The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by funkymama
As long as you show that you have had some experience (either through work or observation) and awareness of SLT I wouldn't think you would need to prove your ability to study. The therapist I work with qualified as a speech therapist at City having a degree in German and after being at home bringing up her children for 15 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to know that, Funkymama. Thanks for your answer :smile:
Hi,

I'm preparing for my interview for Greenwich for a post grad in SLT. I'm currently working as a support worker for children with autism. I'm still worried that I haven't got enough experience post degree. Have tried getting as much volunteer work as possible, but it's been tricky!

Any hints for the most important things they'll be looking for in the interview?

thanks

Louise
Reply 42
Original post by louisejessica
Hi,

I'm preparing for my interview for Greenwich for a post grad in SLT. I'm currently working as a support worker for children with autism. I'm still worried that I haven't got enough experience post degree. Have tried getting as much volunteer work as possible, but it's been tricky!

Any hints for the most important things they'll be looking for in the interview?

thanks

Louise

Hi Louise I think that they must be happy with the experience you have or else they wouldn't have invited you for an interview so I wouldn't worry about it so much now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Hey all!
I'm thinking of applying to the UCL and City courses to start in 2014. I went on the UCL open evening a few months ago and have been trying to find out if City are doing one but have not had much luck - does anyone know about this? I've been worrying about financial support too. I thought about getting a part time job but I've heard the course is so intense, it's not possible. Does anyone know of any other grants or anything that I may have missed or is the means-tested NHS bursary the only thing?

Thanks and good luck with all your apps!
Original post by mh595
Hey all!
I'm thinking of applying to the UCL and City courses to start in 2014. I went on the UCL open evening a few months ago and have been trying to find out if City are doing one but have not had much luck - does anyone know about this? I've been worrying about financial support too. I thought about getting a part time job but I've heard the course is so intense, it's not possible. Does anyone know of any other grants or anything that I may have missed or is the means-tested NHS bursary the only thing?

Thanks and good luck with all your apps!

Hi I'm not sure about City's open day but as for finances have you looked into career development loans? They are provided by banks and you only start paying it back after you have finished your course. Some universities will give a small grant but it's not enough to cover living expenses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
I am an international student who is starting UCL in a little over a week. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about the application process!
Reply 46
Hi, I have an interview at Greenwich Uni (Kent campus) in september, I was just wondering if there was anyone who could tell me what to expect from the interview? thanks
Original post by sineadp
Hi all,

I just wanted to add a bit of advise from my experience from applying to these courses. I am currently studying on the SLT course at Greenwich which I would highly recommend. The focus is really on applied practice and training you to be a competent practitioner when you finish.
Just a few things that I think would have helped me when applying -
1. I know its hard but try and get experience with both adults and children if you can - great to see the breadth of what SALT can work in, and if you can see them working within MDT's even better.
2. When writing your application, think about what you have seen speech therapists do and reflect on what this made you think about - eg Seeing an SLT working with young children with speech impairments really made me think about how much verbal communication we use in everyday life to get our points of view across and how frustrating it can be not to make your point heard.
3. I think most courses are looking for people with the academic ability (there is a lot of work and it is hard) but they are also looking for people with great communication skills who can put their client at the very focus of what they do, giving them the resources to facilitate their communication, in whatever form that is.
4. Think about SLT work indirectly with families and clients, giving advice and sharing their expertise with teachers, families etc. More and more SLT work in this way and if it is something you can show awareness of at this stage it would be good on your application.

Ok so that's it, hope some of it helps someone!

**Thanks for this!! Really helpful!!** :smile:
Still waiting on Mishcon - had correspondence saying they were still reviewing/screening my application - on the basis that others have been rejected or had telephone interviews on here...is it a good or a bad thing I have not been invited/rejected?... Thought I would let everyone know in case others are still waiting on them!
I had a SALT therapist in secondary school, I guess it was very helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
I'm applying just to Reading, hoping that the experience I have will be enough (No matter how much you have, there's always more you could do, right?).

I've heard/seen somewhere that there are only 11 NHS funded places. Bit of a nail-biter until we all get responses, then! I believe there are bursaries available if you don't make the funding, though it is all a bit confusing.
I am going to apply to Reading, UCL and City. Has anyone been able to start their applications properly yet? So far all I have been able to find has been the work experience form for UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Mari_Chuela
Is there any reason in particular that you're only applying for Reading (I know the SLT is supposed to be excellent)?

The course structure and modules appeal more than other courses, not to mention the on-site clinic.
Reply 53
Original post by emilyross17
I am going to apply to Reading, UCL and City. Has anyone been able to start their applications properly yet? So far all I have been able to find has been the work experience form for UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reading application should be up fairly soon, if I remember correctly from seeing it last year, if it's not up already.
Reply 54
Original post by kmb11587
I am an international student who is starting UCL in a little over a week. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about the application process!

Can you remember when the application was available to start working on?
Reply 55
For some reason, I convinced myself that the application cycle began at the beginning of September but I've been told that most UCL courses applications load on the 1st of October - that doesn't seem like a very long time to upload all necessary documents and sort out any issues with references... Not that it really applies to people on this forum who have been thinking about it for months! :smile:
You can start the Reading application but UCL is still closed. The Reading one will also let you submit it now if it is complete but I'm going to keep mine open until mid November so that I can work on my personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mari_Chuela
Hi,

Has anyone not started drafting their PS? I'm still waiting for a bit more experience but find it a bit disconcerting that the deadline is drawing so near!

:eek::confused:

I've drafted it but I am currently arranging more volunteering so I'm going to wait a bit longer before I complete them. I'm aiming to submit it all by the middle of November.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
I think I'm just being inept, but on the Reading application form there's a box that asks if you have any funding. What on earth do we put re: the NHS? It does say that "Once accepted on the programme, you will be sent application forms for this funding," so it's something that we do after the application. I think I'm confusing myself here. Feels like counting chickens putting NHS funding on the application form!
Doesn't it also say that it won't effect your application if you tick the box or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest