The Student Room Group

I'm so bad at parking

Sorry if this should be in the Learning To Drive forum (although I have actually passed my test).

I passed my test at the start of December and I didn't drive a car again for nearly 4 months after that. I've recently started a new job where they've given me a company car and I've just spent the past week driving and getting used to it and so far I haven't had any problems except I'm really bad at parking.

When I was learning I was always relatively good at parking, and picked it up pretty quickly but since having that 4 month break it's like I've forgotten how to park. I always end up miles away from the kerb, or I feel like I'm getting too close to cars in front/behind, or I get confused with which way to steer and a couple of times I've just abandoned it and looked for a different space because I get so frustrated.

My friend suggested I go into a car park and get some practise but my car has the company logo and contact details plastered all over it and I think it might look a bit weird if people see me parking over and over again? Would you find it weird if you saw someone in a car from a letting agent just parking in loads of bays?

Any advice appreciated!
Reply 1
Could you contact your old instructor for a refresher? I did that after a gap of around 9 months and found it extremely helpful just to get my confidence back with parking.

If not, just find a quiet car park to have a go :smile:
Reply 2
Maybe try going to a car park at night when its quiter and then people won't notice the company logo on your car? and then progress to car parks that are busier so you get used to parking next to other cars etc.

When i first passed my test i was terrible at parking as i never practiced it during my lessons, i just practiced on quite car parks, i found this helpful as i didn't feel under pressure to rush
How did you learn to park during your lessons? If you had a decent instructor you'll most likely have learned using reference points. So the key to learning to park your new car would be to pick out/create some reference points.
Original post by WoodyMKC
How did you learn to park during your lessons? If you had a decent instructor you'll most likely have learned using reference points. So the key to learning to park your new car would be to pick out/create some reference points.

Great advice, thank you!
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Great advice, thank you!

It's pretty simple for parking up next to a curb on the left, when you do park a good distance from it just get back in the car, sit in your normal driving position and notice where it looks like the curbstone meets your windshield. Hopefully it's somewhere memorable, like a certain part of the bottom end of the windscreen wiper or something like that.
If you're parking up on the right, either use your mini-mirror, or stick your head out of the window lol.

For reverse bay parking in a bay to your left, probably best to get a friend o help you out, having them sit in the passanger seat.
Have a few goes at reverse parking in a bay on your left (preferrably do this at night in an empty car park). Once you get a good one, you'll be using that to make a reference point.
Slowly start to pull out of the bay, keeping the wheel straight.
Just as the back wheels are about to leave the bay, full lock the wheel to the left rather briskly.
Continue moving forward slowly, keeping it locked left until your car is perfectly perpendicular to the bays. Once you get to that point, STOP (so you should have come out of the bay and be at a 90 degree angle compared to how you started).
At this point, you should notice that one of the lines that mark the bays should look like it roughly meets the middle of your left passenger window.
Now sit normally and get your friend to draw a little line on your door just below the window where the line "meets" your window (you might have to do a little "right a bit... bit more... bit more... THERE! with them).
Once the mark is there, notice how many lines this is away from the bay that you were parked in; it's normally 2 lines from the right edge of the bay you were in as you look at it from where you are now. Remember this, whatever it is.

Once you have this mark, all you do when you pick your bay is move as far right to the bay as is safe, keeping a 90 degree angle to the bay. Slow down, and spot the line you'll need to "meet" with the reference point.
When you meet it, stop, stick it in reverse, full lock to the left rather briskly as soon as you get moving, then you should get straight into the bay without problem.
Don't forget to straighten up the wheel when the car is parallel to the bay lines :wink:
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Great advice, thank you!

Oh, a tip to improve your bay parking (which might be useful - i never got round to this myself :tongue:):

Park in the bay perfectly. Then drive out of the space - forwards for a bit, then full lock steering till you're at right angles to the space. Then stop. Make a note of where you are relative to the space (e.g. above the left door handle, the white line might be the 3rd line after the line you want to park next to).

It's difficult to explain it like this, but basically work backwards. End how to want to end, then drive out the space, and find out where you should start off :biggrin:
Reply 7
Take the car down to a quiet car park at night and just practice. Don't bother with "formulas" "or "systems" e.g. when you see the white line reach the bottom of the window add 1/2 a turn etc - do it by eye and get used to how your steering inputs affect the car.

These systems are all well and good for passing a test, but as soon as you have to drive a different car you are stuffed!
Reply 8
To park into a bay, I just do it this way:

1) Position your car diagonally from the bay you wish to park in.
2) Look in your side mirrors and reverse back.
3) Concentrate on the white line and make sure your car is in the white line and start turning.

Concentrate on one white line, I usually use the right mirror for this. Basically if your inside the white line then you will get in. It's pretty hard to describe through text but I'd try practice on a empty parking area. I.e. Asda on a Sunday.
Reply 9
Get blind spot mirrors :smile: These have helped me no end with parking! I've got these which are just stick on, so should be fine for a company car :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summit-RV-16-Convex-Small-Mirror/dp/B002NPQNIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365452299&sr=8-1&keywords=blind+spot+mirrors
My dad used to have a company car quite a lot. He found some big magnetic strips that he put over the company logo because he didn't really want the whole neighbourhood knowing who he worked for.
Reply 11
Try practising in a supermarket car park. If you go on Sunday evening it should be empty and their spaces are usually wide which should make it easier.
Original post by nadiah
Get blind spot mirrors :smile: These have helped me no end with parking! I've got these which are just stick on, so should be fine for a company car :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summit-RV-16-Convex-Small-Mirror/dp/B002NPQNIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365452299&sr=8-1&keywords=blind+spot+mirrors

Life saver!

Thank you SO much. +rep when I can.

Quick Reply

Latest