The Student Room Group

John Lewis Assessment Day? Any tips?

Got an email inviting me to an assessment out of the blue (I genuinely forgot I had even applied) and the only assessment I could book for is this Friday!

Can anyone help me out with what the assessment is like? What would I have to do? Any particular questions to answer?

This will be my third interview in three days, and while TSR helped me out with the other two (both with Boots; different stores) I can't seem to find anything about this!

I really need to get one of these jobs to fit with my other one because I will have no money over summer (all goes on rent/bills as no student loan on summer).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
I had one of these last year, around September time I think it was. I'll write down all of the information I can remember from the day.

It was me and a group of about twenty others. We were all taken into a conference type room and all had to sit on tables in groups of about five. First a woman told us what the day would involve (we were there for about an hour/hour and a half I think) and then she gave a presentation on the company.

Each table had an assessor (manager, section manager etc) who sat at each of the tables and rotated between tables with each exercise, taking notes. In our tables we first had to introduce ourselves to one another, easy enough.

Then we got given an "ice breaker" game to play with everyone in which we were given sheets with things written on like "is an only child" "has ever been to America" and so forth and we had to go up to one another and find a person who had done one of those things on the sheet. The first person to cross off all of the things on the sheet won the game. This is to see how confident you are in talking to other people and that you're not afraid to just dive in there so just be confident and go up to as many people as you can.

After that we sat back at our tables again and got given a group exercise. We were given a sheet with different scenarios on it, stuff that is likely to happen in store. Then we had to discuss amongst ourselves and come to a decision on what the best action would be to take, ranging from the best one to the worst. This is a chance to show your confidence in your ability to make a decision well. If someone at your table disagrees with you then listen to their point and acknowledge it but stick to your decision if you believe it's the best one and come to an amicable agreement. The assessor will also be looking for how well you decide on things as a team too. There was also another exercise in which it had a list of qualities on a sheet and you and your group had to pick, I think it was five qualities, most suited for an employee to work at John Lewis.

Finally in our tables we each got given a sheet with a product on it that they sell in John Lewis (could be from any department) with a list of the features of the product and you had to sell that product to your table. You can write notes too if you need to. You only have to sell it for about 3 minutes so don't worry. Just list all of the benefits of the product, the features will help you sell it well.

That's all I can remember from it so I hope I've been some help. Somebody else may be able to give you more information who's had an assessment more recently than me.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheCreed

Ah, that's so helpful!

Thank you so much :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending