The Student Room Group

TSR Entrepreneurs Society

Scroll to see replies

Anyone gone through grant funding?

I'm starting an equestrian business. A centre for therapeutic care for horse; basically for post-vetrinary care, training, etc. There are a few in England, but none in Scotland and I want to build this into a teaching and learning facility so lecture theatres for equine vets, farriers, chiropractors, trainers, etc. I have several world-renowned professionals who have written letters of support that they would like to be able to come and lecture and hold clinics at my facility when completed.

Alongside this, I want to run an outreach program to young offenders, drug addicts, and at-risk youths. The plan being to give them not only social and personal skills through equine assisted therapy, but to also give them work experience, training and placements with the professionals who will be using the facility.

So I'm looking at grant funding to get this off the ground. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of grant writing and were they successful?
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I do barista training and consultancy for really cheap.

You aren't my brother....are you? :K:
How do you get involved in startups?

Now I work full time I wouldn't have the time to run a full time business, however I could work on it part time. I'd just need someone who can look after the day to day running (a co-founder) whilst I look after the finances.

I've heard a lot about getting involved in start ups but where do you actually find them?
Reply 83
work in startups (its a website), brah

I got involved with my first startup when I saw an ad on the Oxford Careers Service website. After much boring stuff happened, I flew out to Makati and interned at an eCommerce startup. After some more boring stuff, I flew to Nigeria for another eCommerce startup. "Insert drama here", got deported and ended working in recruitment.

"Insert boring stuff here", recruitment didn't prove too well in my field so got made redundant. After some time spent bumming around, decided needed to do something, so currently working as an intern at a startup incubator.

I may have slightly over simplified things here but its generally how it works minus deportation, being shot at and heisted by corrupt police
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BlackHawk
You aren't my brother....are you? :K:

I'm not, but reading your post above it might creep you out to know my sister is doing Zoology, works at the Zoo, and wants to set up cat shelters on tropical islands. I wonder if our families raised us in a particular way? :h:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I'm not, but reading your post above it might creep you out to know my sister is doing Zoology, works at the Zoo, and wants to set up cat shelters on tropical islands. I wonder if our families raised us in a particular way? :h:

I did Zoology at Aberdeen for a couple of years :yes: Interesting.

If your a barista in London there's a good chance you'll know my brother.
Reply 86
Original post by BlackHawk
Anyone gone through grant funding?

I'm starting an equestrian business. A centre for therapeutic care for horse; basically for post-vetrinary care, training, etc. There are a few in England, but none in Scotland and I want to build this into a teaching and learning facility so lecture theatres for equine vets, farriers, chiropractors, trainers, etc. I have several world-renowned professionals who have written letters of support that they would like to be able to come and lecture and hold clinics at my facility when completed.

Alongside this, I want to run an outreach program to young offenders, drug addicts, and at-risk youths. The plan being to give them not only social and personal skills through equine assisted therapy, but to also give them work experience, training and placements with the professionals who will be using the facility.

So I'm looking at grant funding to get this off the ground. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of grant writing and were they successful?

wow how have you got world renowned professionals to show internet in going when you haven't even started yet?
Original post by non
wow how have you got world renowned professionals to show internet in going when you haven't even started yet?

I gave up a well-paid senior management job and threw everything into working for well known equestrian industry professionals on a voluntary basis. Worked for two years doing 6 days a week for no pay and I got a lot of respect and interest from professionals for my hardwork and dedication to my goal.

Basically with a lot of work. I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I'm done with that stage of things.
Reply 88
Hi,
I'm 16 and been interested in starting an enterprise for years, but only recently have I looked into this in more depth.

I have contacted my local environmental health department and they have given me the information I need. Anyway, what is my business idea? I want to create a new smoothie brand, selling the healthiest drinks, with the best tastes (obviously I will do more work with the drinks later, trialling different flavours etc but at the moment I need to sort out the business model).

Obviously at the moment I am unable to open a smoothie bar - and probably could only raise a few hundred pounds, so I was thinking about turning an ice cream bike or food cart into the place I sell the drinks from? What do you think about starting a small business like this? Do you think I will stand a chance against my competitors (Mcdonalds for example) that sell fruit blends?
Reply 89
You're like 16. Leverage the fact you have loads of hyper active sugar craving lunatics in your local demographic. Why not get your schools permission to run a lunchtime smoothie stall or summit?

If they so no to your idea, tell them that they don't support young entrepreneurship and that you will go to the press and shame their lack of cooperative spirit
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bloodbath
You're like 16. Leverage the fact you have loads of hyper active sugar craving lunatics in your local demographic. Why not get your schools permission to run a lunchtime smoothie stall or summit?

If they so no to your idea, tell them that they don't support young entrepreneurship and that you will go to the press and shame their lack of cooperative spirit

They'd laugh in your face lol.
Reply 91
The smoothies ship sailed a long time ago, and I don't think you were on it.
Original post by Vulpes
What kind of business are you talking about? And what is your specialty? Are you the marketeer, developer, designer?

I agree that taking the first step and getting the confidence to tell people about your idea isn't easy. I always get this slight fear that my ideas will get scoffed at. But its by talking to as many people as possible, that you can reshape your idea, improve your pitch and meet possible partners in the future.

I think an important thing about entrepreneurship is building a strong and well-formed team, which is the area I'm lacking in at the moment. You can't manage a business by yourself, no matter how much effort you put into it, and you have to accept that there will be other people who can do the job better than you.

Yes you can.
Reply 93
Hey guys,

I've started a learner driver help blog. It's in it's very early stages, haven't even bought a domain yet. I'm going to be adding content to it when I get spare minutes (I work full time) so hopefully it will start attracting views when it's got some good content.

It's not making money yet- probably going to wait until I am getting about 500 hits a day until I stick adverts on it. Do you think that'd earn me anything?

I'm planning big for it, although it's going to take a lot of time and work!
Original post by Vulpes
Ah, thats great.

Can you perhaps write a short review / recommendation on it? When I get the time (possibly after exams), I was thinking of expanding some resources in this forum, such as information on accelerators, startup weekends and recommended reading too!

Any of you read The Lean Startup? I have a copy of the book but haven't had the time to read it yet. :smile:

By Eric Reis the founder of IMVU ? Yeah I have read it, it's a really cool book and puts the idea of being an entrepreneur into a perspective which a lot of people don't recognize. I found it to be a pretty cool book.
Reply 95
Fellas!!
Entrepreneurship has a growth phase and sometimes, what you desire to dig deep into eventually metamorphoses into a different sector. Sometimes too, the ultimate dream is so big that the current level of resources cannot suffice. It then dawns on the entrepreneur to start from a differently pretty cheap venture, raise adequate capital then embark on the ultimate goal.
This is what I did. I studied Banking and finance and got fascinated by MICRO-FINANCE a field which has developed so quick in Africa but I was not even familiar with the terrain in Africa. This gave me moments of though and review. I then ended up in China for an Internship through one of these Internship recruitment companies. On my trip, I met some pretty nice Africans who I got along with then I started exporting Energy Saving Bulbs to Ghana in Africa. These started after I had paid a visit to Ghana and loved the place. Then I raised more than enough capital for Starting my Micro Finance and voa la!!!!! I am now doing MSc Economics but all is well.

There is a developing area of interest which is social capital and entrepreneurs have to get acquainted with exploring it to the max. All I wanna say here is that lets keep networking with the right people who are located at strategic points and countries because I am a living testimony of where networking could carry us all. We cant trust easily but we have to trust someone at the end of it all in order to succeed. Lets get curious, lets defy all the myths circulating on the internet and othe media about some countries and locations
I have started to put together few pages on the topic Social Capital and will upload it here for ll to read.
Reply 96
Original post by Runninground
How do you get involved in startups?

Now I work full time I wouldn't have the time to run a full time business, however I could work on it part time. I'd just need someone who can look after the day to day running (a co-founder) whilst I look after the finances.

I've heard a lot about getting involved in start ups but where do you actually find them?

This is where networking is relevant keep talking to people, keep selling your Ideas and keep studying those who express interests. Take then to dinner, observe their mannerisms and their approach, Play games together, get to know how aggressive they get.
Then, you could recruit a pretty cool headed individual who shares passionately into your dreams.
Also look back to college or university, and recall those guys that you admired all that while and contact them for a possible partnership.
I hope this advice helps
Reply 99
for all the entrepreneurs here... what do you think is the most motivating drive that keeps you going when building your new business (despite all the setbacks and mountain to climb)???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending