The Student Room Group

Do Weights and Squats stunt your growth

Hi I'm 14 and I'm 5'12 (Big I know) and I was wondering if Weights and Squats stunt your growth, I get a bench press at home and I was meaning to use it to increase my muscle for sport, however my mates told me that it stunts my growth and I also read it on the internet, however when I did do weights I continued to grow and I'm now taller then my dad, so I'm uncertain, and apparently Squats are bad for your spine. My mum says I'm going to be a big guy when I'm older so don't risk it for weights just yet, but is there any truth to these claims that weights stunt your height and Squats damage your spine? The Internet suggest so, so I don't know?

And Bonus Question how many hours a week should a 14 years old work out? I've stopped weights and tried Push ups, not going to lie it's a bit hard :colondollar: , and how many reps of weights should I do?

Thanks for any comments or input

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
5'12.
Reply 2
Reply 3
Original post by Economi
5'12.

lol...

Original post by Pendulum3
Hi I'm 14 and I'm 5'12 (Big I know) and I was wondering if Weights and Squats stunt your growth, I get a bench press at home and I was meaning to use it to increase my muscle for sport, however my mates told me that it stunts my growth and I also read it on the internet, however when I did do weights I continued to grow and I'm now taller then my dad, so I'm uncertain, and apparently Squats are bad for your spine. My mum says I'm going to be a big guy when I'm older so don't risk it for weights just yet, but is there any truth to these claims that weights stunt your height and Squats damage your spine? The Internet suggest so, so I don't know?

And Bonus Question how many hours a week should a 14 years old work out? I've stopped weights and tried Push ups, not going to lie it's a bit hard :colondollar: , and how many reps of weights should I do?

Yes, serious injury and thus growth can be effected especially from the ages of 14-16; as the Epiphyseal growth Plate is one of the weakest areas in a growing skeleton.

How to avoid injury:

Avoid repetitive impact; same exercises/sports repetitively

Warm up and cool down correctly

Avoid obsessive loading on joints; IE do not go to heavy on exercises

Avoid obsessive training; 3-4 days a week MAX.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by $hadow
lol...

Yes, serious injury and thus growth can be effected especially from the ages of 14-16; as the Epiphyseal growth Plate is one of the weakest areas in a growing skeleton.

How to avoid injury:

Avoid repetitive impact; same exercises/sports repetitively

Warm up and cool down correctly

Avoid obsessive loading on joints; IE do not go to heavy on exercises

Avoid obsessive training; 3-4 days a week MAX.

Umm, I'm pretty sure I've squatted my max 5 times a week(mon-fri ) and they were always too my max for the last 6 months and dead lifted to my 5 rep max 2 times a week on top of my squats and I've never got injured.

Although I don't advocate this for someone who has been lifting for less than 2-3years.

You growth can only stunt if you damage an epiphyseal plate but this can be done by any sport or activity!

'It is reasonable to conclude that the old wives’ tale which states that weight lifting can stunt your growth is not only false, it is harmful. The risk of growth plate fracture from an accident during recreational activities is no reason for adolescents to be denied the many positive benefits of strength training.'

http://skinnybulkup.com/does-weight-lifting-stunt-growth/

also

http://www.livestrong.com/article/255755-does-lifting-weights-stunt-childrens-growth/
Reply 5
Original post by AMG44
Umm, I'm pretty sure I've squatted my max 5 times a week(mon-fri ) and they were always too my max for the last 6 months and dead lifted to my 5 rep max 2 times a week on top of my squats and I've never got injured.

Although I don't advocate this for someone who has been lifting for less than 2-3years.

You growth can only stunt if you damage an epiphyseal plate but this can be done by any sport or activity!

'It is reasonable to conclude that the old wives’ tale which states that weight lifting can stunt your growth is not only false, it is harmful. The risk of growth plate fracture from an accident during recreational activities is no reason for adolescents to be denied the many positive benefits of strength training.'

also

http://www.livestrong.com/article/255755-does-lifting-weights-stunt-childrens-growth/

Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by AMG44

also

Your 22, he's 14... If you read my post correctly I didn't specify anywhere in my post about squatting, I was speaking very generally about all exercise.

Additionally, I didn't say it will indefinitely reduce growth I said the chance of injury is way higher; and that in turn can cause damage to the Epiphyseal Growth Plate; leading to possible growth complications.

With regards to the sources you have posted; from a research prospective they have no reliability; whereas my information was provided by guidelines set by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) in my course manual for Personal Training for kids and Sports Massage Therapy - musculoskeletal pathology, so my information comes from a clinical source.

I would also like to add that the original poster's age makes him a "candidate" for developing Osgood-Schlatter's Disease if he "overtrains" at this age; especially if he puts his Patella Tendon under to much stress with repetitive heavy squatting.

But hey, if you choose to listen is totally up to you guys, I was just trying to help out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just don't go overboard, train 2-3 times a week and don't go too heavy until you've fully grown, nothing wrong with a bit of weight training, wish I started earlier than 18. It won't stunt your growth or damage your back (unless your form is really bad).
Reply 8
Bottom line from scientific literature.

'Many position stands and review papers have refuted the myths associated with resistance training (RT) in children and adolescents. With proper training methods, RT for children and adolescents can be relatively safe and improve overall health.'- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology position paper: resistance training in children and adolescents (2009)
Reply 9
Original post by Economi
5'12.

I was like wtf at your post

Then I realised
Reply 10
Hit the weights as hard as you want. It will produce testosterone and HGH naturally, so you'll grow taller and also have stronger bones.
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
Just don't go overboard, train 2-3 times a week and don't go too heavy until you've fully grown, nothing wrong with a bit of weight training, wish I started earlier than 18. It won't stunt your growth or damage your back (unless your form is really bad).

There's a blatant contradiction here mate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by study beats
i dont get it

5'12" = 6'0"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Converse Rocker
There's a blatant contradiction here mate.

Oh well, I typed that too long ago to care.

Plus, going 90% 1RM at 14 is a one way trip to snap city.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
Oh well, I typed that too long ago to care.

Sorry, this thread must've been bumped back from the grave mate. :smile:
I completely mucked up my knee at 15 by lifting whilst growing. Doc said that, for the way I was growing, doing heavy weights was a disaster.

Some people are fine; some aren't.

It didn't stunt my growth, though, as far as I know. Wouldn't want to be much taller than 6'4" anyway!

Having said that, the guy who got me into training at 14 was 5'10 then and is 5'10 now 11 years later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Plenty of short rugby players out there due to all those heavy weights at a young age... I think it's a myth about weights stunting your growth personally. Ultimately, your decision!
I’ve been squatting heavy and I’m 16(6ft) and I started o feel like my right leg(stronger leg) is 3cm shorter than the left one and I’m wondering How do I make that longer I mean how do I get back that lost Epiphyseal growth plate??
This thread is stupid, there's no evidence that lifting weights or doing any exercise will cause any stunting of growth. If anything it will make you slightly taller with bone responding to strain (i.e. sport) by adding more bone.
Original post by Pendulum3

Hi my mate names Michael, ive been squatting since iwas 3 and benching since I was 10, and I am 8 foot 10 so it doesn't it increases your growth, all I need is your bank details to access your growth potential

Quick Reply

Latest