The Student Room Group

Guys, Would you be friends with and ex girlfriend?

The reason im asking is because me and my ex boyfriend speak everyday and are on good terms with one another.

I guess im curious as to why hes in contact with me so often and why he doesnt cut me off like my other exs have?

We broke up a year ago and he has a girlfriend now so it makes no sense to me.

So im curious as to what would make you want to carry on speaking to an ex and what would make you not want to bother with them again?
Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
Monkey branching, one day he'll try to hit it again.
Original post by Anonymous
The reason im asking is because me and my ex boyfriend speak everyday and are on good terms with one another.

I guess im curious as to why hes in contact with me so often and why he doesnt cut me off like my other exs have?

We broke up a year ago and he has a girlfriend now so it makes no sense to me.

So im curious as to what would make you want to carry on speaking to an ex and what would make you not want to bother with them again?

I speak to my ex boyfriend not everyday but we are on friendly terms. I'm not entirely sure why I kept in touch with him, we had a reasonably good relationship and at least from my POV the break up wasn't hugely acrimonious, he was heart broken and to I an extent I still loved him. I still do though not in quite the same way. I gave it a few months to cool off before I met up with him, I wasn't going to do the whole cliche lets be friends thing two seconds after the break up. But he said if we couldn't be together he would rather have me as a friend than not have me in his life at all. coincidently he moved to where I live now a month after I did but I haven't actually seen him since my dad died, we have texted occasionally on birthdays, Christmas and I told him when I got new job.

Have you thought maybe he keeps in contact because he likes you, (not in a want you back kind of way) but just that you're a nice person and he would like to keep you as a good friend. If its not emotionally hurting you in anyway and he is not being flirty or acting like he wants more then I don't see the problem.
Reply 4
I tried to be friends with my ex... we broke up because of the distance. he's in denmark and i'm from uk now... but originally we are both from one country. after the break-up we didn't speak at all and suddenly we started talking to each other and 'being friendly'...However,it all ended even worse.. now it's awkward and i'm a bit scared that there still might be feeling involved... so i woul say NO... don't be friends.. it's your past.. keep moving forward. :smile:
Reply 5
Uh, I think the last time I tried to be "friends" with an ex it was because I was trying to get her back.
But in general, no.
Depends on the ex. It might be that he has vague unformed plans and hopes to hit it again in the future.

More likely in this case maybe he just likes you enough as a person to remain friends.

I know it's a dominant factor in male-female relationships but this is 2013, believe it or not guys and girls can be just friends.

Not every guy sees every woman in his life as a potential **** to secure, qutie a lot of them yes, but not all. Try not to over-think OP unless you still have residual feelings and the problem is rather you're confusion, he sounds like he is happy with arrangements.
Nothing wrong with being friends with an ex it just gets awkward when you or they bring up past exploits from your relationship especially the sexual ones cause eventually one of you will say i miss that and your not quite sure whether they are hinting or just stating a fact.
But overall i'm friends with all my exs and still friends with their friendship groups
Reply 8
I'm still fairly friendly with one ex but would hate the thought of being friends with the other two. One ex we saw each other a few times after due to mutual friends and we ended up sleeping together a few times and that ended even more awkwardly and badly than the relationship now we pretty much hate each other. Another I just don't really like being around, hes not horrible or anything but without the romantic feelings theres no interest at all. The third we ended up on good friendly terms and speak regularly.

so from my experience; every breakup and pair of exes is different and deal with each other in their own way so trying to decide what is good from other peoples experience and anecdotes is a waste of time. Just do what seems right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending