to prove, you should probably elaborate on your last step :tongue: (as a rule of thumb, if an IMO examiner would not award you the marks, you can probably assume that we will have trouble following :wink: )

Solution 233

We claim that all solutions to n2mnm2n^{2}-mn-m^{2} belong to the set TT consisting only of Fibonacci numbers.
Suppose that there is a solution (m,n)(m,n), which is not in TT. We can further suppose that m+nm+n is minimal and that n>mn>m. Thus (nm,m)(n-m,m) is a solution with smaller sum; whence, it is in TT, implying that (m,n)(m,n) is in TT - contradiction.

This is incorrect. You have assumed a statement without justification and then discarded the 'counterexample' in favour of the conjecture. You have also not fully justified how it is that you have a contradiction and you have also applied an algebraic manipulation that contradicts the generality of a result you later used. :tongue:

Solution 234

Really?!

If you find a problem trivial, I don't see why you need to put other people off. I'm sure someone would have enjoyed posting a solution to it :/

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest