The Student Room Group

Allergic reaction ? advice HELP

Hi when I was 13-14 I got blonde high lights in my hair, then when I went to put a full head die on I had a massive allergic reaction my face swelled up etc, it seems as though my body would allow highlights/lowlights but not a full head die..
I am wanting highlights or low lights again and I now have a skin test done on the back of my ear how long before I should notice a reaction? For anyone know I need to leave it on for 24hours but when should I notice signs if am allergic to this die?
Thanks please help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Does anyone know sorry! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'd leave it 48 hours, the reaction could happen at any point during those 48 hours. It's best to be safe :smile: bad reactions can be horrific
You should wait 48 hours for the skin test.

Be really careful because once you've had an allergic reaction to hair dye you get sensitised to it and are much more likely to have another one.

I think you didn't react to the highlights because they normally use foils so the dye doesn't actually touch your scalp. Maybe it would be a better idea to get your hair dyed using a full head of foils rather than using a home dye if you can afford it. Also you are much more likely to have a reaction to a dark dye rather than a light one.
Reply 4
Yes when I had the reaction I was 13-14 I'm now 19 nothing has came up on the skin test, but quick question if I get highlights and then want to go back to brown I know I can't have a full head dye so do u think getting low lights in my hair will gradually go back to dark brown?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by bdeans
Yes when I had the reaction I was 13-14 I'm now 19 nothing has came up on the skin test, but quick question if I get highlights and then want to go back to brown I know I can't have a full head dye so do u think getting low lights in my hair will gradually go back to dark brown?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're dying darker (you said lowlights so yes) then there's no bleaching involved, so the low lights will most likely fade a bit over time. It depends how much darker you're talking as to whether they'll fade back to your base colour rather than grow out in an obvious way.
Reply 6
I'm thinking about a mix of both just I have very dark brown hair, not sure what will really go, I just wasn't sure whether I should get blonde/golden lights then if I change my mind in a few month can I gradually go back brown by getting low lights? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by bdeans
I'm thinking about a mix of both just I have very dark brown hair, not sure what will really go, I just wasn't sure whether I should get blonde/golden lights then if I change my mind in a few month can I gradually go back brown by getting low lights? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see. Well sure, it won't be hard for a hairdresser to locate the highlights and foil them individually. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest