The Student Room Group

Unis that don't base selection for interview on personal statement

Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any medical schools that don't read the personal statements of applicants in order to select them for interviews ?

many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
apparently exeter/plymouth dont use it that much but im not sure about that
Alot who are UKCAT favoured, tend to say PS has to be a certain standard, not necessarily a high mark on it so if you have a good UKCAT go for the London Unis or Nottingham, HYMS
Newcastle used to have a simple UKCAT cut-off.
Glasgow - have academic quals, UKCAT cut-off (top 500 of applicant pool) = interview
Reply 4
Original post by sweetchilli
Glasgow - have academic quals, UKCAT cut-off (top 500 of applicant pool) = interview

Hello thank you :smile: - so do Glasgow not look at the ps and do all top 500 applicant get interviewed considering they meet minimum academic requirements ?

Original post by AnonymousPenguin
Newcastle used to have a simple UKCAT cut-off.

Hi thank you :smile:
Do you know if they still do ?
Original post by jojo1995

Probably, I don't know. Their website has a complete admissions policy, it's only a few pages long.

I applied 3 years ago.
Cambridge doesn't really read PS
Dundee don't look at it until interview and I believe SGUL are the same.
Newcastle still select for interview based purely on UKCAT score. PS is only looked at just before/during the interview.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Dundee don't look at it until interview and I believe SGUL are the same.

Really? Dundee certainly used to look at PS before interview 3-4 years ago.

How do they do it now?
Original post by hoonosewot
Really? Dundee certainly used to look at PS before interview 3-4 years ago.

How do they do it now?

For undergrads, purely academic; 60% grades, 40% UKCAT.

As far as I'm aware, the PS isn't ever formally scored because, post-interview, their decision is based purely on interview performance.
Reply 11
Belfast.
Oxford don't, they just look at bmat and gcse a* percentage. I don't understand why you don't want them looking at your personal statement, because if you can't express/haven't got enough experience on paper, how do you expect to get through an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Nottingham GEM apparently it is essentially only used to check you're not insane, and to verify experiences? Could be wrong.
Hello thank you :smile: - so do Glasgow not look at the ps and do all top 500 applicant get interviewed considering they meet minimum academic requirements ?

Hi thank you :smile:

Glasgow look at PS but don't really use it for selection. Interviewers might ask you something about it but some don't even get a copy. Top 500-550 UKCAT scores get invited if meet minimum academic requirements.
Just do work experience over the summer holidays in your local GP/Hospital and volunteer in an O.P home. Maybe pick up an instrument or join your local football team to seem well rounded. If you've got no experience they won't be impressed at your interview :l
Reply 16
Why are you concerned?
Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any medical schools that don't read the personal statements of applicants in order to select them for interviews ?

many thanks :smile:

Birmingham - they use academic criteria

Quick Reply

Latest