The Student Room Group

Fellow acne sufferers, how do you control/treat your acne?

I'm a sixteen year old girl, I've had acne since I was 12 and I'm getting to a point where I'm so frustrated I could cry. Having bad skin is such a burden. I'm good with makeup and can make myself look half decent but nothing truly covers it.

Heres a bit of background: My skin is not particularly oily. My spots are almost all on my chin, but I have the odd few on other parts of my face. They get very red and eventually become "whiteheads" which I try not to squeeze. They're always very raised spots. I also have very large, clogged pores on my nose and kind of under my eyes.

This just isn't going away. I cleanse my skin with a gentle cleanser in the morning, and use the La Roche Posay effeclar duo, which has helped a little bit but not enough. To remove my makeup I double cleanse, so it's always thoroughly removed. I have good hygiene generally. I'm not stressed, but I know it could be hormones. I only get acne on my face, nowhere else.

What products/foods/pills/ANYTHING do you guys use to manage your acne? What helps/doesn't? Any other comments/suggestions? I'm willing to try almost anything. Thank you!

:redface:

CT: the best products for keeping spots at bay

Best moisturisers for oily skin

Best cleansers for oily skin

Best exfoliators for oily skin

Best primers for oily skin
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kateislate
I'm a sixteen year old girl, I've had acne since I was 12 and I'm getting to a point where I'm so frustrated I could cry. Having bad skin is such a burden. I'm good with makeup and can make myself look half decent but nothing truly covers it.

Heres a bit of background: My skin is not particularly oily. My spots are almost all on my chin, but I have the odd few on other parts of my face. They get very red and eventually become "whiteheads" which I try not to squeeze. They're always very raised spots. I also have very large, clogged pores on my nose and kind of under my eyes.

This just isn't going away. I cleanse my skin with a gentle cleanser in the morning, and use the La Roche Posay effeclar duo, which has helped a little bit but not enough. To remove my makeup I double cleanse, so it's always thoroughly removed. I have good hygiene generally. I'm not stressed, but I know it could be hormones. I only get acne on my face, nowhere else.

What products/foods/pills/ANYTHING do you guys use to manage your acne? What helps/doesn't? Any other comments/suggestions? I'm willing to try almost anything. Thank you!

If you drink milk then switch to soya milk. Don't eat cheese or other dairy products. Avoid spices and drinking carbonated drinks. Stay away from coffee and drink antioxidant drinks like green tea or ginger tea.
Reply 2
Go and see your GP. If your acne is caused by an underlying health issue, such as a hormonal imbalance, changing your diet or skin care routine will not make a bit of difference. Spots on the chin can point to hormonal changes, as this is where women who break out around the time of their period will get them.

I have to say my face sounds similar to yours. - Not oily but dry, spots mainly on the chin and few others elsewhere but the ones I do get are raised up and obvious. I've had acne for about 10 years now so I know how you feel. Please just go and see your doctor, don't waste time and money looking for treatments on your own. I'm currently on medication which seems to be working.
Try sleeping with your head on a freshly washed towel every night for a while, ive heard this works a treat :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I second that. Your GP will be able to prescibe a wide range of creams that are much better than that stuff you can buy in shops. If that fails there are also antibiotics aswell.
I've struggled with my skin for almost 9 years now so I know what it's like. But your Doctor can help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spots on your jaw/chin are often due to hormones. If you go to the GP they could prescribe you a brand of birth control that is good for clearing your skin.

I went through ages of going to the doctor and trying loads of things from the age of about 10 until I grew out of my acne at about 18. My skin is really oily and I tried a lot of different products and prescriptions to try and clear it but they either didn't work or made my face so red it didn't matter that it was clear.

I'm not saying what worked for me will work for you because our skin is probably very different but I'll tell you anyway and try not to sound like an advert. It's not the cheapest solution but is probably a lot cheaper than using high end products.

I'd wash my face twice a day with a normal oil free face wash then in the morning I'd apply Freederm gel (nicotinamide) and in the evening I'd apply Neutrogena ultra-light spot treatment moisturiser (2% salicylic acid). There's nothing special about the brands, it was just the cheapest ones with those ingredients. Also you don't have to apply them all over, just on your chin.

I found that my skin was actually very moisturised but less oily.
I also found that the contraceptive implant made my skin clearer even though they say it could make it worse.

But however your skin is try not to stress. People don't notice it half as much as you do! :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I have had acne for a long time :mad:. I've been to the dermatologist several times, he gave me pills and creams, but that dehydrated my face so much!
I wash my face twice a day (morning and evening), with a non-oil face wash. Then twice a day after the non- oil face wash i apply Gladskin cream and it works very good for me, no more spots or breakouts
:smile:
My acne is flaring up atm and I'm nearly 23! :frown:

I used to use a topical medication called Zineryt and it was like a mini miracle. I think I'll probably go back on it soon, although it has a distinct vinegar smell to it.

If yours is affecting your confidence then go straight to the doctor and see what he/she says, don't faff around with changing your diet or exercising more, your doctor can assess what's going on under your skin and tell you the best things you can do. (Which MIGHT be to change your diet, but its best to get their educated opinion first.)

Sometimes its as simple as a course of antibiotics in case youve got an infection running under the skin, but this is only usually the case with severe cystic acne.
Reply 8
I started to steam my face with a hot wash cloth every night (I still do) and that did wonders for me skin; now I barely break out (touch wood). Just run a wash cloth in hot, hot water in the sink, wring it a bit, then hang your face over the basin and hold the cloth over your face. Wait for the steam to disappear, and repeat a few more times. You feel refreshed and clean, but I'd probably argue that it does a lot more good than face 'cleansers', given that they're undoubtedly full of chemicals and other crap.

Changing my diet did help too. For example I don't eat crisps, McDonalds, sweets etc. but of course it depends from person to person.

Just sharing my experiences x.
I suffered from pretty bad acne since I was 12 until I was 20. I think it stopped because I went on the pill, but when I stopped being on the pill my acne didn't come back.
Sudocrem on your face :d
Reply 11
I'd say change the diet. and stop layering your spots with make-up.. Your only making it worse by adding impurities.
Reply 12

As a couple of people have said, go to the GP. The NHS will pay for the medicine if you do :smile: they can prescribe antibiotics like lymecycline or other tetracyclines, which are very effective; if it is very bad acne, they can refer you to a dermatologist who might prescribe Roaccutane (which clears up acne like nothing else, but has some fearsome side-effects like total immune shutdown, so not to be taken lightly!). Using benzoyl peroxide cream (like Freederm) is usually helpful, and is more so in conjunction with a prescribed antibiotic because it helps prevent the bacteria from becoming immune. Benzoyl peroxide isn't on prescription, but there is a UK shortage at the moment, so you might not be able to get hold of any.
The facecloth-soaked-in-hot-water trick other people have mentioned is also excellent; do that about fifteen minutes before applying any creams etc, so the skin has a chance to recover before you apply the acids. Also if there are any particularly angry or big spots coming up, soak them a couple of times a day in water that's as hot as you can bear (again using a facecloth).

Acne is usually something you grow out of, so don't be disheartened that you have it at the age of 16 :smile: it's just bad luck to get it badly, but almost everyone gets a few spots and more than you'd think suffer badly from it. (Certainly it's not really something I notice straight away in other people unless the spots are really obvious.) But it is treatable.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
like other people have said i'd recommend going to see a doctor! i did and the cream he gave me was so much better than any of these 'zit apply creams' none of them worked for me!

what my doctor gave me was a cream called, Duac, once daily (clindamycin + anhydrous benzoyl peroxide. this really helped! it drys out the spots overnight.

also try to stop eating cheese if you are and fizzy drinks! those two things were defiantly causing me to have spots. clean up your diet as best you can, it sounds so unoriginal but it actually does help.

keep up with the using face washes and scrub.

i use Garnier Pure anti-blackhead deep pore wash, Nivea deep clean face wash and St. Ives Apricot Scrub.

also try not to use to much moisturizer (or make up i guess) for your face as this clogs up pores which causes white heads.

also try regularly changing your sheet and pillow covers as when you sleep oils from your hair can rub on to the sheets which lead to...

i'm a guy but those things really helped me get the job i have now! hope it helps because i remember how much of a stinker it can be, all the best
Benzoyl peroxide was amazing until I developed an allergy type thing to it :'(
Think there are bp products over the counter at Boots..but test it on a small patch of skin first! low concentration is just as effective as high concentration according to some tests.. comes with less irritation also. I used Duac (BP and something else..) which was actually prescribed to me I think.

Tea tree oil is also amazing, I mix it with Aloe Vera gel (you can find both of these at Holland and Barrett or Boots) and apply that at night under my moisturiser. You can also get "Thursday Plantation" tea tree gel. Really effective if your skin likes it. Look up reviews and see if they're for you.

other products that have worked for me in terms of cleansing etc. are Pond's Cold Cream it really deep cleanses but make sure you use a hot washcloth afterwards or you may end up with more spots..
Umm there's a Garnier 3 in 1 mask which is good, also yoghurt and oatmeal face masks! Google them, they're good. And fun :wink:

If these don't work and you're at the end of your tether then GP can prescribe you birth control pills or antibiotics (oral or topical) or even accutane. Id totally understand why you wouldn't want to do this though as your body may not like BC, acne-causing bacteria is becoming resistant to antibiotics, and accutane has cr*ppy side effects. But it saves on the stress of trying every product there is and spending all your money on no results ! So as people have said, it's a good option.

But I personally ended up being prescribed Zineryt the topical antibiotic which works so you could mention that to your GP. I am phasing it out though, when I discovered the above products I mentioned, which is going well.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

:console:

- You say you're cleansing three times a day. This can damage your skin, so make sure you are using a very gentle cleanser. Whenever you can, go makeup free or minimise the amount you use, it will help your skin to have a break. On days when you're just chilling at home and you're not going to see anyone, try to avoid applying full makeup.

- When you apply your makeup, make sure your brushes and sponges are CLEAN. Otherwise, all you're doing is spreading bacteria and making breakouts worse. With concealer for instance, don't apply the wand/stick directly to your face, put a blob on the back of your hand and apply with a clean finger or clean brush from there.

- Tea tree oil is pretty good for acne. Either add a few drops to some water and wash your face with it, or apply directly to spots to dry them out. Vitamin E oil is also worth trying. You can either take it as a capsule, or burst and use as a moisturiser. If I were you I'd take it as a capsule, since you don't really want to add more oil to your skin.

- LUSH and The Body Shop do some great facemasks which you can use (I'd recommend roughly twice a week). From Body Shop, try Tea Tree Oil and Seaweed, and from LUSH try the Blueberries Fresh Face Mask. All three of these help to draw out impurities from the skin and give the face an overall more fresh appearance.

- Benefit Porefessional will help to reduce the appearance of the pores you mentioned you have on your nose and under your eyes. It's a tad pricey but it works really well and lasts for aaaages. Lots of cheaper products which do a similar job are available too!

- Diet. I found that cutting out dairy and reducing my intake of bread has reeeaaally helped to improve my skin. I don't know if this would work for you, but it might be worth a try. Also, you need to make sure you're getting enough of the vitamins that help your skin - E, A, D and others. A quick Google search will help you to make a list of all the foods that will help you.
As well as diet, exercise can help - get as much fresh air as you can. I always find my skin is clear in the summer, since I spend so much time outdoors, but breaks out in winter, when I'm inside most of the time.

Hmm.... That's all I can think of for now. Hope it helps!
:wavey:
Reply 16
i normally use cleansing wipes and then a gd exfoliating scrub or face wash :smile: i like Neutrogena as i hav quite oily skin. apparently treatments from Michael Todd True Organics (its quite expensive) is supposed to be gd at reducing acne and then preventing it from coming back but i haven't tried this one :/ has anyone else tried a regime by Michael Todd True Organics?? if so please let me know!! i want to know if it actually works before spending on it. :smile:
Reply 17

This worked for me! All I have are scars left and although my acne was still considered mild, I hated it so I understand whats going on. What was also irritating is when all my friends had acne at about 13 I had none, and as soon as everyone else's skin cleared up, mine started at about 16! So everyone else has lovely skin and I didnt. But, I have mostly scars left, and this is what tends to help me, I have no scientific evidence, but honestly I would recommend giving it a go.

1) Lots of water. It's hard to get into, but you get used to it. Now if I don't drink 2 litres of water a day, I'm literally panting at the end of the day and have such a bad headache!
2) Antibiotics, I was given tetralysl (sp?) and it did work a bit, but I was really bad and kept forgetting to take them and things like that so it could probably be quite good if you actually let it work. Before the antibiotics my GP gave me something to put on, it was this solution that I had to put on in the morning and evening and I odn't know if I used too much but it really dried out my skin to the point where if I rubbed my face I could see flakes fall off, almost like face dandruff. It was vile, and all the moisturiser in the world couldn't have fixed that. And it made my face feel really tight and itchy.
3) Tomatoes really really help!!!! Honestly, I have no idea why, but whenever I seem to eat tomatoes (I hate them so I rarely eat them so I notice the difference) raw, they seem to clear my skin practically overnight! I'm going to start eating them again tomorrow actually.
4) Healthy eating in general. Makes your skin look better, so even if you are a bit spotty, your skin will look much healthier, and I think it does actually help with the spots. Maybe that's where the tomatoes come in because I'm actually quite bad with eating my 5 a day, so on the days I've eaten otmatoes, I've probs eaten more healthily anyway.
5) Sweating. Apparently sweating cleanses your skin, and I kind of see that, because the weeks where I go for 30 min runs every day opposed to 2 hour long walks I always seem to have better skin. It's really weird but honestly, I think it helps, so really get sweaty when you exercise :smile: There's no scientific evidence for that I think. Maybe there is (google it!) but it seems to work for me.
6) Cleanse, tone, moisturise. Use a clearasil face scrub, and toner and then a WATER BASED MOISTURISER! Don't use oil based ones, they help the spots! This is what my GP told me and it made sucha difference! Also she said when applying toner use the pad in an uward motion. I don't know if that makes sense but apply it and go up your face?
7) Makeup. She told me not to use too much, and if I do don't use a sponge as bacteria build up on them once you've used them once, and she said use Clinique as even pretty expensive brands like Mac aren't that great for your skin.

Tbh I think it's probably just a hormonal thing as we're teenagers. If it's just on your face it's a hormonal thing, if it's everywhere there could be other factors. I would really really advise you to go to a GP, and they could give you some medicine and hopefully it will work. Don't let it get you down though, at the end of the day spots are horrible but they will get better eventually :smile:

I know that was long, and I hope you actually bother to read it :smile: I found those really helpful.
Reply 18
Guys this is working quite a treat for me. A teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of lemon juice on your face like a face mask. Leave for 15-20 mins then wash off and your skin will feel so smooth and those spots will also dry out. The lemon juice does the drying side and honey makes sure the acidic lemon juice doesn't harm your skin. Have a go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Aw, I understand how frustrating it is.

I use Liz Earle's Hot Cloth Cleanser and I swear by it. I'm sure it's 70% of the reason why my skin has cleared up. Like everyone else is saying, I'd also suggest going to the doctors - there are so many different creams or oral medications that they can prescribe you. I used Zineryt and I think that was the other 30% of why my acne disappeared.

Do you exfoliate? I'd suggest doing that a few times a week and I think that would help with your pores. Use a really good, gentle exfoliator that is not full of crap. I really like Origins' Modern Friction but it's a bit more on the pricy side and I'm sure you can find some good cheaper ones if you preferred.

Apart from actual products other things you can do are stuff I'm sure you always hear, drinks lots of water, eat healthily, don't use really thick foundations/concealers that will clog everything up (I think Clinique do really nice foundation for acne-prone skin) etc.

Anyway, good luck! I hope everything clears up soon. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest