The Student Room Group

When should you start looking for a graduate job?

I am just at the end of my 2nd year at University, but I was just wondering when I should start applying for graduate jobs/when did you start applying?

I feel its far too soon however I've heard that people start applying from July to September.
Original post by AdviceSeeker09
I am just at the end of my 2nd year at University, but I was just wondering when I should start applying for graduate jobs/when did you start applying?

I feel its far too soon however I've heard that people start applying from July to September.

If you're approaching the end of year 2, you have a whole year until you would start a graduate job. I suppose it depends upon which area you're looking to go down. But if you do a bit of research on graduate jobs that are currently available, look at the start date of the jobs.

I, personally, think it makes sense to start looking when you go back to University in year 3, as that way you'll have your year 2 grades to use as evidence.
Research companies during the summer and then start applying around September. A lot of deadlines are around Christmas time, and quite a few even before then so don't leave it too late.
Your Uni Careers Service should ramp up things for you going into your Final Year. Check what general workshops, talks etc are on offer plus presentations from employers etc. There will also be Graduate Schemes etc and you need to apply for most of those in the Autumn Term. In the meantime, get as much 'experience' on your CV as possible - this summer you need to get a job/placement directly related to the work you want to do. Again the Careers Service will have details about whats on offer.

If you need some inspiration, this is a really good place for ideas about Social Science related work : http://www.w4mpjobs.org/SearchJobs.aspx?search=alljobs (scroll down the page a bit to see the job/internship ads etc).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I personally would start 6 months to a year before I actually graduate. :dontknow: really.

Quick Reply

Latest