The Student Room Group

Social Work Masters - Christchurch vs. South Bank

I'm hoping someone could give me a bit of advice.

I've recieved two offers for the masters; Canterbury Christchurch and London South Bank.
I had my heart set on Christchurch and they gave me a conditional offer (providing all my references go through). And South Bank gave me an unconditional. The only trouble is apparently there is no guarentee of getting a placement close by in Canterbury, I was told at my interview I'd have to be willing to travel up to an hour & a half. I planned to move over to Canterbury. The other downfall is according to the Guardians league table the full time completion rating is only 49% whereas it's 98% at South Bank.

I got a really nice feeling when I was in South Bank but the thought of moving to such a huge city with not a lot of cash and not knowing anyone is pretty daunting.

I just always saw myself going to Canterbury. I've had major trouble trying to get ahold of anyone at Canterbury which doesn't leave me feeling great. I sent an email over 2 weeks ago and I still haven't recieved a response, whenever I call it goes straight to answer phone.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been to either of these universitys and if so could they tell me what their experience is?

On a side note does anyone know much about the situation with the bursary and funding?

Any advice would be a great help, thank you.
Original post by Chloe_
I'm hoping someone could give me a bit of advice.

I've recieved two offers for the masters; Canterbury Christchurch and London South Bank.
I had my heart set on Christchurch and they gave me a conditional offer (providing all my references go through). And South Bank gave me an unconditional. The only trouble is apparently there is no guarentee of getting a placement close by in Canterbury, I was told at my interview I'd have to be willing to travel up to an hour & a half. I planned to move over to Canterbury. The other downfall is according to the Guardians league table the full time completion rating is only 49% whereas it's 98% at South Bank.

I got a really nice feeling when I was in South Bank but the thought of moving to such a huge city with not a lot of cash and not knowing anyone is pretty daunting.

I just always saw myself going to Canterbury. I've had major trouble trying to get ahold of anyone at Canterbury which doesn't leave me feeling great. I sent an email over 2 weeks ago and I still haven't recieved a response, whenever I call it goes straight to answer phone.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been to either of these universitys and if so could they tell me what their experience is?

On a side note does anyone know much about the situation with the bursary and funding?

Any advice would be a great help, thank you.

Hi there,

Firstly, I've moved this thread to a more suitable forum so that you are more likely to gain a reply.

I think the reason you may not have had a reply from CCCU as of yet is because the university have been on Easter vacation for the last 2/3 weeks, of which I am unsure if some the staff also get some time off also. Term resumes again on the 22nd April. I'd say try again, or try and find a direct phone line on www.canterbury.ac.uk if you've not already tried. Is there another email address you could try using as well?

Also, I currently study at another university in Canterbury so I can give you some general advice about the city if you would like.

I wouldn't feel disheartened yet, just keep trying to contact Christchurch and I'm sure they'll get back to you as soon as possible. When do you need to make your final choice by?
Reply 2
Original post by Chloe_
I sent an email over 2 weeks ago and I still haven't recieved a response, whenever I call it goes straight to answer phone.

Don't be disheartened by this. It's the Easter break at the moment, so when you emailed things would have been frantic around the end of term and now a lot of staff will be on leave. Don't read anything into the lack of response - I doubt they're avoiding you.

My uni's summer term starts on 20th April, so it could be another couple of weeks before you hear anything back.

Is there any way you could find an alternative phone number, or ring the general Reception number and ask to be put through to someone who can help? I dropped into my faculty's Admin Office and there were plenty of people in, so there should be non-academics around who might be able to help you.

This is the link to the NHS Social Work Masters bursary scheme. Beware that it has been radically cut and is now limited to 1500 bursaries:
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/825.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending