The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2014 (MSc)

Hello fellow students, practitioners and future SALTs!

I couldn't find a thread for postgraduate SALT applicants starting in 2014 (although I did find a wonderful one on the 2013 entry) and I'm feeling the need for some applicant solidarity!

I thought I'd start a thread as a place to talk about the application process (personal statements, work experience, volunteering placements, internships, books/journals/recommended reading lists, interviews, bursary applications, etc.).

If there are any current students studying postgraduate SALT, please feel free to contribute anything you wish you'd known during the process or things you've found particularly helpful/advantageous.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there! I'm planning to attempt the MSc in 2014. I'm currently working as a SLT assistant and so far have applied to Greenwich and will be trying City and UCL as I live in London and they will be easier to get to for me. I'm a mum to teenagers so its going to be challenge if I manage to get on! What universities are you planning to apply to? It's a stressful process 😆

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hello! Welcome to the thread.

I'm applying to City and UCL, with UCL as my favourite.
Gosh, I can imagine - but I'm sure they're proud to have a mum who has ambition!
It is stressful, at first I felt quite optimistic about the whole process but now I've started collating all my work experience history and things I'm comparing myself to others and wondering if there's a chance in heck of me actually gaining a place!

You're working as an SLT assistant, that's fantastic you're already working within the sector. I'm hoping to get some work experience with adults as mine is most,y early years and school based! :/
Reply 3
Hi there I am hoping to apply for the SLT courses at UCL and Reading for 2014 entry. Reading application deadline is December 2013 so it's still a while to get some experience in place. I work in a primary school during the week and volunteer with a SALT on the weekends but I need to expand my experience a bit.

I think it was on the UCL website where they tell you the sorts of experience they accepted before for entrants and some of it is achievable.

Do you have an idea of when the Universities let us know if we have got in or not? Charlotte

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi I'm not sure whether they wait until the closing date before responding or on receipt of the application. I think I've almost managed to talk myself out if it 😄 do you know how many places Reading, City and UCL have? I think they must have quite a few applicants for each place. I have very little adult experience so I might have a look over the summer and see what I can do. I will have a look and see what they recommend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I believe it's something along the lines of 20 places for reading and almost double that for UCL. They must have tons of applicants which is why I'm trying to get as much experience as I can before I apply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
😩 Oh wow scary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
UCL's website puts the average number of applicants at around 350-400 and there are 50 places available... Eek!
Reply 8
Yeah it seems difficult to get in when they only have a few places available

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I've tried looking at what could be available from nhs bursary website but its all quite confusing! Has anyone looked at this in more detail? x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
As in, funding and financial support?
Reply 11
I think I tried working it out once and could only estimate what I might get...a rough estimate at that. I think there was a table and I got the figures from there. I know that some students do part time work through the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have read that the masters course is nhs funded but I was concerned about the financial support. I've used the online calculator to get an estimate if what you can receive but it doesn't seem like much!! It's worrying how little it is!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Sorry have just seen this! Yes it's not really very much and I think that it's possible to do some part time work depending on which of the courses you start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I've signed myself up to some educational bank staff agencies, at least that way I can turn down work if I'm swamped with course work! I still think I'm going to need to save up this year to ensure I'm not worried the whole way through.

Has anyone else planned to work alongside?
Reply 15
That's my plan too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine too, I won't have much choice but to work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have any if you tried to begin an application for the MSc at UCL? When I went on to register the other day it didn't give the option to begin applying for 2014 entry. Do you think it will just open up bearer the time?

I've tried to get most of my reading app sorted already, just the basic bits like completing the work exp bits and such and leaving my personal statement until nearer the time, but I can't do that with the UCL one just yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
I downloaded the UCL work experience document a few months back, have you found that?

Latest