The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

UCLan BSL & Deaf Studies 2014

Hello Everyone

I am currently looking at applying for next year (2014) to do British Sign Language & Deaf Studies at UCLan and just wondered if anyone is currently doing the course? I am really looking forward to applying for the course and it looks really interesting.

Do you get to do your BSL levels as you do the course?

Thanks

Tracey
Original post by Tracey13
Hello Everyone

I am currently looking at applying for next year (2014) to do British Sign Language & Deaf Studies at UCLan and just wondered if anyone is currently doing the course? I am really looking forward to applying for the course and it looks really interesting.

Do you get to do your BSL levels as you do the course?

Thanks

Tracey

Hi Tracey,
I've just completed my first year on BSL and Deaf Studies and it has been amazing. Yes, you do your BSL levels in the course, in each semester you do 3 modules, one of which will be a BSL module. Dependent on what sign level you are before you start University determines which level class you start on in. I started University with the basic alphabet and that was almost it, so I went into BSL100 where we learn everything from scratch. It goes at a nice pace and I've sat in level 2 classes as the year went on and the teaching of BSL is just fantastic. Modules in the course look at issues within the Deaf community and its culture, as well as its history. In the second year you pick either the interpreting route, or cultural route to study, the lecturers can advise you more on this in your first year as of which to take on what future career you wish to pursue.
Anything else, just ask, I'll try to remember to come on here more often :smile:

Paul :smile:
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
I'm starting this course too this year cannot wait heard amazing things about it from friends

Wendy
Original post by Slowstudent92
Hi Tracey,
I've just completed my first year on BSL and Deaf Studies and it has been amazing. Yes, you do your BSL levels in the course, in each semester you do 3 modules, one of which will be a BSL module. Dependent on what sign level you are before you start University determines which level class you start on in. I started University with the basic alphabet and that was almost it, so I went into BSL100 where we learn everything from scratch. It goes at a nice pace and I've sat in level 2 classes as the year went on and the teaching of BSL is just fantastic. Modules in the course look at issues within the Deaf community and its culture, as well as its history. In the second year you pick either the interpreting route, or cultural route to study, the lecturers can advise you more on this in your first year as of which to take on what future career you wish to pursue.
Anything else, just ask, I'll try to remember to come on here more often :smile:

Paul :smile:

Just to double check- do you need to know any sign language prior to the course? I only know the alphabet and basic greeting etc!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending