The Student Room Group

The Cancer Chat Thread- share and care :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AmorEmPaz
I'm sorry to hear that!
Just try your best and keep pushing on! I know how you feel; I'm now away from home at uni too and I've had to leave my dad dealing with my Mum's latest diagnosis :frown:

I'm doing a 17K challenge up and around Bristol gorge :smile: I'm raising money in memory of my grandad, 2 close family friends, to support my mum's fight and to celebrate my Dad's and Grandad's all clear :smile:

Yeah, I mean in a way I'm kind of glad that I'm here because I have to keep going and meet my deadlines. If I was at home I'd just be moping around. I'm just sad I can't visit him in hospital!
When I saw him last week though he said he was proud of me for doing well so far in university and he wants us all to do well. So I've got to keep going for him.
Reply 41
Original post by katehlouise
Yeah, I mean in a way I'm kind of glad that I'm here because I have to keep going and meet my deadlines. If I was at home I'd just be moping around. I'm just sad I can't visit him in hospital!
When I saw him last week though he said he was proud of me for doing well so far in university and he wants us all to do well. So I've got to keep going for him.

Do it :smile: :party:
I'm super worried because I move to Spain for my year abroad in August :/ I really really hope things start looking up with my mum before then x
Reply 42
Original post by MathsNerd1
That should complete the target :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:O :O
Thank you so so so much! That is incredible!
Penny Brohn truly are fantastic; they've turned my mum's life around :smile:
I really cannot thank you enough!
:party:
My dad was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma in May 2009, he's been in remission twice but we found out a month ago that it's back again :frown:

I've been experiencing similar symptoms to my dad so my doctor told me to get a CT scan, had that today and now I have to wait a week for the results :frown:

I'm so worried and stressed out, I have 8 A2 exams coming up as well :cry:
:O :O
Thank you so so so much! That is incredible!
Penny Brohn truly are fantastic; they've turned my mum's life around :smile:
I really cannot thank you enough!
:party:

It's for a good cause so I don't mind, I'm always donating towards good causes and have a monthly donation that goes to save the children, I just don't think I could use the money in a better way than helping others :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by iLoveRobSwire<3
My dad was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma in May 2009, he's been in remission twice but we found out a month ago that it's back again :frown:

I've been experiencing similar symptoms to my dad so my doctor told me to get a CT scan, had that today and now I have to wait a week for the results :frown:

I'm so worried and stressed out, I have 8 A2 exams coming up as well :cry:

Focus on your exams as much as you can. Try not to ponder on what may or may not be. Stay as positive as you can, but if you reaaallly think that this will have an impact on your exam results, get in contact with your tutor/teacher/college and discuss special consideration...I made the mistake of not taking them up on their offer during my A2's! xx
Reply 46
It's for a good cause so I don't mind, I'm always donating towards good causes and have a monthly donation that goes to save the children, I just don't think I could use the money in a better way than helping others :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs:
Reply 47
£110 raised now! So happy!!!

How is everyone today? x
Focus on your exams as much as you can. Try not to ponder on what may or may not be. Stay as positive as you can, but if you reaaallly think that this will have an impact on your exam results, get in contact with your tutor/teacher/college and discuss special consideration...I made the mistake of not taking them up on their offer during my A2's! xx

I've spoken to my head of year about it and she said she's going to write to the exam boards and explain what's going on but apparently they don't actually care about student's health unless it's something really serious :s-smilie:
£110 raised now! So happy!!!

How is everyone today? x

That's great! Congratulations! And I'm okay, although I've just been reminded that my Dad has his operation in a few weeks, still just putting it aside and getting on with the exams, none of my friends can tell either as I just keep it all hidden from them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Anonymous
OP, I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I really hope that the treatment works and that she recovers.

My dad had cancer when my mum was pregnant with me so I didn't have to experience the trauma of nursing him through it, but I have, of course, seen the effect it had on him since and I know it's not easy.

Last year I also found out that I have a hereditary gene which means that I have >80% risk of getting cancer and when I turn 25, they will start screening me for it. This makes me lucky in a way as it means there is more chance they will catch it early, but it sometimes feels like I have a death sentence hanging over me. Anyone else in a similar position?

I know the exact mutation you're talking about and I have a 50% chance of having it too but haven't been tested yet, I've never met someone with the same problem so I'm here to talk if you want! How old are you now and how long have you known about it?
Reply 51
That's great! Congratulations! And I'm okay, although I've just been reminded that my Dad has his operation in a few weeks, still just putting it aside and getting on with the exams, none of my friends can tell either as I just keep it all hidden from them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Put it aside as much as you can, but don't be afraid to confide in someone :smile:
Put it aside as much as you can, but don't be afraid to confide in someone :smile:

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind, but I'm hoping to do that once my exams are over and by then hopefully everything will be fine (I'm hoping it is) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind, but I'm hoping to do that once my exams are over and by then hopefully everything will be fine (I'm hoping it is) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed :biggrin:
I will keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed :biggrin:

Thanks! I'll let you know how it all goes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Thanks! I'll let you know how it all goes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, please do! :biggrin:
Yes, please do! :biggrin:

Will do, now I better go and get some Chemistry revision done as I'm going to get the A by doing nothing :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Will do, now I better go and get some Chemistry revision done as I'm going to get the A by doing nothing :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha good luck! :smile:
haha good luck! :smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mum had 3 tumours a couple of years ago. Once they were removed her symptoms improved dramatically and she went back to living a normal life. Unfortunately, they symptoms have come back recently. She had a biopsy done on Friday. We're waiting to hear back from the hospital. No idea how long it'll take. I'm annoyed I can't be with her right now. I had to come back to Uni for exams. I cannot even begin to imagine what she must be going through.

Quick Reply

Latest