The Student Room Group

Seriously demotivated

I'm meant to have done revision over the past week and a half, for my upcoming AS exams, and have done none. (Just as I have done no work besides homework throughout this first year of sixth form)

No matter what I do, I can't get myself to do work - I just don't care about it. I do want to go to a good university, and I realise that the work I do now will directly impact my chances of that, but despite knowing this, I still don't care.

Maybe I don't believe that these exams matter, or perhaps I even enjoy doing badly; I just don't understand why I don't want to work.

Any advice? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,

You just need to start. Once you get into a schedule then you'll start feeling bad about not doing any! Just try and start and then everything will come together and you won't believe you didn't start revision earlier! Trust me just try one day of revision.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Reply 2
If you're not motivated to work then you clearly don't want to go to a good university.
Reply 3
Original post by UKBrah
If you're not motivated to work then you clearly don't want to go to a good university.

But there's always time to start becoming motivated!
Reply 4
Original post by hayleyoung
But there's always time to start becoming motivated!

Well OP has a bit more than a month to fix up.

I say force yourself into doing the work, as Nike says Just Do It. Once you start doing work it'll become an obligation.
Original post by Treeroy
I'm meant to have done revision over the past week and a half, for my upcoming AS exams

AS exams! This is your life-changing opportunity so get revising noob. Everything is possible in year 12, by year 13 you're applying to universities and believe me UCAS opportunities will be distributed from each according to his merit.

I've known people having CDD in their January exams and then resitting and getting AAA and applying to five Russell Group universities.

I've worked extremely hard and got a decent UMS and actually made it to Cambridge but preferred LSE and I know exactly what it was like in year 12 but trust me this is your turning point in life.

Get revising, you'll rest as soon as early June and by that time you want to have that feeling that you have done absolutely everything you could in your capacity and power.

Even if you fail - which is highly unlikely - you'll be able to make a statement that you've done everything you could.
Reply 6
Original post by QueenOfSabotage
AS exams! This is your life-changing opportunity so get revising noob. Everything is possible in year 12, by year 13 you're applying to universities and believe me UCAS opportunities will be distributed from each according to his merit.

I've known people having CDD in their January exams and then resitting and getting AAA and applying to five Russell Group universities.

I've worked extremely hard and got a decent UMS and actually made it to Cambridge but preferred LSE and I know exactly what it was like in year 12 but trust me this is your turning point in life.

Get revising, you'll rest as soon as early June and by that time you want to have that feeling that you have done absolutely everything you could in your capacity and power.

Even if you fail - which is highly unlikely - you'll be able to make a statement that you've done everything you could.

Thank you for this, I'll remember this when I lack motivation! I would like to do Economics also and love it! Would you advise any revision techniques / Exam techniques?
Reply 7
Take a day out and break away from the routine - go for a swim, visit a friend or do something that you haven't done for a long time.

Then get cracking with the work, it'll help you focus.
Original post by Treeroy
I'm meant to have done revision over the past week and a half, for my upcoming AS exams, and have done none. (Just as I have done no work besides homework throughout this first year of sixth form)

No matter what I do, I can't get myself to do work - I just don't care about it. I do want to go to a good university, and I realise that the work I do now will directly impact my chances of that, but despite knowing this, I still don't care.

Maybe I don't believe that these exams matter, or perhaps I even enjoy doing badly; I just don't understand why I don't want to work.

Dude I'm in the exact same position as you, I'm even considering going to the doctor to ask if an have Attention Deficit Disorder

I KNOW that this is the turning point in my life
I failed all of my January exams and have 10 exams starting in 3 weeks
I WANT to get into university
But I just can't start doing work.

Posted from TSR iPad
Reply 9
Original post by QueenOfSabotage
trust me this is your turning point in life

This is exactly the problem - the rest of my life revolves around this point, and I don't really care.

Original post by anonymouse01
Dude I'm in the exact same position as you, I'm even considering going to the doctor to ask if an have Attention Deficit Disorder

I KNOW that this is the turning point in my life
I failed all of my January exams and have 10 exams starting in 3 weeks
I WANT to get into university
But I just can't start doing work.

Posted from TSR iPad

You're definitely in the same boat as me. Failing my January exams hasn't been a motivational boost to work harder.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Treeroy

I know how you feel but i'm just going to say that it's best to just force yourself to revise, because if you don't and you end up not doing so well in June you may not have the option to apply to the unis you want to go to, and if you can't it might just demotivate you even more into depression, trust me you don't want to give up and waste that whole year just to get Es and Us. go to a library or get rid of any distraction and sit yourself down with some notes or books, i don't know if it'll work for you but just try and do some work so you won't regret it like I kinda did, it's so demotivating when you know you could have done better but you wasted your time and limited your future, some people get more motivated, some don't, you just don't want to be in the position where your future is a huge gamble. My friends who got all As just get to sit back and not worry about that and just worry about their final exams, I have to be thinking about all my resits and what I might have to do on results day and clearing choices i may be interested in if all does not end up well. Yes, i'm trying to scare you into doing work, I hope it worked to an extent.
Reply 11
Original post by Treeroy
This is exactly the problem - the rest of my life revolves around this point, and I don't really care.

You clearly do care if you've written the post in the first place.
you're gonna bitterly regret this laziness later. all you need to do is make a start, get a few past papers and dive in. Once you've made the first step the rest just follow.
Reply 13
Original post by 2late
Take a day out and break away from the routine - go for a swim, visit a friend or do something that you haven't done for a long time.

Then get cracking with the work, it'll help you focus.

I visited a friend over the weekend, and that hasn't been much help.

Original post by lazershus
I know how you feel but i'm just going to say that it's best to just force yourself to revise, because if you don't and you end up not doing so well in June you may not have the option to apply to the unis you want to go to, and if you can't it might just demotivate you even more into depression, trust me you don't want to give up and waste that whole year just to get Es and Us. go to a library or get rid of any distraction and sit yourself down with some notes or books, i don't know if it'll work for you but just try and do some work so you won't regret it like I kinda did, it's so demotivating when you know you could have done better but you wasted your time and limited your future, some people get more motivated, some don't, you just don't want to be in the position where your future is a huge gamble. My friends who got all As just get to sit back and not worry about that and just worry about their final exams, I have to be thinking about all my resits and what I might have to do on results day and clearing choices i may be interested in if all does not end up well. Yes, i'm trying to scare you into doing work, I hope it worked to an extent.

I know all of that, but it doesn't help.
If I try to revise "without distractions" then I daydream or I doodle on the paper.

You're all telling me to just force myself to revise, but I don't know how to do this.

In this holiday in particular, I've had the burden of coming to terms with my sexuality hanging in my head - it's all I've been thinking about - but I'm not going to try and blame everything on that. I have depression, too, a symptom of which is being unmotivated; but I'm not sure if that's the issue either, since I don't want to feel better. (The GP told me I need to see a psychiatrist to help my depression, but I haven't done so as I don't like being helped.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Treeroy
I know all of that, but it doesn't help.
If I try to revise "without distractions" then I daydream or I doodle on the paper.

You're all telling me to just force myself to revise, but I don't know how to do this.

well all i can do is warn you, if you really want to help yourself you will work out a way. if you want to go to a good uni, you HAVE to revise, so you can either not revise and not get into the uni you want or any uni at all, or revise and have your pick. maybe you don't actually want to go to uni deep down, but either way i can only recommend that you do your best now so you at least have the option.

if you're stuck in a place with only books it won't take too long before you run out of things to daydream about, i'm a pretty huge daydreamer but you can't spend 4 hours just daydreaming, something that's really good is getting a tutor, even if you don't need the help i've found that it helps to actually do work, i personally didn't need a tutor to understand my work because i get it if i actually spend time reading, i needed one to revise and actually spend time studying cos i also find it hard to get into revision, so if all else fails, get a tutor, although they can be expensive.
Reply 15
maybe you don't actually want to go to uni deep down, but either way i can only recommend that you do your best now so you at least have the option.

I think this is quite possible. The only things that are really tempting me to go to university are that I can get away from home, and that I might be able to have engaging relationships with people.

i'm a pretty huge daydreamer but you can't spend 4 hours just daydreaming

I beg to differ. I do it all the time.

something that's really good is getting a tutor, even if you don't need the help i've found that it helps to actually do work, i personally didn't need a tutor to understand my work because i get it if i actually spend time reading, i needed one to revise and actually spend time studying cos i also find it hard to get into revision, so if all else fails, get a tutor, although they can be expensive.

I am having my first tutor session on Saturday, but it's only for help with mechanics. I don't know if there's time to have a tutor before exams start, even if I wanted one.
DUDE YOU sound just like me.

I got rid of iPad, iPhone, laptops everything. I sat down at my desk, concentrated for about 5 minutes and then started fiddling with pencils

Posted from TSR iPad
Original post by Treeroy
I think this is quite possible. The only things that are really tempting me to go to university are that I can get away from home, and that I might be able to have engaging relationships with people.

I beg to differ. I do it all the time.

I am having my first tutor session on Saturday, but it's only for help with mechanics. I don't know if there's time to have a tutor before exams start, even if I wanted one.

that's true, but really all i can tell you is that if you don't revise well then that's that, even if you do last minute revision it's better than nothing, and about the daydreaming thing, i'm sorry but 4 hours doing nothing but daydreaming is too much to do regularly, fair enough if you do other things in between but just sitting and daydreaming for that long isn't right and if you don't start trying to make some effort it will only get worse and before you know it your life has slipped past.

and i know what you mean about only wanting to go to uni for those reason, my primary reason is to leave my house and be independent because i don't get to make my own decisions at home, but also i want a good job to make decent money for living and that's easier to get with a good degree and that's what i'm going to use to motivate myself. and you're not going to leave your house if you don't study.

i can't help you, but honestly good luck.
Original post by Treeroy

I don't know whether my situation will help you but how much work did you feel like you'd done when you didn't do as well as you hoped in your January exams?
Im my AS Jan exams I was so confident afterwards and felt like I'd done sooo much work, i got ADD and just didn't understand how I got the D's so because I worked so hard before it made me think whats the point but then I realised the importance of it and worked my socks off in summer and my AS grades were ABC which I was a lot more thrilled with.
Then came January A2... and I was re-sitting my philosophy AS and just as I'd finished my first essay and was about to do the conclusion (there is 2 essays to do in this exam) I realised I'd done a whole essay on the wrong person :frown: I was so tempted to cry and run out BUT I DIDN'T... I've never written so quick in my life and managed to do both essays with almost half the time gone, obviously I was expecting the worse but somehow I managed to get a high B, it was unbelievable so even in the times of great despair do not give up!! From me not giving up I've put myself in a brilliant position for my summer exams
I have 3 exams (and general studies) and I need to get BCC in them to get AAB overall, and it's taken the pressure off so much more!! I go on getrevising.co.uk a lot of the time, but not really to look at other peoples work but to turn my notes into quizzes and mind-maps and then you can keep quizzing yourself until you're remembering facts and figures etc!!

You can do it!!! :biggrin:

..Oh and as of yesterday I have deleted Facebook/twitter/instagram and I leave my phone upstairs when I revise and DONT revise with music
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by treeroy
i'm meant to have done revision over the past week and a half, for my upcoming as exams, and have done none. (just as i have done no work besides homework throughout this first year of sixth form)

no matter what i do, i can't get myself to do work - i just don't care about it. I do want to go to a good university, and i realise that the work i do now will directly impact my chances of that, but despite knowing this, i still don't care.

Maybe i don't believe that these exams matter, or perhaps i even enjoy doing badly; i just don't understand why i don't want to work.

PULL THOSE SOCKS UP MAGGOT

these exams will determine whether your going to cambridge or scunthorpe technical college, the choice is in your hands, start revising before its too late, imagine your sad little face at scunthorpe.

E: it's called drill-seargant motivation, thanks for negging me.

PS take a serious attitude, this sort of motivation got me offers from Imperial, UCL and pooled at Cambridge. So say what you like but it worked for me.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending